Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many bars do you get on your 3G/4G connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since picking up my MS last week I have noticed that I never have more than 1 or 2 bars for my LTE connection (DC Metro area). And to no surprise, the web browsing is incredibly slow. Anyone else have the same issue?

I don't believe I've seen more than 3 bars. But the browser is INCREDIBLY slow -- it is SO slow compared to any other browser device I use that its one of the weakest "performance" areas of the car. It would be great if it worked at least as well as budget computers...

My car is less than a week old, but so far, I mostly have 1-2 bars with frequent dropouts AND I have been on a few routes where the map won't load and it is nothing but grid squares. I can have 5 bars on my phone and the Model S will only have 1-2 bars.

Over 28,000 miles and two years I recall mostly 2-2 bars. rarely does it lose signal but almost never does it seem very strong. The browser is so slow that I almost never use it, I use my phone or tablet for anything I need in the car with rare exceptions.
This is one of my few serious peeves with the car. I agree we ought not to be browsing while driving but we do need things like Waze, local information and so on. That stuff should be coordinated with the Navigation system too, which is my other serious peeve with the car. Luckily my phone/tablet can do all that, but...

• Helpful
Reactions: azred
It might say LTE, but I doubt the speed is LTE. On average 1 or 2 bars. A few times 3 bars. Rarely above that through out most of Los Angeles County. Which I know for sure get great ATT/TMOBLE/VERIZON signal in most places.

I wish they get rid of browser and put something useful

I upgraded from 3G to LTE. Definitely fewer bars on LTE than on phone or 3G in car used to be. Mostly 1 or 2 except when right next to the antenna. But reception is way faster since the upgrade, so I think you folks who have only had LTE are just seeing the slow browser, not bad reception. Browser upgrade promised, we'll see...
Also...remember that the phone companies usually do show lots of bars regardless of actual signal - they compete with each other and it is a "bars race" to show better reception than the other providers...

I picked up a 2015 P85D and I only ever see 1 to 2 bars of LTE. I live in a pretty densely populated area which has good coverage from all carriers. Is the case on newer Model S's as well? Have people just accepted this as the status quo?

My LTE Shows 1-2 bars usually, I have seen full bars on highway when passing a cell tower before. Never had any streaming dropouts with 1 bar or map loading issues. Browse just sucks, even on WiFi its slow.

As far as antenna placement, I know on my MS its in the left hand side mirror according to the service manual. (And I saw an antenna connector when I took my door panel off) WiFi is in the right mirror. It says a bad antenna needs a full mirror replacement per the guide.