Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Considering Model X or Much Less Expensive Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this in the MX forum, but it really has equal application in the MS form. Bit of an odd post / question but here goes.

A few months ago, a neighbour of mine purchased a MX and while I thought it was a "cool car", my reaction was that "you must be out of your mind to spend that kind of money on a Tesla,(here in Canada, a nicely equipped MX 100D, (no P) is about $140,000) when you can get a 911 (a couple of years old) for similar money. (I appreciate that the MX can hold 6 or 7 people and can effectively replace a Van for many families. I am really just making a point, that if I was going to spend that kind of serious money on a car, I would only do it on something like a 911 (fill in the blank).

Fast forward a month or two and the lease on my existing car is coming up so I have begun the process of looking for a replacement. For me, half the enjoyment (if not more) is the process of reading, researching, test driving and looking for another car.

I briefly thought about a Tesla but (i) I have never, ever, spent any where near that kind of money on a car; and (ii) if I were to consider spending that kind of money on a car...see above.

Fast forward another month, and I started spending some time on these forums, watching MX road trip YouTube videos and reading every thing I could about the MX. Then I went my local "store" and test drove an MX with my kids. Needless to say, I was blown away on so many levels (and I am now officially "obsessed").

So where am I now? While I am still uncertain about spending that kind of money on any car, I have actually done a complete 180 and I am now of the view that if I were going to spend that kind of money, I would ONLY consider spending it on a MX.

So here's my question. While I know from reading the forums that several of the posters here own (and have owned) lots of expensive cars before purchasing their MX and I would wager that when people cross shop cars, they are generally looking at different cars from different manufacturer, but in a similar category / price point.

What I am really asking is how many out there, were willing to spend this kind of money on an MX (or MS etc) but would never have considered spending this kind of money on an ICE? (Maybe I will get an MX, or a Mini Cooper clubman.)

In addition to the actual drive of the vehicle, is it a combination of environmentally friendly, being on the cutting edge of technology, being part of a still relatively exclusive club and being at the forefront of the next stage in sustainable transportation? Obviously I am still wrestling with my decision and I am not looking for anyone to give me an answer; I am simply curious whether others out there are in a similar situation.

Thanx in advance.

Reactions: IdaX and dragonxt
I have done that... twice ! For an S 3 years ago and this year we change our second car for an X. In both case each car cost 3 times more than the car it replace!

First was the environmentally friendliness, then to be able to charge from solar at home and then for the cutting edge technology.

All other cars feel so "last century" now...

I bought my first car, a 1998 Honda CR-V in 2008. That car was totaled in 2014 (not my fault), and I bought a 2009 Hyundai i30 CW. Then this year, I bought a Model X 100D. That's my car ownership history thus far.

I wouldn't consider spending as much money on an ICE car. I might consider an Audi etron or Jaguar i-Pace, but ever since I test drove a Model S back in 2012, I knew that I would be buying an electric car.

I actually reserved a a Model X back in 2012, but then I had to prioritize some other stuff and cancelled the reservation in 2013. Then I reserved again in 2014, and cancelled again in 2016. Then I finally went through with the purchase this year, after my TSLA shares did quite well.

The reason why I've wanted a Tesla is that electric is vastly superior. I also love technology, and I think the world will go to 100% electric cars. I prefer being a part of the revolution than stand on the sideline and watch it happen. It will be something to tell the grandchildren, some day. :)

I would never consider spending this much money on any ICE car. While the vehicle is much more expensive (over twice) than any car I've owned, I don't expect the total cost of ownership to be any higher than my previous vehicle for the following reasons:
  • Cost of electricity will be notably cheaper than cost of gas
  • Maintenance will be significantly cheaper than my previous ICE vehicle
  • I expect my X to outlast my previous ICE vehicle (due to mostly aluminum body and sealed undercarriage). Might have twice the longevity of my previous ICE vehicle, so it's effectively two cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: rush6410
As a growing family we needed a bigger car. Both wife and I are trying to avoid minivan but we do not want a "regular" LSUV because the 3rd row seats are usually useless when you have 2 car seats in the 2nd row. Then the Model X came along which seems to be very kids friendly with the FWD design and motorized 2nd row. The choice was pretty clear that if we don't get a minivan we'd have to get a Model X.

In additional, due to our jobs/business we are home everyday. We don't do long road trips so the range is not an issue ATM. It's just very convenient not needing to go get gas from Costco again. Our solar panel produce enough to cover our charging needs, so that seals the deal.

There are only 2 types of ICE I'd get nowadays - a minivan (an eventual path) and a 911 GT3 w/ manual gearbox.

Great post and I can totally relate. I went through a very similar process of thinking for the past 2 years. I was wrestling between literally a model 3 for day-to-day use and a $50, 000 (ish) truck (decently optioned) for longer family trips. Ultimately I kept the 3 seater 2001 Mazda truck that we already had and bought the model X for everything outside of moving/hauling or dirtier work.

I was not considering any other vehicle anywhere near the price of a model X. I've been working on a video to help explain how I came to the decision of going with the model X and the rational that got me there. I put alot of thought into it and also became obsessed as you mentioned. It was important for me that my wife was also on board and valued the same things about the vehicle that I did. Ultimately she was.

I've had it for just under a month and have put over 3000km on it. I have no regrets. It has completely changed the driving experience at a transition phase in my life. Unlike alot of other people, I plan to keep it for a long time (shooting for 20 years plus) to help with the depreciation and overall cost of the vehicle. The long term opportunity cost of the money spent on my X is the only thing that sometimes makes me cringe :) - that said I don't regret it and it's nothing that keeps me up at night or anything like that, it's just that the math doesn't lie if you catch my drift.

When I'm supercharging for free, chatting about Tesla and sustainable energy with people I never would have otherwise met, driving with my family, using autopilot, cleaning the vehicle, enjoying the regenerative breaking, appreciating the tech etc. I feel outstanding about our decision and really can't see a situation where I will buy another ICE vehicle in my lifetime (I'm 34).

I'm also in Canada and you really feel how crappy our dollar actually is when you buy something with a price tag like this :).

Last edited:
Reactions: vrykolas
Never ever bought a new car before. For some strange reason luxury cars depreciate very quickly over here, so you can have a two-year old Jaguar XJ or Lexus RX or Mercedes S at more or less half the price of a new one, so what's the point of buying new, I always thought...

Then I saw, sometime in 2011, a picture of the prototype of the Model S. Now, not only am I buying new, at 3x the price I used to spend on a car, but I'm also tempted to sell after two years to buy the latest and greatest :rolleyes: ! Luckily for me, AP2 is lagging behind, otherwise I would probably be tempted again before the year is over...

My last two cars were Honda Accords EX. I'm 71 and full-sized. I am excited by the prospect of owning an electric car. I'm very much into tech so Autopilot is very appealing. Spending roughly $70,000 Cdn is a big jump but my wife and I are ok with that decision.
Now things get dicier.
We test-drove a Model S and found it hard to get in and out. We are worried about a worse situation in the Model 3. Meanwhile, my wife sat in the Model X and absolutely loved it.
We have agreed that, if the Model 3 is too tight of a fit for me, we'll buy a 75D X. That $105,000 Cdn! It's not a Honda Accord anymore.
So now we wait for either Toronto or Montreal to have a Model 3 we can test drive while keeping an eye on the Ontario election next June when the substantial rebate could be abolished/reduced by the new government. If we can somehow try a 3 by the end of this year and decide to buy an X, we could use a referral code and get free, unlimited Supercharging.

I'm the other way around though. I'd only spend up to this much money on a Tesla (s or x). If I want to spend more, it'll be another brand. With that said, I believe electric is the future and my next car will be electric but most likely not another Tesla.

I was comparing model X, Cayenne GTS/turbo and Range Rover.

We used to drive a 2005 Toyota Sienna which we bought used in 2008 when we traded on our 1998 RAV4....not flashy, not fancy, but we weren't "fancy car" people. Also had a Prius and that was as fancy as it got. NEVER would have thought about spending more than maybe $40k on a new vehicle. But in 2015, the Sienna was in need of more service than it was worth. We had loved Tesla's from afar, but never seriously considered buying one. Then when we started looking at options for replacing the Sienna, we wanted something that had top notch safety and good mileage. Everything we were seeing was getting around $40k. Though I had never owned an electric car, I couldn't kick the feeling that spending THAT much money on a gas vehicle was a bad decision and a waste of money. We figured we wanted something new to be getting the latest in safety features, but it felt wrong to be buying something brand new rolling off the assembly line that was going to be guzzling gasoline for however long its service life is (10, 20 years?)....just didn't want to support that.

The thing that really swayed me though, was when I started watching crash test videos. I was on the fence about really opening the check book just to go electric (figured in 5 years there would be a lot more options at a lower price), but when I watched the crash videos and knew this was a car for my family, almost no price would've been too high. We bought an 85D and even though it was about 5x more than we'd generally look to spend on a vehicle, I really felt like it was worth it and had zero regrets.

We still don't feel like "fancy car" people, but we upgraded to a MX P100D this summer, so maybe I need to come to terms with what Tesla has made me! With that said, I'd never in my life consider a Porsche, Range Rover, Mercedes, or anything like that unless they were compelling electric vehicles with the equivalent safety of a Tesla.

So if you're looking for people out there who have dropped big money on a Tesla and would otherwise never spend that kind of money on an ICE vehicle, my hand is raised as high as possible!

• Love
Reactions: Cowby
My previous car was a 2002 golf estate, bought secondhand.
Previous to that were two other golfs, both secondhand, driven into the ground. I'm not really a car person, they are a way of getting around carrying kids, dogs, and bikes, all usually filthy. Never liked driving-there I've said it. Much prefer to be on my bike.

Was looking for a new 6 seater, but they are all diesels. Toyota was rude and ignorant when I went to a dealer asking about Prius plus. In the end
- if you are going to drop a lot of cash on a new car, it's a wasted investment going on the big OEMs. They'd still really rather Elon would focus on rockets.
- Elons master plan is working, I wanted to contribute to getting the first mass market ev to production.
- my work, which is in sustainable energy has given me a one time only opportunity financially
- I intend this to be the only new car I'll buy.

I'm a new model x owner. It's a crazy amount of money. It is like driving the future. Absolutely zero regrets.

I've been right there with the OP, but pulled the trigger on a Model X 100D early this month. A few things that factored in for me:

1. I simply cannot buy a pure ICE again. I've had a Volt and now a Cadillac ELR, and it pains me even when the ICE kicks on in them. But I really got to experienced electric driving, and it hooked me.

2. Tesla isn't just an aspirational brand for me, it's the way they have re-thought some of the things about car ownership. The ongoing software upgrades are just the kind of thing that geeks me out for them.

3. I have two young kids, and their eyes light up at the Falcon Wing Doors.

4. If I come across that 911 at a stop light, I feel comfortable knowing I can beat it off the line.

Reactions: CarosDreamCar
We spent double our planned budget when we bought our X.

It felt like a waste of money to buy anything else, even for half what we spent to buy the X.

The X isn't perfect but overall it is head and shoulders better than anything we cross shopped, and ICE cars in general.

There are still some ICE cars we would buy for specific uses but the list is short and getting shorter. I still feel that an S-class Benz is an amazing car, albeit one I would want to get out of before the warranty expired. A naturally aspirated 911 is still an amazing experience. You get the idea.

But for everyday use? I can't see owning anything but a Tesla. Warts (EAP is less than marketed, build quality is better but not the best, the company still has room to improve on many fronts) and all.

As a result we put in a reservation for a 3 to replace my daily driver and join the X we already have.

If not the 115k 100D for the fam, I would have bought a 55-70k ICE sedan (or an S) for myself. Maybe a Ghibli or that new jag. I now work from home, so 90% of my house's vehicle use is in the 100D, so it's not completely crazy to pay "double" when it's getting double-duty. Prior most I'd spend on a car was 35k in 2005. Clearly, I'm not a car guy so I don't get the appeal of the 911, BMWs, etc. I just go from A to B, but I do it safer, quieter, and without gasoline. Not regretting it, but yeah, it's expensive.

Haha I'm in the same boat. We spent $50k on our highlander hybrid 7 years ago and part of that was the whole technology of it etc. we have a Passat that is being bought back and that benefit would be nice chunk for a down payment on an X.

I want to scoop up and X , do rideshare , make money off of it. I'm kind of in paralysis by analysis mode after running all my numbers and scenarios.
I need a deal to get me off the pot , but also can wait.

We have three kids and are cross-shopping the MX with the top-of-the-line minivans. They cost around $50K, less than half the X. We need the extra space and are mostly drawn by the safety features and rating. We'd never spend more than $60K on a car otherwise

I want something that does not burn (much) dino juice, and which is fast, fun and comfy. After coming from fast, sporty cars when I was younger (that my wife hated), we bought a Prius 11 years ago, and now we have 2. I'd like the fun of some of my previous sporty cars combined with the eco-friendliness of the Prius, and I want something my wife can like.

Frankly, I've wanted a Tesla for years, but was unwilling to be ~90 miles from a service center, especially with a car like the MX that had some problems early on. Thankfully, our local showroom / SC just opened last weekend, and we're test driving an X and an S tomorrow. The other contender is the new Volvo XC60 plug-in; we like the 2018 XC60, but have not yet seen the plug-in hybrid version.

So many different variables to consider. Been thru what you describe. Current driver is a 1998 Ford Expedition. My wife and I are retired and have known for awhile now that we needed another car. Looked for ICE that had all the options and that I could fit in at 6'7".
Looking at spending 50,000 to 60,000 for vehicles we had researched. I had been watching Tesla for several years. I really like Elon and that way he runs the business. Test drove Model S and Model X, mostly out of curiosity. Could not imagine spending $100,000 or more for a car. Never have bought new even. Loved the Tesla's. Safety features, tech, drive etc. My wife was not convinced. Then on a trip to California, she was driving, a car towing a trailer pulled over just as we were passing. Almost pushed us into the railing at 75 mph. Everyone was ok but this helped change her mind. With the alerts on the Tesla, she would have had notice. We are both in our late 60's and reaction times are not getting any better. We agreed and went ahead and ordered the Model X, 5 seater. Haven't paid for it yet so we have had some discussions about doing the right thing. For the extra 45,000 to 50,000 that we are paying, we both feel it is well worth it. An additional help with the decision was Alliant Credit Union offer of .99 % financing for up to 5 years. I think this offer is good until the end of September. It was very easy to apply and notified of approval within 24 hours. I qualified and will finance $60,000 of the car, while keeping our investments earning at 8% (right now). We know there will be challenges, expenses etc. but look forward to the adventure. Good luck with your decision. We will have a well kept 1998 Ford Expedition with only 198,000 miles on it for sale next week....spread the word!

Reactions: Cowby
Totally understand the process you went through. My current car is a 3 year old Jaguar F-Type, which is a ton of fun, but was at least one-and-a-half-times the price of any other car I ever owned. But it was an ultra-low-mileage, ex-demo bargain, and I was in a position where I could afford to step up to that, despite thinking I'd never spend that much on a car...

But perhaps it was my 'gateway vehicle'... because now here I am waiting for a Model X 100D to complete its journey across the country on the slowest train ever...

It's almost twice the price of the Jag... and while it was fun to see what a similar amount of money would get me on maserati.com, I honestly couldn't see myself spending this sort of money on anything but a Tesla. Perhaps without having owned the Jag, the 3x price differential by itself would have been too much to swallow.... but for my wife and I, it hit all the important points: we're both geeks, and love the technology, and huge fans of what Elon and Tesla are trying to do to reinvent the car industry (and many others). The safety ratings are an important draw for us, and just the fun of ownership - even without ludicrous mode, it's an SUV that'll out-drag the F-Type - but I also tell myself that I can make some sort of economic argument: while the Jag going off warranty next year scares me, I expect to get at least 6-8 years ownership of high-value from the X, with low cost of ownership above and beyond the initial acquisition nightmares.

But really, I think it's important to acknowledge that in absolute terms, it's an expensive vehicle. A twenty year-old Chevy Lumina that needs a few hundred bucks spending on it here and there (our previous family car) is still always going to be a cheaper way to get from A to B, and there's a lot of people who'd be grateful to even be able to do that. But provided that you're in the fortunate position to be able to spend $100k or more on a car, Tesla has a lot to offer - and a lot of unique benefits to help you twist your own arm until you finally click the button, and start the wait.

Now, seriously, why does it take 3+ weeks for a train to go half way across the country??