Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people with Model 3 reservations have no at home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious. My wife and I's situation is a bit unique. I work 100% from home and she is finishing her residency. I am hoping to get my Model 3 in December/January (going LR+Premium to get first build) We will be moving to wherever her fellowship in July of next year.

However, in my current place, there is no exterior electric outlet (renting a townhome) At all. But, due to my work from home status, I maaaybe put 100 miles a week on my car. There are two destination chargers at nearby restaurants and a supercharging station. Also, my wifes car is a bigger SUV, so we'll likely use that for any long trips.

Anyone else in a similar boat? Renting a place you can't charge at? What are your charging plans?

I'm curious. My wife and I's situation is a bit unique. I work 100% from home and she is finishing her residency. I am hoping to get my Model 3 in December/January (going LR+Premium to get first build) We will be moving to wherever her fellowship in July of next year.

However, in my current place, there is no exterior electric outlet (renting a townhome) At all. But, due to my work from home status, I maaaybe put 100 miles a week on my car. There are two destination chargers at nearby restaurants and a supercharging station. Also, my wifes car is a bigger SUV, so we'll likely use that for any long trips.

Anyone else in a similar boat? Renting a place you can't charge at? What are your charging plans?

If you are only driving 100 miles a week, charging outside your home should not be that big of a deal. Go to the supercharger once a week and you'll have more than enough range.

Last edited:
Wanna bet?
Exactly. Once you get into the habit of driving a Tesla you won't want to use the ice car. The urban build out of Superchargers is exactly for your type of owner. It is too bad though because the convenience of plugging in the car when you get home is underrated. But we often leave ours not plugged in for a week or more at a time since we drive it so little locally that a 50% charge lasts a long time, even with phantom losses.

Sort of. I live in a condo and all I have is a normal plug on a shared 20 amp circuit in my garage. I asked my HOA if I could pay to put a 220 volt circuit in and they said no, since the garages are on shared power. Technically, they didn't tell me I couldn't charge on the plug that's there, so I'm planning on charging overnight, which should replenish my 30-mile round-trip commute. If it doesn't, there are free destination chargers nearby. I figure that if my HOA isn't willing to work with me, I'm more than happy to charge for free off of them.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
currently only have a standard outlets in our garage and keep putting off moving forward with one of the several $1000+ estimates for installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Thinking about seeing how super slow charging via the standard outlet goes at first. My wife's daily driving commute is around 10 miles round trip and we rarely take road trips, so as long as we remember to plug in regularly we could be okay.

If not, hopefully the Seattle area will be flooded with Model 3's and competition with cause electrical companies to drop their estimates a bit and we'll move forward with the 14-50.