Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many guys driving Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a marketing story to get women into a MX, women also like minivans, Bentleys, Range Rovers......
Women like....MONEY and the X is money.

Sure your not a single lady on the inside?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/single-women-driving-demand-suvs/

Small crossovers are quickly gaining favor among consumers, and according to new data, single women are playing a pivotal role in the success of these vehicles.

Mainstream small SUV sales to women rose 34 percent between 2010 and 2015, according to data from research company MaritzCX. Compare that to a 22-percent increase in small SUV sales to men during the same time period.

Meanwhile, sales of premium small SUVs grew a whopping 177 percent among women.

Single women in particular are driving growth in the segment and are buying more SUVs. Among all female car buyers, an estimated 40 percent are not married. "Increasing income and education as well as a general delay in marriage and child-bearing combine to create a growing number of single women buying cars," James Mulcrone, director of research services in MaritzCX's Michigan office, told Bloomberg.

Single or not, it's clear that women are making purchasing decisions for themselves and their families. More than two-thirds of female buyers who bought a vehicle in 2015 reported their purchase was "entirely up to me." In 2016, about a quarter of women vehicle buyers are projected to select a non-premium small SUV.

Last edited:
We have white model X, there are 5 or 6 in our immediate area and I do see mostly women driving it. I have a black model 3, and I feel pretty manly in it... except I have 2 car seats in the back, and am currently playing Daniel Tiger on repeat, so that kills it.

X is definitely more luxurious but 3 is a really fun car to drive--I thought X was fun but 3 is even more fun... so would recommend checking it out. I've never driven an S before so not sure whether it leans more on the luxury side or fun to drive side.

Just get the offroad package, like I'm planning to do
Tesla-Model-X-off-road-editon-Delta-4x4-1024x572.jpg

damn imo those are some manly vehicles indeed, especially that black onetempting for me to get one but I'd just hate to have someone wreck it and have to wait months for parts and repairs, not to mention just have two EV, alternating between the two
AHHHH #firstworldproblems

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
There's prob 15 to 20 Xs in my neighborhood, dont think ive seen any other than me driven by anyone other than a middle aged mom. Pretty much all the S's are driven by men.

I honestly much prefer the S to the X but my wife wanted an SUV for the kids. It just serves well as a soccer mom vehicle which is what everyone uses it for here in OC suburbia. In fact i just picked the kids up from school in the X and got home now.

• Funny
There's prob 15 to 20 Xs in my neighborhood, dont think ive seen any other than me driven by anyone other than a middle aged mom. Pretty much all the S's are driven by men.

I honestly much prefer the S to the X but my wife wanted an SUV for the kids. It just serves well as a soccer mom vehicle which is what everyone uses it for here in OC suburbia. In fact i just picked the kids up from school in the X and got home now.

Why are we gender profiling drivers to Tesla’s 3s, Ss and Xs. We should be buying and driving the Tesla that meets OUR needs. Before I owned a MX, I use to love the looks of Tesla’s and was impressed that it was electric, I could have cared less who was driving it. I’m a 71 year old male, and I have a 7 passenger MX so I can haul 5 grandyoungones at a time!

I know this is a strange question. My Model S lease is up next year and I'm thinking of the Model X just because it's bigger and seems a little more luxurious if that makes sense. However, Tesla seems to have marketed the X toward women and I don't see many men in my area driving the X. I, of course, want to look masculine in my new car. :) So, are there any guys out there driving the X and do you still feel manly? :)
I'm 6'6" and buying a second Tesla for myself just because S feels a bit tight for me. It's going to be an X. S is fine but getting in and out of the vehicle isn't the biggest fun. And if anyone asks you why you just say "look at this bicep baby, I lift that's why" :D I do that. It works.

• Funny
Reactions: Corbets and P85_DA
I don’t even know how to respond, other than to say that if you’re concerned about public image when driving around in a $100k SUV, whether you look like a soccer mom is near the bottom of the list.

Speaking of soccer moms, i have an X, but I would drive a Honda Odyssey any day of the week.

My recommendation, worry less about others, and be grateful that you have the excess capacity to afford a car like this. For me, whether I could do more good for society with the extra cash was my only concern, then I decided that I give back in other ways, so treat myself.

X is pretty far down the list of actual chick cars if it were even included.

Miatas
Bugs
Mini coppers
Civic del sols
Malibus
Yaris
Explorers

Not sure why masculinity is so underrated around here.

It’s not entirely from the car you drive but the attitudes, roles, expectations, basic survival common sense around masculinity is important.

If I had to pick between my daughters date showing up in a Miata packing a march for for our lives shirt or a Mazda 3 packing .45ACP I would have more confidence in the latter as an acceptable companion.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
If I had to pick between my daughters date showing up in a Miata packing a march for for our lives shirt or a Mazda 3 packing .45ACP I would have more confidence in the latter as an acceptable companion.

I could show up in a smart car and be plenty masculine enough, particularly if I’m wearing a tight shirt. ;) But a little heat in the holster - as the father of said daughter, not the date - sends the right message for that first date, I agree.

Humor (err, mostly) aside, relative masculinity of a car is mostly an internal thing predicated on one’s personal (in)security. So don’t worry about it. Hit the gym if you need some reassurance, not the car lot!

I could show up in a smart car and be plenty masculine enough, particularly if I’m wearing a tight shirt. ;) But a little heat in the holster - as the father of said daughter, not the date - sends the right message for that first date, I agree.

Humor (err, mostly) aside, relative masculinity of a car is mostly an internal thing predicated on one’s personal (in)security. So don’t worry about it. Hit the gym if you need some reassurance, not the car lot!

If you got your *sugar* together, drive something less nasty than a smart car. There's other EV options to impress a dad FFS, we both know it. ;)

Masculinity is ultimately about being a protector no matter what you drive.

Reactions: Corbets and P85_DA