Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are renting your Model S on Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've known about Turo for a while. Never used their service.

I just wanted to know how many of you are renting your Model S on Turo and if yes:

1) How's your experience.
2) How much does Turo charge as their fee plus insurance.

Just asking these questions for brainstorming/curiosity reasons.
Personally I am reluctant to rent my less than a yr old 100k car ATM but maybe in the future.

Thank you

I was a first time Turo renter last month in the SF Bay Area of a 2015 85D. I noticed a dozen or so deep scratches on the driver’s seat where your butt would sit/slide in. Owner said last renter caused them. Must have been wearing something metal on the back side of his pants. The owners had bought it from Tesla Used as a secondary vehicle and put it on Turo to help defray the cost/monthly payments.

In short *I* wouldn’t put a new car or one I cared about on Turo. Would you loan it to your friend’s degenerate child after that kid crashed their own car?

In short, if you love your car I wouldn’t put it on Turo. If it’s an older car or already beat up then maybe. If it comes back with scratches or a new rock chip in the glass you need to able to just shrug your shoulders.

BTW, I rented the ‘15 85D because I’ve been wanting a Tesla for years. I placed an order for a ‘14 P85D 2 weeks ago based on my enjoyment of the Turo rental (Turo owner wasn’t open to selling his).

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I had mine on Turo for quite a while, but I noticed the quality of the renter steadily declining, as well as Turo's support and service to the owners also steadily declining. The final straws for me (after nearly 50 rentals and all 5-star reviews) were the following:

I had a renter go completely AWOL on me and Turo's attitude was "you're on your own, buddy". I ended up having to repossess the car after it was 8 hours late for return, a trip downtown, and the renter playing totally dumb with me (I didn't know I had to return it!). Then had to endure constant harrassment afterwards by the renter because I charged him the maximum late fees... and even had Turo call me to ask me if I would refund those.

I then soon thereafter had a renter book with 1 hour notice on a Saturday night. Her pic looked like she was a hooker, and had no prior rentals or anything. She asked if I would deliver it 2 hours away (with 1 hour notice) and asked if I could pick it up in the morning. This is all after renting it and not taking the options. Then she tried to hold me hostage by telling me if I didn't do that she would give me a 1 star review. I ended up cancelling the reservation before it even started... to which Turo penalized me.

EDIT: Forgot this one... Had a renter meet me at the pickup spot with literally 1 mile on the dial. After repeated requests from me to him to charge it before returning. It ended up having to be towed to a Supercharger (which Turo did cover), but the waste of 3 hours of my time was not compensated for. This was all on a Thursday night at 10:00pm (didn't get home until 1am).

Had a renter rent it for the night, then drive it around and flat out did not charge it. Called me at 6am on a Sunday morning after having it towed to a Supercharger... but the car was totally dead. I called Tesla support and evidently once you run the car down below 0, the 12v battery also dies. Had to jump the Tesla to get it to start Supercharging. What a $hit show.

Last straw was shortly after that I had a lady that flat said in the rental she was renting it for her son's prom - and that he would be driving. I explained that you need to be 30 years old to rent and drive the car, and then she started complaining to me. I called Turo and explained the situation to them (and it was all documented in the chat that they could see), and they said that my only option was to cancel the reservation... with penalty to me. I did exactly that...

And delisted my car.

Turo is poorly run and ripe for fraud. No way I would ever relist my car until they start tightening their vetting process like they did so early on. Read the Turo owner stories on Facebook and there are constant claims of vehicle theft, severe damage that Turo will not cover, as well as poor Turo support.

And to validate my opinion on Turo, read through my history on Turo on this very board, and you'll see I used to be a huge fan of Turo.

There are some renters, who have done a lot of research, and are only renting prior to a purchase. Not that they are not ready to buy, but that they need to get buy in from the "Boss" or other family members.

This was the case for me when I rented an MS and M3 on Turo. Returned both cleaner than I rec'd them, never abused them.

Boss says I am strange, "but I'm not the only one"

There are some renters, who have done a lot of research, and are only renting prior to a purchase. Not that they are not ready to buy, but that they need to get buy in from the "Boss" or other family members.

This was the case for me when I rented an MS and M3 on Turo. Returned both cleaner than I rec'd them, never abused them.

Yeah, in the beginning I had a lot of people like that. All very nice people and I enjoyed renting to them. But... then the tide turned....

I had mine on Turo for quite a while, but I noticed the quality of the renter steadily declining, as well as Turo's support and service to the owners also steadily declining. The final straws for me (after nearly 50 rentals and all 5-star reviews) were the following:
And delisted my car.

How long were you active in the system? How long has it been since you delisted?

I was active for around a year and a half. Mid-2017 through about early-2019. I delisted around April of this year. All of the trouble renters started around winter 2018. Prior to that everybody was great.

i had a P85 on turo around this time frame as well, its because they lowered the age limit on high end cars to 21+ with a deposit instead of limiting them strictly to 30+ renters.

to OP, if you decide to go with turo, dont be surprised to keep your car in mint condition because renters(even the nicer ones wont care) you will have minor scratches/dings all around the car, wheels curbed, minor interior damage.

tldr, i would never have my personal car on turo, this was a 2nd tesla used for turo only and the platform is pretty much *sugar* now with all the new policy changes, they are very pro renter platform which doesnt help you as a host.

You can get their premium insurance option, which covers everything without deductible, even wear and tear, but they charge a lot.

You can, and they say they do, but if you read through the Facebook Turo groups, you'd be surprised how many times they deny claims on that.

I also had a claim (the renter was actually a good renter... tried to wash the car and ended up damaging it) and the claims process was tough. It took about 3 months from start to finish. Some of it was because of Tesla, and some was because of Turo.

You can, and they say they do, but if you read through the Facebook Turo groups, you'd be surprised how many times they deny claims on that.

I also had a claim (the renter was actually a good renter... tried to wash the car and ended up damaging it) and the claims process was tough. It took about 3 months from start to finish. Some of it was because of Tesla, and some was because of Turo.

That's good to know. I recently had a good experience with a claim. Took a week or two to get paid for a scratch

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn

Me, too. I rented three four different Teslas on Turo - one of them two times - and always returned them cleaner than when I found them. If we travel out of town and need a rental, a Tesla on Turo is the only way.

I really hope Turo improves their vetting process, as the bad apples spoil it for those of us who love driving these vehicles.

Also, I always opt-out of Turo’s insurance coverage, as my insurance is better.

Me, too. I rented three four different Teslas on Turo - one of them two times - and always returned them cleaner than when I found them. If we travel out of town and need a rental, a Tesla on Turo is the only way.

I really hope Turo improves their vetting process, as the bad apples spoil it for those of us who love driving these vehicles.

Also, I always opt-out of Turo’s insurance coverage, as my insurance is better.

What insurance do you have that covers turo rentals?

Recently I was trying to help a Tesla owner whose S was totaled by a Turo renter. The Turo insurance product was not great and he was fighting a lowball total loss value. He ended up having to go to arbitration.

I can't imagine giving something so valuable to anyone just because they can pay a fee to rent it. They aren't like regular cars, people will drive them like jerks, the odds of getting a bad renter seems pretty high. Then again I also wouldn't rent out my house, or anything I really care about. I'm sorry for all of your bad rental experiences.

Reactions: ahkahn