Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many percent of Tesla owners have bought TSLA shares and roughly how many shares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was inspired to get involved with tesla when an employee asked my opinion of a leaf. I had reserved a leaf prior to them being released but cancelled upon discovering the range. Had previously been intrigued by the roadster stats and told the employee to checkout tesla then I thought why don't I. It was back in sept 2012 and was surprised to see tesla store in wash d.c. And arranged test drive that weekend. I convinced myself I was looking for investment and took my 18 yr old with me, I was hoping to see if it was real. I had already purchased a high end car less than a yr ago. The car and associate impressed me and my son. The car of course by how it drove and the associate by no pressure let the car sell itself approach. There was no let's close this deal talk terms etc. Well I placed order for stock on Monday and reserved a car as well. Bought in at 27.5 and against all rules put entire Ira in stock and calls. There were many days of sweating it. Sold my car and got my tesla. Now it hurts to have to diversify my holdings. I have essentially funded a retirement more comfortable than I could have ever had if I continued to practice medicine

I was inspired to get involved with tesla when an employee asked my opinion of a leaf. I had reserved a leaf prior to them being released but cancelled upon discovering the range. Had previously been intrigued by the roadster stats and told the employee to checkout tesla then I thought why don't I. It was back in sept 2012 and was surprised to see tesla store in wash d.c. And arranged test drive that weekend. I convinced myself I was looking for investment and took my 18 yr old with me, I was hoping to see if it was real. I had already purchased a high end car less than a yr ago. The car and associate impressed me and my son. The car of course by how it drove and the associate by no pressure let the car sell itself approach. There was no let's close this deal talk terms etc. Well I placed order for stock on Monday and reserved a car as well. Bought in at 27.5 and against all rules put entire Ira in stock and calls. There were many days of sweating it. Sold my car and got my tesla. Now it hurts to have to diversify my holdings. I have essentially funded a retirement more comfortable than I could have ever had if I continued to practice medicine

Nicely done. You can probably fund your son's college/medical school (maybe) education as well.

lol. I've been trying to get my younger brother to buy TSLA since October. He always wishes he had bought after a pop, but can't make himself buy.

I got my retired parents to buy a few thousand shares prior to Q1 earnings.

Here's how I did it. I gave them a personal guarantee:
"If you buy X amount of shares of TSLA and hold them for 5 years, I will personally guarantee your losses (if any) when you sell."

I also sent them a very long and detailed report I wrote up on why I thought TSLA could give them 5x on their investment in 5 years.

It was a bold move on my part but I had a lot of confidence that in 5 years the stock would be higher than pre-Q1-earnings levels and I was willing to risk my own capital to make the guarantee for my parents.

Great job, guys! Guess we all have contributed a little bit to the TSLA short squeeze and help TSLA raising a cool billion dollars at $92. By the way, if you want to buy the stock but think it's a little bit too pricy now, you may simply short some long term put to help reduce the cost.

I put pretty much all my money in TSLA during 2012. I just starter college, so I've only got a couple hundred shares, but I've already made enough to pay for half of my master. I hope it will be enough to give me a kick start when buying an apartment in 2017 when I've graduated. Hopefully housing prices in Norway have come down some after 30 years of almost exponential growth... I've tried to get some of my friends to buy some but they always procrastinate it, and then just shake their heads in disbelief when I tell them how much I've made since last time I told them to invest.

My wife and I picked up 40 shares in July 2011 at $28. In the two years since, have made 16 additional purchases, so now have 1600 shares at an average purchase price of $39.50. These have netted enough profits to purchase our loaded P85, and about 1/3 of the used Roadster we bought to go with it. Of course these are only "paper profits", because we haven't sold one single share yet, and don't plan on selling any until Gen III is out and being sold worldwide. I think it might peak about then.

I started paying attention to Tesla beginning of 2012. By mid 2012 I was absolutely convinced and thought hard about putting down a reservation. But I told myself that if buying the car was a good purchase, then buying the stock would be a better purchase. Since the car absolutely convinced me I bought stock. Going into the Q1 earnings I was controlling >10k shares with stock and calls...

You've made my day! Guess you will get a Model S anyway:)

I started paying attention to Tesla beginning of 2012. By mid 2012 I was absolutely convinced and thought hard about putting down a reservation. But I told myself that if buying the car was a good purchase, then buying the stock would be a better purchase. Since the car absolutely convinced me I bought stock. Going into the Q1 earnings I was controlling >10k shares with stock and calls...

It all started here:
03/07/2013 15:38:05
Bought 1 TSLA @ 38.3699
Why 1 share?

Well, I had an old Ameritrade account that for some reason had $650 cash in it from some time ago. I haven't done any day trading in years, so before I did a wire transfer to start trading for real I wanted to get a feel for how TSLA moves daily. But it annoyed me to type the symbol in constantly so I bought 1 share so that I can just click on it :tongue:.

I got a feel after a few days, so I figured ok, let me try and do a practice day trade. So bought 14 additional TSLA for $40.599 on April 9th - maxing out the account. (Can't margin at that balance). Tried picking up 1 more share on a day range, but it was too hard with only 15 shares. So I stayed at 15 shares and Ameritrade just made commission on the attempts.

Ok, screw it. Time for the wire transfer so I can do this seriously... Except... Wait. One more thing. Let me see if I remember how options work. Ok, sold 10 shares (@ $43) and picked up 1 $40.0 call contract instead. Bought at $4.2, sold 2 days later at $7.6. Ok, suddenly the account is at $1000. Ok, let me try again, bought 4 x 48.0 calls at $2.35, sold 3 days later at $5.00. Mmm. Now account is $2000. Ok, bought 11 x May 55 calls for 1.8, sold at 2.06, rebought 12 at 1.85. Now up to $2200 on April 23'rd, holding 1200 May 18th 55 calls, going into Q1 earnings...

At this point I figured I'll wait off on doing that wire transfer. If the price went down after Q1 it's better to buy the stock later. If it goes up, my 1200 options cover me with more shares than I would have bought. So wait and see basically.

And oh, see we did :love:.

After that my trades got much more complicated and "diversified" into actual TSLA shares as well, but long story short, that initial $650 "investment" back in April has now paid for half of my Model S - a 7600% gain :D.

It all started here:
03/07/2013 15:38:05
Bought 1 TSLA @ 38.3699
Why 1 share?

Well, I had an old Ameritrade account that for some reason had $650 cash in it from some time ago. I haven't done any day trading in years, so before I did a wire transfer to start trading for real I wanted to get a feel for how TSLA moves daily. But it annoyed me to type the symbol in constantly so I bought 1 share so that I can just click on it :tongue:.

I got a feel after a few days, so I figured ok, let me try and do a practice day trade. So bought 14 additional TSLA for $40.599 on April 9th - maxing out the account. (Can't margin at that balance). Tried picking up 1 more share on a day range, but it was too hard with only 15 shares. So I stayed at 15 shares and Ameritrade just made commission on the attempts.

Ok, screw it. Time for the wire transfer so I can do this seriously... Except... Wait. One more thing. Let me see if I remember how options work. Ok, sold 10 shares (@ $43) and picked up 1 $40.0 call contract instead. Bought at $4.2, sold 2 days later at $7.6. Ok, suddenly the account is at $1000. Ok, let me try again, bought 4 x 48.0 calls at $2.35, sold 3 days later at $5.00. Mmm. Now account is $2000. Ok, bought 11 x May 55 calls for 1.8, sold at 2.06, rebought 12 at 1.85. Now up to $2200 on April 23'rd, holding 1200 May 18th 55 calls, going into Q1 earnings...

At this point I figured I'll wait off on doing that wire transfer. If the price went down after Q1 it's better to buy the stock later. If it goes up, my 1200 options cover me with more shares than I would have bought. So wait and see basically.

And oh, see we did :love:.

After that my trades got much more complicated and "diversified" into actual TSLA shares as well, but long story short, that initial $650 "investment" back in April has now paid for half of my Model S - a 7600% gain :D.

You are my new money manager! :wink: Where do I send my funds for you to invest....... Congratulations. Not only has this vehicle put a Tesla grin on many faces, but the TSLA grin is getting bigger and bigger for stock holders. Some days I feel like the 'Joker' from Batman...Frozen large grin!

According to this thread every Model S owner also owns some few thousand shares on average... :)

I'd say, this thread is not representative for all Tesa owners, since it's in the investor discussions area.
How about having a collective guess, how much "buying pressure" every sold Model S will bring? Based on everybody's own experience with friends, families, colleagues...

My question is: How many shares are being bought for every new Model S sold?

My guess is: 300 shares on average.
@40.000 cars sold next year (my guess), this would be an "additional buying pressure" of 12 million shares next year, which would have a significant impact on the stock price.

I ask everyone to state their best guess, what the number of acquired shares per newly bought model S could be.
But keep in mind here: Many people already have the stock and plan on buying the model S in the future. These have to be taken out of the equation when asking, how many shares a new Model S sells since in those cases it's the other way round: The shares sold the model S... :)

I test drove the model S about 6-8 weeks ago with my wife, I had been interested for a while but did not have a single thought about investing. I had only bought one stock in my life many years ago. My wife was sold, but we were not ready to commit to buying yet. However, I knew immediately I needed some stock. I bought early the following week then price dropped and I tried to time the market. That ended up costing me a bit of money and lesson learned. I've got ~400 shares and plan to reserve a model x shortly. I was in the middle of putting an 8kw solar system on my roof otherwise I would have bought a few hundred more shares with that cash. I thought it was a better investment to do solar before tesla. Now when I get my X I will be driving for free.

According to this thread every Model S owner also owns some few thousand shares on average... :)

I don't own any shares. I thought the stock felt overpriced at $40/share. oops.
At $125/share, I'm actually considering trying to sell some calls.
I love my car, but $14B for a company with $2B in revenue is a really high price.
I feel like people are buying TSLA because they like the car/company, rather than because they see how the company's future earnings are justifying today's price.
The whole idea that selling the car sells the stock underscores this theory of people buying TSLA at any price.

I like the car and the company (even if I think their service leaves something to be desired).
I also really liked my TiVo at the start of 2000, so it's good that I don't go buying stock in products that I really like.
I'm sure Dutch tulips were quite lovely, too.

I'm confident that EVs will succeed. I think TSLA will succeed. I just think the stock is overpriced at 7X revenue.

I have been a long tsla investor for almost 2 years continually buying along the way and getting out of other equities and eventually being all in tsla before the '13 Q1 earnings and always being happy with the results. Such that now I find it hard to put any amount of money in anything other than tsla, including buying a model s, of which now I can afford several thanks to the returns. I know this is risky, but i am ok with it so much so that i also have invested on margin. I even find it hard to dedicate 5k for a reservation while it gains zero interest and seeing what that same 5k would do in tsla. I would like to buy a model s and reserve a model x but continue to hold off while putting all funds into tsla. I believed in the company from the beginning and would kick myself if that money I put into actually purchasing the product took away for future gains on the stock (see early purchases of apple products versus stock early on). So my question is, and this may sound ridiculous at first, but could tesla figure out a way to credit investors for investment in the stock as a reservation? The reservation holder would obviously bear the risk or reward. Elon has solved much bigger problems and has said and proved numerous times that he wants to tear down all barriers to adoption. I just find it odd that my belief in the company as an investor is barring me from purchasing the product. I see myself investing heavily in tsla for the next ~5 years which will potentially delay my purchase of a tesla for that time period. I know that elon has more important issues to address with reusable rockets, mars, model x, gen 3 and ramping model s, etc. just a thought. I guess I just want to have my cake and eat it too which elon obviously understands and has delivered on many times.

I am in some what the same boat as drewsevelt. I am holding out for Gen 3 but I keep telling myself that not matter how well TSLA does I will not get a model X .... my net worth before investing in TSLA was maybe 7k or so .... If the stock continues this tear for long it will be harder and harder not to "justify" a Model X ... although by most accounts that would be a terrible decision for me.

I don't own an S yet but I do have shares. I first bought at $18 and that sure feels like getting in on the ground floor. I bought several more times and my average is $25 per share. I told my father and friends dozens of times to buy shares. None listened. I will buy gen 3.

(Off topic rant) About today's share price and market cap, it sure does feel high. However.... If you are familiar with Ray Kurtsweil and this hypothesis of the singularity (exponentially faster technological advancement) it does jive with how the market is reacting. In just 5 years we may see 100,000+ units per year. I think today's price could still be close ground floor for where it will end up. Market Cap of $50B+ is in the horizon if they execute.

Last edited: