Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if FSD is soooooooo great... why is it *not* regulatorily approved as true "hands-free" let alone approved as L3 ? seriously ...
Blue Cruise and Super Cruise are at least approved as true hands-free and both are/will be available in the EV truck offerings for Ford/GM

and Autopilot without FSD is merely lane-keep assist with adaptive cruise control. hardly novel for most manufacturers but Tesla deleted the radar so my AP / TACC is now very prone to phantom braking on hot days with mirages over the road...

This is where I am having a hard time understanding how a Lightning Platinum wasn’t “enough” but you’d still consider a CT despite the specs falling flat. If it’s brand loyalty then I get it, you want the looks I get it, but to say that there are not trucks out there just isn’t true.

Tesla won’t be the first and to be honest has already fallen behind.
I listed them; Charging Speed, Software, Charging Network (could change when Tesla opens them up), ADAS, and Range.

The Lightning doesn't meet any of those to my liking. I know for sure the CT will at least hit the charging speed, software, network, and ADAS...we'll see about range, which is really important to me.

3 out of the last 4 cars I've owned were F150s and outside of the Diesel, which was a terrible truck and Ford killed it quick, were very good trucks, but the things I've listed are now important to me after owning a Tesla and enjoying the experience.

Let's say GM releases their EV truck and puts a really great ADAS system (FSD-like not just freeway assist like Blue Cruise or Super Cruise), Tesla's SC network opens up, GM's new software (they are going all in-house like Tesla) is fantastic, and the range is good...then I'd get that, but there's nothing currently available that meets my needs.

if FSD is soooooooo great... why is it *not* regulatorily approved as true "hands-free" let alone approved as L3 ? seriously ...
Blue Cruise and Super Cruise are at least approved as true hands-free and both are/will be available in the EV truck offerings for Ford/GM

and Autopilot without FSD is merely lane-keep assist with adaptive cruise control. hardly novel for most manufacturers but Tesla deleted the radar so my AP / TACC is now very prone to phantom braking on hot days with mirages over the road...
Not sure if you are serious or not, but Tesla had hands free for a while...people abused it and Tesla still hasn't put dedicated cameras to prevent this abuse, but since Tesla is attempting a completely different thing in FSD than Blue Cruise or Super Cruise with city streets driving, they aren't going to remove wheel nag on City Streets or tense traffic situations anytime soon, regardless of what Elon has said.

V11 of FSD Beta doesn't really nag on the interstate...I went over 10 min today without any warning. Also phantom braking is pretty rare, but does happen. I feel that the rarity of it makes it scarier. It used to occur all the time and I half expected it, but since 10.69, I've had maybe 2 instances of it. My wife had never experienced it in her car until last week, but she does get the 1-3 mph slow downs.

edit: Also, Tesla can turn off wheel nag whenever they want(they won't). They weren't required by regulators to add that, but they were being investigated and potentially sued or shutdown on public roads for incidents. The wheel nag was self imposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16 and JohnB007
I listed them; Charging Speed, Software, Charging Network (could change when Tesla opens them up), ADAS, and Range.

The Lightning doesn't meet any of those to my liking. I know for sure the CT will at least hit the charging speed, software, network, and ADAS...we'll see about range, which is really important to me.

3 out of the last 4 cars I've owned were F150s and outside of the Diesel, which was a terrible truck and Ford killed it quick, were very good trucks, but the things I've listed are now important to me after owning a Tesla and enjoying the experience.

Let's say GM releases their EV truck and puts a really great ADAS system (FSD-like not just freeway assist like Blue Cruise or Super Cruise), Tesla's SC network opens up, GM's new software (they are going all in-house like Tesla) is fantastic, and the range is good...then I'd get that, but there's nothing currently available that meets my needs.

I understand, it seems we both have had different experiences because compared to my Model 3, my Lightning is superior to it in every aspect, except handling which I can understand. But even then the comfort level of the Lightning is unmatched by my previous Tesla.

Software wise, I didn’t use PAAK in the Tesla and don’t use it in the Lightning.

I wish you luck, and hopefully you find everything you need in the CT.

I understand, it seems we both have had different experiences because compared to my Model 3, my Lightning is superior to it in every aspect, except handling which I can understand. But even then the comfort level of the Lightning is unmatched by my previous Tesla.

Software wise, I didn’t use PAAK in the Tesla and don’t use it in the Lightning.

I won't. I know this, but that's why I'm waiting.

Tesla is likely not hands free with HW3 because they don't have the processor budget to use for running the processes that would evaluate driver attention.
yeah... I much rather be monitored by a camera and allowed to do hands-free than being forced to touch wheel and/or put noticeable pressure on it every so often or get nagged by the system....

Reactions: FLRifleman
Tesla is likely not hands free with HW3 because they don't have the processor budget to use for running the processes that would evaluate driver attention.
Are you sure the HW3 doesn't have enough processor to handle this?

I was watching very carefully during my drive yesterday, and there's clear evidence that if you focus on the road ahead more, nag becomes less. It didn't used to do this before. If I look at my phone, or even my watch, it doesn't give me much time.

May be Tesla is actually working on this area, so that ultimately, they can offer hands free under some circumstances (like freeway when you are paying attention)? To me, it is clearly improving on HW3.

Are you sure the HW3 doesn't have enough processor to handle this?

I was watching very carefully during my drive yesterday, and there's clear evidence that if you focus on the road ahead more, nag becomes less. It didn't used to do this before. If I look at my phone, or even my watch, it doesn't give me much time.

May be Tesla is actually working on this area, so that ultimately, they can offer hands free under some circumstances (like freeway when you are paying attention)? To me, it is clearly improving on HW3.

No, I'm not sure.
But its likely that driver monitoring software is done. There's been an in car camera for a long time. It's also certain that more processor is needed for FSD or there would not be HW4

No, I'm not sure.
But its likely that driver monitoring software is done. There's been an in car camera for a long time. It's also certain that more processor is needed for FSD or there would not be HW4
I don't believe HW3 can complete FSD either. But I do believe there's plenty of room to improve, even on HW3, as witnessed during the last few major updates.

Camera monitoring has improved quite a bit recently as well. I think it too will improve further before hitting the ceiling.

I have an R1T right now and will look at the CT when my preorder converts to an order. I also have a Hummer preorder but the rate they are going Tesla has an opportunity to pass those up. I had an F150 Lightning and sold it to a friend when my Rivian arrived. For me the Rivian is much better for what I do. It's a bit smaller but it's more off road capable and IMHO has a better interior than my lariat did. The F150 was great and comfortable to drive (took it back and forth from NJ to FL) and I'd say the only issue is it charges a bit slow. The trip was fine but faster charging obviously would've been better. I'll be making the same trek in the Rivian in a few months and hope to see a bit of a difference.

So I have room for one more and we will see if it will be the Hummer (don't need anything practical) or the Cybertruck. Leaning towards the latter due to efficiency and charging networks.

Superior charging network?

That is a huge reason I am staying Tesla. I would love an EV truck today but just can't justify buying anything with an inferior charging network.

Superior charging network?

That is a huge reason I am staying Tesla. I would love an EV truck today but just can't justify buying anything with an inferior charging network.

The same network that will eventually support CCS nationwide?

I couldn’t imagine owning an EV if I had to rely on charging away from home on a daily basis…..

Tesla network is more dense and reliable than their CCS counterparts but the impression that you cannot roadtrip is false. I've done long, long road trips in our Taycan 4s (a really fast charger), F150 Lightning (twice NJ to FL and back) not as a fast a charger and will take my RIvian, which actually has a pretty good charging curve. My next trip will Tallahassee to NJ in our Model Y P this coming Sunday (which in a pinch is CCS compatible).

I will probably stick with the Cyber truck as a pickup, the charge issue is nothing like what it was. I've been driving Tesla for over 6 years, there weren't a lot of superchargers then! But still, we traveled all over the US with it. The CCS network will grow, maybe not as fast as the tesla, that it will grow. Lot of dollars behind it!

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Are you driving over 200 miles a day, every day? That would be rather unusual.

Exactly my point….

The SC advantage is becoming mute at this point. You CAN road trip in any EV, it’s a matter of you being patient and planning, right? At least that’s what I heard when I was an early Model 3 adopter…. Or has the goal post moved to “faster”…..

Between EA, EVGO, CP and soon Tesla, there is no more advantage except Disney +

Exactly my point….

The SC advantage is becoming mute at this point. You CAN road trip in any EV, it’s a matter of you being patient and planning, right? At least that’s what I heard when I was an early Model 3 adopter…. Or has the goal post moved to “faster”…..

Between EA, EVGO, CP and soon Tesla, there is no more advantage except Disney +
I have to take exception to your favorable view of the non-Tesla charging networks, at least for NA. We do 5 to 6 medium to long range road trips each year in our MY, that cover both the US and Canada. We have the CCS adapter and from time to time I've stopped to use one of those non-Tesla level 3 charging sites. The chargers are invariably either broken, do not work properly or reject credit and charger-specific cards. It's difficult to discern whether those chargers are abused or they are poorly maintained. I would hesitate to recommend a US BEV with CCS for long road trips.

Reactions: cusetownusa