Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people pay for Premium Connectivity?

Do you pay for Premium Connectivity?

• Yes

• No, not worth it

• No (because I get it for free)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started subscribing a couple of months ago. I’m now doing a four hour or so round trip once or twice a week and listen to a lot of podcasts. I felt trying to move on to the next after one finished using my phone was just too unsafe. Having the satellite view is a nice bonus.

You can just one-off pay for a month? Or you subscribe and cancel?
Subscribe and cancel. If you cancel you still get it for the rest of the month so you can probably subscribe then cancel immediately. They don't make it to hard either I thought it would be like trying to cancel Sky but its fine. I think you can even do it via the app now

Hmmm the joys of buying 2019, the T&C's where written in a way that meant you got it for life. Tesla did charge me for a month or two then gave up as I believe enough people complained and highlighted the error of their ways - never got the 2 months refunded though - cheeky buggers.

I see it as partial compensation for the dubious Freemont build quality :cool:

Spotify on the move and youtube netflix when stationary are it's main uses

Hmmm the joys of buying 2019, the T&C's where written in a way that meant you got it for life. Tesla did charge me for a month or two then gave up as I believe enough people complained and highlighted the error of their ways - never got the 2 months refunded though - cheeky buggers.
Pre July 2019 to be precise or as I think of it: 2 weeks before I ordered mine 😟

I was going to renew when my first year subscription expired but because of the various lockdowns I wasn't using the car on enough long journeys to justify it and although the satellite map is attractive, I don't need it (especially as navigation goes choose the most effective route regardless of seeing congestion on screen).

Since then I have upgraded my phone plan to unlimited data at £8 rather than the £9.99/mth that Tesla charges. The main reason was that I listen to a lot of streamed music on Amazon Music Unlimited when walking & since they upgraded the plan to HD at the same cost, my previous data plan was insufficient. The fact that Tesla now gives the facility to remain connected to wifi in drive also meant that I could use Spotify in the car without constant disconnections. That made the decision a no brainer for me.

Unlimited phone data gives me so many more options given that I spend far more time away from the car than with it & I also listen to a lot of music on the go.:
  • Unlimited streamed Amazon music on my phone
  • Wifi tethering to the car every time I use it
  • Spotify in the car for every journey I want it
  • Netflix/YouTube in the car when supercharging etc
  • Netflix/YouTube at the airport when (if) I am allowed to fly to the USA again (AZ vaccinations)

with two of us driving three kids around, we'd have to upgrade both our phone data plans to unlimited to make it worthwhile. That means the Tesla plan works for us financially. Netflix/YouTube are essential when the kids are stuck in the car waiting for anything and Spotify for an endless series of different versions of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Oh, and I love being able to simple press once and say "Play Pink Floyd on Spotify" and have music playing instantly.

Reactions: Akikiki
Hi all just a question, I collected my M3SR last week and assume I have the month long premium subscription. When I check in the menu it displays the below showing I have premium connectivity included. I ordered the car through a salary sacrifice scheme at work. I've read in a couple of places that the premium subscription just runs on if its leased. Can anyone confirm what their display shows if they have the trial? Cheers...

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_172954~2.jpg
    IMG_20210930_172954~2.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 98
Hi all just a question, I collected my M3SR last week and assume I have the month long premium subscription. When I check in the menu it displays the below showing I have premium connectivity included. I ordered the car through a salary sacrifice scheme at work. I've read in a couple of places that the premium subscription just runs on if its leased. Can anyone confirm what their display shows if they have the trial? Cheers...
I have the 12 month free version, not the trial here, but is shows exactly the same. You can also see your end date in the app (in upgrades) or on the account section of the website.

It's a bit of a sore point for me. It was free when I got the car, and it said so on the car's screen. Then one day about 18 months ago I was driving home and the car lost its traffic data. When I got home my app wouldn't work either since I suddenly had no car in my account. It turned out that somehow my car had been assigned to another owner! It took a few days to sort out but when the car was re-established on my account Premium Connectivity was setup as the 12-month trial. I sent endless mails to Tesla but they said at the point of order it was not permanently free. I lost the will to argue it...

@GRiLLA, No so - any more. On 15 Oct Tesla announced a revised policy. If you sell your car even to a private buyer, that new owner of your free Premium for car's life Connectivity - ends in 30 days from registration of ownership transfer.
Link please. I'm not sure how that could apply in the UK as they can't change the agreement of sale agreement retrospectively.

Still in the free trial for my car, not planning on paying when it ends as the only thing I use is live traffic and it isn't going to be £10/month of pain to use one of the dozens of free options on my phone instead when I need the information.