Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are upgrading their refreshed 70kwh to a 75kwh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually thought that the margin for all EVs was at the bottom, as it is the anti-bricking margin.

EVs like to have their charge between 20% and 80%. In my 6th year of pure EV driving and often owning two or more EVs with my family driving them too, we have run out of juice exactly once. Long story, but it was zero degrees, big snow, and driving over the continental divide and my RAV4 died in the Eisenhower Tunnel!!!!

As most batteries have no option for a partial charge, the big offender in normal situations is overcharging so I believe the margin is designed accordingly. The Prius battery, Volt battery, new Leaf battery all have margin which folks believe is used more at the top to preserve long life. Chevy has said as much to use that margin to keep range the same over the lifetime. Prius tries to run the battery at 50-60% as do most commercial applications.

This fabrication about putting margin at the bottom for some kind of "call for capacity scheme" is just nonsense. No engineer would put the margin at the bottom as the daily risk is overcharging.

I will take my 70KW version and charge it to 90% on a daily basis, which is about 80% presuming the margin is at the top. Those who want to talk nonsense and have an extra $3K, enjoy your ever decreasing 19 miles you will never or almost never need. Those with extreme range anxiety should pay this extra amount or even get the 90KW version (as did my wife with her Model X).

I am enjoying my 3rd and 4th Nissan Leafs at the moment with no range anxiety. For snow season, I will use my Model S to avoid running out of juice in the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and ICE FREE
The 75KW rumors started just as I was placing my order. I decided not to upgrade because I didn't think 19 miles was worth the money. Once I thought about it, my daily commute is about 65 miles so even in the dead of winter here in MI I should have plenty of battery available for my daily needs. I probably would have upgraded it if it managed increase performance a bit (in particular, 0-60 time under 5 seconds).

Instead, I decided to use that money to get the upgraded sound system I had been on the fence about.

Reactions: Tellotes
if you are 40 years old, and take that $3,000 and put it in a low-cost index fund (assuming 8% growth), it will turn into about $20,500 by the time you reach 65.

or you could have 19 more rated miles. which dwindles to even less over time.
Alternatively, you could take the entire $75,000 and turn it into $550,000 in the same 25 year time frame.

Living in Colorado with frequent trips to Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming and off the Supercharger path, I would go for the additional miles. That's why I ordered a 90 kWh battery with delayed delivery, in hopes that the 100 kWh option is announced soon.

Not at this point, and I'm hoping very few people do. Since the batteries and capacity are already in the car, I am also hoping that after all the S70s with the larger battery are delivered, Tesla reduces the price of conversion to something more reasonable in order to get what it can for the product already provided. Something is better than nothing, and Tesla would incur no additional cost.

Reactions: bobjustbob
I took delivery of my refreshed 70 yesterday. I spoke with two different Tesla employees, my DS and then another employee who gave me the walkthrough for the car. Both of them referenced the benefit of having the 75 kw battery with the software lock, and said I would be able to charge it higher on a regular basis without degrading the battery due to the locked capacity. I am not 100 % sure this is an official stance from Tesla, but I do think if that was not the case that they likely would have been instructed not to mention it.

I took delivery of my refreshed 70 yesterday. I spoke with two different Tesla employees, my DS and then another employee who gave me the walkthrough for the car. Both of them referenced the benefit of having the 75 kw battery with the software lock, and said I would be able to charge it higher on a regular basis without degrading the battery due to the locked capacity. I am not 100 % sure this is an official stance from Tesla, but I do think if that was not the case that they likely would have been instructed not to mention it.

Margin on top.

Margin on top!
Tesla has officially advised, in the past, that the best SOC for long term storage is 50%. That makes sense chemically. If so, then that means each individual cell is 1/2 charged. So, I'd guess that since these extra 5 kWh of batteries are in effect being "stored", they are kept by the BMS at 50% charged, which to me means 2.5kWh at the top and 2.5 kWh at the bottom.

Tesla has officially advised, in the past, that the best SOC for long term storage is 50%. That makes sense chemically. If so, then that means each individual cell is 1/2 charged. So, I'd guess that since these extra 5 kWh of batteries are in effect being "stored", they are kept by the BMS at 50% charged, which to me means 2.5kWh at the top and 2.5 kWh at the bottom.

But there are no extra cells, the extra capacity comes from a new chemical formulation. If what people are reporting Tesla is telling them is accurate that means that Tesla is limiting it to where you can only charge the pack to 93%. I will be interested to know if they did it like the did with the 40 in that you couldn't set the charge % any higher then 69% making it very obvious that there was more that you couldn't use, or if they adjust the scale so that when the pack is at 93% it is reported as 100%. (Until/if you upgrade your car to release the extra 5kWh.)

I was wondering about this, can charge to 100% without worrying about battery degration issues.