Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is still a compelling vehicle for law enforcement and folks that might be shot at.
Not if you will be shot at through the glass. The glass was strategically rolled down into, and shielded behind door panels in Tesla marketing videos.
Thus, the weak-sauce baseball impact demo by Franz, to avoid repeat of glass shattering fiasco from 4 years ago.

The " bullet proof" exterior as shown in the latest Tesla vid will appeal to drug traffickers and survivalists, I'm sure one day I'll see a high speed chase here in LA.
As Tesla fan-boys will soon tell us, Musk never promised bulletproof Cybertruck. Just that some body panels might be bulletproof.
;)
If you aim at just the right part of the truck, the handgun slugs might not penetrate the steel body panels.
No specific penetration protection promises were made, but somewhere between armor levels I-IIIa sounds about right.
If you aim anywhere outer than the steel panels (windows, roof pillars, drivetrain, tires, battery tray, etc.), then all bets are off.

So, yeah, really dumb survivalists and drug traffickers might bite.
They will be fully "protected" from airborne baseballs.

Anyone drove in hail?

Yep, many times.
No big deal.

Not if you will be shot at through the glass.
If you aim anywhere outer than the steel panels (windows, roof pillars, drivetrain, tires, battery tray, etc.), then all bets are off.

So, yeah, really dumb survivalists and drug traffickers might bite.

As we has seen in 40 years of TV and movies, you don't rely on glass to protect you obviously.

Bullet resistant steel panels are a huge improvement for LEO.

If only 5% keep their orders, that's quite a few vehicles, will keep Tesla busy for a year. Of course, if they loose money on each one, that won't be good.

If so, hoping the Highland and battery storage will make up for the lost profits on CT.

Until details convince me otherwise, the Range Extender is a great idea IMO. For those who say there's no way that the RE will be removable, I submit the garage-stacking system that my BIL has. Here's an example:

https:// youtu.be/G9Gq-mKg0oA

If one can buy a system to stack cars in a residential garage, I'm sure that Tesla can figure out a system to mount and dismount the RE from the CT bed. Besides, both AWD CTs have more than enough range for daily use without the RE. The RE is designed for occasional towing. I can see also a tradesman towing a small utility trailer and using the RE full time with the bed closed with the optional cover.

As to complaints about a removable pack being a safety hazard, I also disagree. The pack will likely have all its "guts" self-contained, including cooling and maybe even the BMS. Until we see the actual RE connector, I'll have to assume the mating of the pack to the car is automatic and protected from fiddling humans. For all we know the RE could be something other than 800V DC. Maybe it is something akin to VTG/VTH.

There is somewhat "bad" news , though. I can see aftermarket vendors figuring out some way to manufacture bigger capacity compatible REs. I can thus see Tesla getting nervous about this possibility.

Until details convince me otherwise, the Range Extender is a great idea IMO. For those who say there's no way that the RE will be removable, I submit the garage-stacking system that my BIL has. Here's an example:

https:// youtu.be/G9Gq-mKg0oA

If one can buy a system to stack cars in a residential garage, I'm sure that Tesla can figure out a system to mount and dismount the RE from the CT bed. Besides, both AWD CTs have more than enough range for daily use without the RE. The RE is designed for occasional towing. I can see also a tradesman towing a small utility trailer and using the RE full time with the bed closed with the optional cover.

As to complaints about a removable pack being a safety hazard, I also disagree. The pack will likely have all its "guts" self-contained, including cooling and maybe even the BMS. Until we see the actual RE connector, I'll have to assume the mating of the pack to the car is automatic and protected from fiddling humans. For all we know the RE could be something other than 800V DC. Maybe it is something akin to VTG/VTH.

There is somewhat "bad" news , though. I can see aftermarket vendors figuring out some way to manufacture bigger capacity compatible REs. I can thus see Tesla getting nervous about this possibility.
For $16k purchase costs and just occasional use plus costs for tools and lifts… lol…. Maybe just rent a gasoline truck at Hertz the few days a year you are doing serious towing??

Has actual production started?
I understand stamping stainless panels has it’s own extensive learning curve.
It’s not the truck for me, and at this stage I wouldn’t even consider a truck without V2L/V2H option
Acronyms are rife on this site but this takes the cake. But I'm just an old man with lifetime of free Supercharging...
By the way this was a cryptosnark.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj and Cal1
For $16k purchase costs and just occasional use plus costs for tools and lifts… lol…. Maybe just rent a gasoline truck at Hertz the few days a year you are doing serious towing??
Agree completely. To me, spending that kind of money for just a bit more "portable" range is nuts. It would have made a lot more sense to partner with someone and stick a generator in back when needed. That would be under $2,000 and provide a lot more range, a lot less weight, plus some actual utility outside of the vehicle. But that makes too much sense.

Range extender is as idiotic as the truck. What in heck is yet more battery gonna do? Do none of the fan boys tow? (Ok, silly question, of course not). You’re going to cut range in half AT BEST and often by 2/3rds. I’m gonna spend $116k, plus tax, to tow 150-200 miles? Golly thanks, but no.

The only thing that will drop faster than its towing range will be its resale value.

Say, can’t I could buy an f-350 diesel and a PHEV maverick for darn near same money?

I predict 60% of reservations cancel before pickup, residual values set a new low for an EV, and Ford and Stellantis stock owners celebrate. It won’t be in production, as is, for more than 2-3 years before it’s cancelled or massively redesigned.

Meanwhile sooner or later GM or Ford will figure out they should build a work truck version of an EV truck and will sell like crazy.

• Funny
Reactions: T3SLAROD and SO16
Say, can’t I could buy an f-350 diesel and a PHEV maverick for darn near same money?

I predict 60% of reservations cancel before pickup, residual values set a new low for an EV, and Ford and Stellantis stock owners celebrate. It won’t be in production, as is, for more than 2-3 years before it’s cancelled or massively redesigned.

Meanwhile sooner or later GM or Ford will figure out they should build a work truck version of an EV truck and will sell like crazy.

Every CT sold is perhaps one less F-350 or other gas guzzling truck, better for the environment.

Just looking at the Specs, it's hard not to choose the Lightening, unless you live in a war zone.

If 60% cancel, It's going to take 3 years to make 400000 CT's. If the CT reservation holders go to the competition, I hope Ford and GM can keep up.

Reactions: scottf200
Acronyms are rife on this site but this takes the cake. But I'm just an old man with lifetime of free Supercharging...
By the way this was a cryptosnark.

"Acronyms suck". Elon

From one old guy to another, some definitions of these relatively new terms

V2L
Vehicle to load, think welder or portable equipment.

V2H
Vehicle to Home. Powers your home though a gateway or generator switch.

Reactions: scottf200
Every CT sold is perhaps one less F-350 or other gas guzzling truck, better for the environment.

Just looking at the Specs, it's hard not to choose the Lightening, unless you live in a war zone.

If 60% cancel, It's going to take 3 years to make 400000 CT's. If the CT reservation holders go to the competition, I hope Ford and GM can keep up.

I'd rather see rivian get the sales, I think. Although, I really do hate to support amazon. No matter how indirect that might be!

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I really wanted to like the Cybertruck.

I have a 22 Model S now with OEM hitch. I tow often with short distances.

I live on a dirt road in the northeast. Last winter was not bad. Actually spring mud season is the toughest. But a bad winter could be trouble. Clearance is the biggest issue and Cybertruck would fix that.

I love the 400 mile range on the S. I could live with the 340. I love doing rough trip from central NH to central MA with no charging stops in winter and no planning to top off battery before I leave (usually have battery at 80%)

I’m fine with pricing. Considering inflation since it was announced I think Cycber truck is actually on target.

I like the Yoke. The Yoke was introduced on the Cycbertruck. But no screen in front of driver for $80K+ is tough to swallow. I had 3, X and S.

Is screen required, no, but I love it.

The hard edges on the interior is a bit of a turn off.

Worried about things like the wiper blade. Something like that could be a nightmare. Check out videos on it. It’s like 4ft long.

Problem is Tesla has a hard time refining fixes. Like the vibration issues on S/X that have existed for like 8 years.

There is a lot of new tech on the Cybertruck and I expect 80% will work great. It will be that last 20% that Tesla may never fix that worries me, depends on if it’s something that matters to me.

So I give up range, driver screen, looks, warm feeling interior, efficiency. For clearance and probably better towing (I have no need over 4,000 lbs).

I was willing to look past the ugly exterior that might grow on me. But the interior is just as bad. Does the future have square couches? I hope not.

Lighting and Rivian look more attractive in many ways. But they have so many issues that Teslas don’t.

I think my Model S will continue to be my best “EV Truck” for now. Until I need to be towed out of the mud in the spring.

I really wanted to like the Cybertruck.

I have a 22 Model S now with OEM hitch. I tow often with short distances.

I live on a dirt road in the northeast. Last winter was not bad. Actually spring mud season is the toughest. But a bad winter could be trouble. Clearance is the biggest issue and Cybertruck would fix that.

I love the 400 mile range on the S. I could live with the 340. I love doing rough trip from central NH to central MA with no charging stops in winter and no planning to top off battery before I leave (usually have battery at 80%)

I’m fine with pricing. Considering inflation since it was announced I think Cycber truck is actually on target.

I like the Yoke. The Yoke was introduced on the Cycbertruck. But no screen in front of driver for $80K+ is tough to swallow. I had 3, X and S.

Is screen required, no, but I love it.

The hard edges on the interior is a bit of a turn off.

Worried about things like the wiper blade. Something like that could be a nightmare. Check out videos on it. It’s like 4ft long.

Problem is Tesla has a hard time refining fixes. Like the vibration issues on S/X that have existed for like 8 years.

There is a lot of new tech on the Cybertruck and I expect 80% will work great. It will be that last 20% that Tesla may never fix that worries me, depends on if it’s something that matters to me.

So I give up range, driver screen, looks, warm feeling interior, efficiency. For clearance and probably better towing (I have no need over 4,000 lbs).

I was willing to look past the ugly exterior that might grow on me. But the interior is just as bad. Does the future have square couches? I hope not.

Lighting and Rivian look more attractive in many ways. But they have so many issues that Teslas don’t.

I think my Model S will continue to be my best “EV Truck” for now. Until I need to be towed out of the mud in the spring.
I like the way that you think overall. There are a lot of very functional 3rd party driver screen for the Y and 3 now. I'd bet the commonality of the plugs and 'canbus msgs' would be compatible. That market really really took off when the Chinese market gigafactory opened (hands on access). Competition is good.

It sure seems like the AWD Dual with the Range Extender fits the bill for you.
krQYTXQ.jpg

Ford already has the F-150 Lightning Pro, and yes you can buy it today. Unfortunately for me, the 211 max range at 70mph would be risky given the miles I drive in a normal day. The pricing on it however, is just ideal. Plus the interior is still better than the Cybertruck.

1701540794218.png

Here is something to consider.

What is the achievable range with the competition?

Until they can access most SC stations with NACS, a whole lot less than the CT. This could take years to roll out to the majority of the Tesla SC.

Look at where you live and want to travel on a regular basis towing. How far to the nearest EA station? Do you trust it? Now how far to the nearest SC....

Ford already has the F-150 Lightning Pro, and yes you can buy it today. Unfortunately for me, the 211 max range at 70mph would be risky given the miles I drive in a normal day. The pricing on it however, is just ideal. Plus the interior is still better than the Cybertruck.

View attachment 995833
Pro version is a great fleet vehicle… most plumbers, AC tech, electricians drive well under 200 miles a day because you don’t make money driving but working…. And then charge up overnight and good to go the next day.

CT Beast is a stone-gas looker-- especially with black wrap. And just about as fast as Plaid except for that top end. I want it-- want it-- I want it. I'll either replace my Plaid X, or keep the X and Turo the CT or the X-- depending on which one I prefer. CT can tow most anything I will be preferring to buy, so that is outstanding. If I like the CT, range extender goes in-- Space Camper fits nicely on top of it.

Last edited:
Hello,

I never had a Tesla, but I had one EV and currently one PHEV. I have a deposit on the CyberTruck (late deposit)

Question 1: How many of you will or may transition to the CyberTruck when it's released?
Question 2: What are your expectations for the true final price of the 2-3 difference motor levels of the CT?
I canceled my day zero reservation after Thursday’s “spectacle”…

Reactions: Genie