Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are upgrading their refreshed 70kwh to a 75kwh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this range anxiety is a pretty crazy sales pitch.. maybe it is just me, but I don't recall when is the last time I drove 300km in a day.. maybe a handful a year.. but even then that's what super charger is for.

to get an extra 20km of range out of the 70d. . just slow down by 10km/hr..

Reactions: Reeler
But there are no extra cells, the extra capacity comes from a new chemical formulation. If what people are reporting Tesla is telling them is accurate that means that Tesla is limiting it to where you can only charge the pack to 93%. I will be interested to know if they did it like the did with the 40 in that you couldn't set the charge % any higher then 69% making it very obvious that there was more that you couldn't use, or if they adjust the scale so that when the pack is at 93% it is reported as 100%. (Until/if you upgrade your car to release the extra 5kWh.)

If either of these are true, there is a real benefit to having the 75kHh battery even if you pay only for the 70 kWh. It will be impossible to charge to the real 100% capacity of the battery. As a result, there should be less degradation of the battery over time.

Yeah!!

this range anxiety is a pretty crazy sales pitch.. maybe it is just me, but I don't recall when is the last time I drove 300km in a day.. maybe a handful a year.. but even then that's what super charger is for.

to get an extra 20km of range out of the 70d. . just slow down by 10km/hr..

I actually calculated it, I travel that distance .02% of the time, basically 7 days out of 365.

I actually calculated it, I travel that distance .02% of the time, basically 7 days out of 365.

I have a 112 mile round-trip daily commute, not counting any errands I run after work, going out to dinner somewhere, or going on a random adventure (I do that quite a bit these days). The 70D, charged to 80% or 90% (usually 90%), has been fine for me so far and I always have plenty of safety buffer.

Given, I *just* got it last Friday, but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it, including going up and down mountain roads, driving in the rain/wind, and my daily commute - all exceeding the rated range by quite a bit thanks to TACC and autopilot. I also have the benefit of charging for free at work (though only at 120v) and there is a free town charger just a few minutes from my house that handles 72 amps. I really only hook it up in my garage because it's good for the car to be plugged in.

I'm going on a road trip across the country in two weeks. If it handles the trip well, I see no reason to ever get anything higher than a 70D except maybe 5 years from now when and if I have significant battery degradation - at which point I may pay for the 5kwh upgrade. Right now, it would be absolutely pointless.

Reactions: chillaban
I wouldn't take advantage of this and here is why. After a couple years and 50k miles, you'll have lost all that range from standard range loss. I'd rather keep it at 70kw and know that for most of the life of the vehicle, I'm getting what I paid for. Very few trips are decided on less than 20 miles of range.

I guess in light of today's announcement, a better question is how many people would have bought a 60 instead? The range increase from a 60 to 70 is only a 22 miles more and the price per mile is even higher. Many of us offered the logic that the extra 19 miles was irrelevant for everyday driving - is that also true for 41 miles? In hindsight, at least we were totally right that the 5KW upgrade plan didn't make sense.

At this moment I'm just happy my 70D is on the way.

I guess in light of today's announcement, a better question is how many people would have bought a 60 instead? The range increase from a 60 to 70 is only a 22 miles more and the price per mile is even higher. Many of us offered the logic that the extra 19 miles was irrelevant for everyday driving - is that also true for 41 miles? In hindsight, at least we were totally right that the 5KW upgrade plan didn't make sense.

At this moment I'm just happy my 70D is on the way.

I'm actually kind of happy because the 70D is now gone. I am now forced to choose between 60 and 75, it seems, and 70 was the sweet spot for me.

But the 60 would also be tempting for someone like me, because yeah, my commute is 20 miles round trip and 25 rated miles the two times I tried it in a MS. Even a 60 is more than enough for everything except weekend trips.

I'm actually kind of happy because the 70D is now gone. I am now forced to choose between 60 and 75, it seems, and 70 was the sweet spot for me.

But the 60 would also be tempting for someone like me, because yeah, my commute is 20 miles round trip and 25 rated miles the two times I tried it in a MS. Even a 60 is more than enough for everything except weekend trips.

60 is looking real good for you. The only other "loss" is that the top speed is 10mph lower, but that is even more irrelevant than the range difference.

60 is looking real good for you. The only other "loss" is that the top speed is 10mph lower, but that is even more irrelevant than the range difference.

I agree. If I had been on the fence about the 70D, then the 60D would've pushed me over. I've been shopping Tesla for a long time but never was able to pull the trigger, and quite honestly, the biggest reason was that breaking the 80 grand barrier meant I had to cross-shop German flagship luxury sedans, and the last 2 times, the Germans won…

This time though, going EV was of higher importance than before :)

Has anyone successfully upgraded to the 75? I picked up my car in Fremont on June 3rd. I ordered the 75 and received the 70.... they said the update would be over the air and the badge will come later. i was not given any date regarding the upgrade from 75 from 70. I can actually use this since daily I travel about 200 miles. That little bit of a buffer will give me peace of mind for sure.

I have no idea what I'd do in the position.

As a 70D owner (non-upgradable) most of the time I'm put in a position of needing a few extra miles because I didn't have the patience to wait when the charge slows down. Assuming the 70 is limited at the top end means that charging beyond around 90% is faster. So you're already gaining some miles in the all important miles/time equation.

They're giving you for free a big part of the benefits of having a bigger battery. It's not so much that its bigger, but the miles/hour that it charges at can be a lot faster to get to X number of miles where X is well within range of both.

I do. But the update has not come out. So technically there are no 75s yet. Unless I'm wrong.

If you had your car (without the software unlock) you'd have everything necessary to do the test.

Edit: Sorry, reading comprehension fault on my part. You do have the car, and it's perfect for the test without the unlock to the 75. In fact you can do a before and after test.

Last edited:
The test I'm curious about is the rate of charge change as a supercharger chargers your car from 80% to 100%.

To see if it quickly tapers off or if it continues at a pretty good clip.

In previous tests owners have done time lapse of the charging screen with their phone throughout the entire charge, and then played it back.

My bet is if we did a direct comparison that your charge rate at 99% will be higher than my charge rate at 99% despite the fact that both of have a 70. Because you actually have a 75 even though the extra capacity isn't unlocked.