Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles did you get on your tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about due to replace my tires and i'm not even at 5000 miles yet....

But these are RE-71R tires that have been to the track 5+ times ;)
How do you feel about the difference between RE71R and the stock PS4S? Both of them have pretty good reputation. I also heard that Cup2 has very close durability to RE71R with better grip. Is that true?

How do you feel about the difference between RE71R and the stock PS4S?

IMO it's only worth it for track or autocross use and i don't really recommend the RE71R as a daily driver (what i've been doing for ~4 months) as it's pretty loud and you don't need that much tire, the PS4S is plenty good for street use. If you really wanted something more aggressive than PS4S, i'd suggest trying the new Bridgestone S007A - it seems to be a middle ground between RE71R and PS4S, but its super new so not a lot of reviews yet.

Cup 2 is going to be better than RE71R, which is better than PS4S. They're all in different categories really (streetable track, extreme summer, max summer - respectively). Cup 2's are pretty expensive though, probably would use those as a track only tire.

Cup 2 is going to be better than RE71R, which is better than PS4S. They're all in different categories really (streetable track, extreme summer, max summer - respectively). Cup 2's are pretty expensive though, probably would use those as a track only tire.
Cup 2 isn't popular with Autocross, where it seems that only 3rd car is NOT running on RE71R, because AX is populated by a bunch of cheap bastard lowlifes that eat tires left and right no matter the make, and RE71Rs prices are quite a bit cheaper?

Or is there something beyond that that makes the RE71R better suited for high speed parking lot antics as opposed to circuits and streets?

<edit> Oh wait, do Cup 2s fall below the magic 200tw line? So anyone in AX in a class that could run Cup 2s just runs that A7 race-crack instead?

Last edited:
Or is there something beyond that that makes the RE71R better suited for high speed parking lot antics as opposed to circuits and streets?

RE71R heat up very quickly and give maximum grip right away, that's why they're great for AX. They also have a 200 treadwear number, but it's definitely a lie because they wear very quickly. The Cup 2 is more of a track day tire and won't heat up nearly as quickly, but that means it won't overheat/get greasy as easily as the RE71R on track - and yes its 180 tw

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
Has anyone had to replace their tires on their model 3 yet?
How many miles did you get on the first set and which version of the 3 do you have?
AWD. I'm getting down to 2mm across all corners now, so will need to very soon. 13,000+ miles but also two Autocross days (ill advised, until I got alternate set), seems one TMPS might have been off or I missed the issue because had one tire get some over-inflation wear (now checking with a gauge directly), and front right toe was way out (from factory or too easily slipped out of line, don't think it took any serious bumps) leading to feathering on the inside. Toe now corrected but that spread some extra wear across three tires as I rotated, although most was on one of them.

Looks like it can vary quite a lot for different folks. This post should go hand in hand with what lifetime efficiency wh/mi people are getting :)
Guilty as charged.

I have no doubt my driving style is detrimental to the MXM4's tread life, along with the mis-alignment and tire pressure issues being big factors. The Model 3 isn't like the Model X, which I'm lead to believe eats tires even if you drive it relatively gently.