TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How many bars do you get on your 3G/4G connection?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by BBB4000, Dec 21, 2016.

1. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Since picking up my MS last week I have noticed that I never have more than 1 or 2 bars for my LTE connection (DC Metro area). And to no surprise, the web browsing is incredibly slow. Anyone else have the same issue?

2. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

I don't believe I've seen more than 3 bars. But the browser is INCREDIBLY slow -- it is SO slow compared to any other browser device I use that its one of the weakest "performance" areas of the car. It would be great if it worked at least as well as budget computers...

3. Ohji

Ohji Member

My car is less than a week old, but so far, I mostly have 1-2 bars with frequent dropouts AND I have been on a few routes where the map won't load and it is nothing but grid squares. I can have 5 bars on my phone and the Model S will only have 1-2 bars.

4. kfecher

kfecher New Member

I have the same exact issue. Just picked up my Model S on Monday and map image loading is very poor. I have great mobile service where i live. Open to any suggestions.

5. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

1-3 bars in the San Diego area when my phone has 4-5. No drop outs yet but image loading is poor overall.

6. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Sounds like a poor antenna location issue

• Like x 1
  7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Over 28,000 miles and two years I recall mostly 2-2 bars. rarely does it lose signal but almost never does it seem very strong. The browser is so slow that I almost never use it, I use my phone or tablet for anything I need in the car with rare exceptions.
    This is one of my few serious peeves with the car. I agree we ought not to be browsing while driving but we do need things like Waze, local information and so on. That stuff should be coordinated with the Navigation system too, which is my other serious peeve with the car. Luckily my phone/tablet can do all that, but...

• Helpful x 1
  8. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

It might say LTE, but I doubt the speed is LTE. On average 1 or 2 bars. A few times 3 bars. Rarely above that through out most of Los Angeles County. Which I know for sure get great ATT/TMOBLE/VERIZON signal in most places.

I wish they get rid of browser and put something useful

9. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

I upgraded from 3G to LTE. Definitely fewer bars on LTE than on phone or 3G in car used to be. Mostly 1 or 2 except when right next to the antenna. But reception is way faster since the upgrade, so I think you folks who have only had LTE are just seeing the slow browser, not bad reception. Browser upgrade promised, we'll see...
    Also...remember that the phone companies usually do show lots of bars regardless of actual signal - they compete with each other and it is a "bars race" to show better reception than the other providers...

10. jdc1

jdc1 Member

My new MS 90D, SF Bay area, is constantly shifting from a few bars to none. At most I have seen four bars transiently. For an LTE connection the speed is dismal. I have asked for service to address this issue, if they cam.

11. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

Really, the speed is the Tesla browser - that is why there will be a new one "shortly"...you should have seen the "speed" on 3G...but do let us know if Service can come up with anything...