Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many P85D Owners Have Completed The Ludicrous Retrofit.

When it comes to the Ludicrous Retrofit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P85DEE

Oct 10, 2015
TMC
I'm starting this thread to keep from jacking the scheduling thread.

The scheduling thread of course tells us who has been scheduled and there are posts in it from those who have not been scheduled as well.

But this thread should give us a close to running tally of the members in here who have actually had the retrofit completed as well as a bit of other info.

If you've had the retrofit done, would you please in your post, list the date and the SC where you had it done ?

******If it's being done as you read this, well then go ahead and select the first option.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I should have started my first post with information I requested from you.

April 12th-14th, Cleveland Lyndhurst Service Center, P85+ loaner, they provided the transport. My retrofit went without a hitch or a glitch and I followed as much as I could on the Tesla App on my iPhone.

They picked the car up on the 12th at around noon, returned it to me at around noon on the 14th, washed and detailed with the tires rotated. Top notch service.

I was said to be #8 on the original "list" at my SC when the retrofit was first offered months ago. I have seen a report of just one other member of this forum who has had their retrofit done at the same SC, and prior to mine.

I paid sales tax on the $4500.00 balance

My retrofit was done April 12-13 at the Houston North Service Center. I combined this with the LTE wireless upgrade. They picked up my car and loaned me a very nice P90D, so I had time to get used to Ludicrous performance. Money well spent.

It's well worth it. The car is so damn fast in all situations. I'm guessing this poll won't actually give us a sense of the real world percentage of P85D's that are getting the upgrade. Seems that the average TMC member is probably more likely than average to get the upgrade.

It's well worth it. The car is so damn fast in all situations. I'm guessing this poll won't actually give us a sense of the real world percentage of P85D's that are getting the upgrade. Seems that the average TMC member is probably more likely than average to get the upgrade.

Yeah, really all that I can hope for here is to get an idea of how many forum members are at various stages of having it done, how many are still considering it and how many are passing in it.

25 people in here reporting already that they've either done it or are in the stages of doing it is impressive. I'm thinking that a lot of this forum perhaps around 50 -100 people, will end up taking advantage of the offer before it's taken off the table. And they'll do so for a variety of reasons.

Which sort of leads me into another poll or survey.

Those who did and who are taking this deal, what are your reasons?

I'll share mine.

Mine are the increased performance both from a standstill and from a roll. Better highway passing capabilitiy, better desirability and better resale advantage, ability to improve performance without touching the warranty, and as much fun as the car previously was to drive, it's even more fun to drive now.

I never expected to get this much "utility" out of Ludicrous. Looking at it really as a "toy" before I got it.

But I find myself using the more effective and efficient passing capabilitiy each time I make my commute from the suburbs into the city and back.

Now I can't imagine the car without Ludicrous.

Only drawback is that it doesn't feel quite as planted when you mash the go pedal now. But when you add power, that's to be expected to some degree.

Those who are sitting this out, if it's not too personal, what are yours for sitting it out?

I've met one other P85D owner in person who told me he was sitting this out because the car was already fast enough and he didn't want to risk any traffic violations that he wasn't already at risk for.

Last edited:
My reason - My car was in production when the P90DL was announced. I considered cancelling and reordering but ultimately went the retrofit route because it was marginally cheaper (I'm leasing which makes the math complex). Happy I went this route as I got the fun of doing the upgrade and getting a "new car" again.

My reason - My car was in production when the P90DL was announced. I considered cancelling and reordering but ultimately went the retrofit route because it was marginally cheaper (I'm leasing which makes the math complex). Happy I went this route as I got the fun of doing the upgrade and getting a "new car" again.

tstafford, as you allude to above, the wow factor also has to be taken into consideration.

There is a lot to be said about having the top available performance package, which was the initial reason why some went with the P85D in the first place, Ludicrous is like getting a new car.

The Ludicrous retrofit, is sort of like hitting the reset button for top notch or top shelf performance capability. When you first bought, you had the performance king of the hill.

Then they came out with a new king. But using the same car, you can upgrade to that.

In my mind, that's one of the things that make it such a deal. Performance wise, you started out at the top and you're still at the top. That usually doesn't happen without a much larger wallet dent than $5,000.00.

So to your comment, yes, I agree, it really is like getting a new car for less than it would have taken to get a new car.

Last edited:
I just got my car back with the update. I'm really looking forward to testing it out. I am sure it will be a vast improvement from the 85 loaner with no autopilot that I just returned.

Congrats to you and the others ricci21.

I had suspected that the number of owners in here deciding on the retrofit would be at least 50 before the offer was pulled.

It's looking like over 35 people in here have already had it done, with several others scheduled to have it done.

I'm from the UK and I am one of the few who have had my car upgraded here. I too was caught out when they announced the P90DL last July as my car had just been built. Anyway, it's the best £4300 I have spent on an upgrade and just when I had got used to my car, I have a new level of acceleration to enjoy.

I hope Tesla will allow other retrofits in the future. My next would be a battery upgrade once they offer 110kwh. We will have to see.