Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, Ford has announced 15k for 2022. The second generation Lightning will be released in 2025.
Yikes, that seems like peanuts for Ford's (and Tesla's) numbers. Hopefully they can bump those up a lot.

On a sidenote (regarding the conversation about whether or not the CT is a work truck), Sandy Munroe states that Tesla's about 8 years ahead of any car company in terms of EVs, which most likely references the battery tech Tesla has. This directly affects range, which I believe is important for any work truck. Range is also affected by the aerodynamics of the vehicle itself, and noticing how the Ford F-150 is much less aerodynamic compared to the CT, it's no wonder how much a gap there is between range (with the F-150 being predicted to have an estimated range of 360 or so miles and the CT, tri-motor, is 500+ miles). I do feel like that's a big issue that may need to be considered when choosing between the two.

Source:
Some Youtube video I found earlier. Guy claims to have driven many different Ford vehicles and Teslas, as well as worked in construction for 30+ years, and has some great insight into both vehicles. He goes into depth much more than I have regarding: stainless steel (no paint and less damage at a job site), bed space, clearance, compressor, and other topics.

Last edited:
I saw the 15k for 2022 number as well. Unlike CT I got my lightening reservation in the first day it was possible but I doubt I’m under 15k, and certainly not going to be first so end of 2022 at best. Looks like I’m not getting either truck for a while.

Yikes, that seems like peanuts for Ford's (and Tesla's) numbers. Hopefully they can bump those up a lot.

On a sidenote (regarding the conversation about whether or not the CT is a work truck), Sandy Munroe states that Tesla's about 8 years ahead of any car company in terms of EVs, which most likely references the battery tech Tesla has. This directly affects range, which I believe is important for any work truck. Range is also affected by the aerodynamics of the vehicle itself, and noticing how the Ford F-150 is much less aerodynamic compared to the CT, it's no wonder how much a gap there is between range (with the F-150 being predicted to have an estimated range of 360 or so miles and the CT, tri-motor, is 500+ miles). I do feel like that's a big issue that may need to be considered when choosing between the two.

Source:
Some Youtube video I found earlier. Guy claims to have driven many different Ford vehicles and Teslas, as well as worked in construction for 30+ years, and has some great insight into both vehicles. He goes into depth much more than I have regarding: stainless steel (no paint and less damage at a job site), bed space, clearance, compressor, and other topics.

There is no Trimotor CT with 500+ miles, there is however ICE 2.7, 3.3, PB, V8, Diesel and an EV F-150 being tested with an EPA rating of 300 miles.

I agree there is a HUGE GAP in battery tech between Tesla and Ford. However, one of these trucks is a reality while the other is still in a prototype stage that will only get off the ground once the Y starts rolling off the assembly line.

The 2.7 3.3 and PB get great gas mileage for a big truck, aerodynamics shouldn't be an issue.

Overall a bit confused by your statements here.
There is no Trimotor CT with 500+ miles, there is however ICE 2.7, 3.3, PB, V8, Diesel and an EV F-150 being tested with an EPA rating of 300 miles.

Linking the official Tesla website where the Trimotor CT will have 500+ miles, and I don't doubt this claim Tesla's making. Other than timeframes for releases, I've never seen Tesla take back their words regarding features in a vehicle.

I agree there is a HUGE GAP in battery tech between Tesla and Ford. However, one of these trucks is a reality while the other is still in a prototype stage that will only get off the ground once the Y starts rolling off the assembly line.

That doesn't make the Cybertruck any less better than it will be. It's expected to start delivering in early 2022, same with the Lightning, though I should point out that there will only be 15k Lightnings produced the entire YEAR, and most people won't receive theirs for a while after that. The Cybertruck is just as much of a reality as the Lightning if they're both expected to be produced around the same time.

Not to mention one of the first CT's produced will be the tri-motor, as about half of all CT reservations were for the tri-motor Cybertruck.

In addition to this, I'm not sure what your claim is regarding "once the Y starts rolling off the assembly line." The Model Y's been out for a while now.

The 2.7 3.3 and PB get great gas mileage for a big truck, aerodynamics shouldn't be an issue.

Well my point regarding aerodynamics is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have a brick-looking truck and get the best range. That's why the tri-motor Cybertruck will have much more range than the Lightning, because it's much more aerodynamic. From the point of view of a contractor, they will want trucks with much more range, putting the CT above the Lightning in that regard.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Linking the official Tesla website where the Trimotor CT will have 500+ miles, and I don't doubt this claim Tesla's making. Other than timeframes for releases, I've never seen Tesla take back their words regarding features in a vehicle.
The list of features that Elon has failed to deliver over the years is long and distinguished. You are new here....
Not to mention one of the first CT's produced will be the tri-motor, as about half of all CT reservations were for the tri-motor Cybertruck.
How do you know this? Tesla will start with whatever model they can produce the quickest. That may be the dual motor since they have tons of dual motor vehicles running around rt now. It would also help if they are production-constrained on motors (which could even mean they roll out the Single first?). I have watched every Telsa rollout, there's no telling what components will be constrained and cuase those builds to be delayed. We have seen certain interior colors delayed, certain interior configurations, certain wheels, you name it. Only Tesla will know the production order and they likely won't know until a few weeks out based on what components are in stock.
Well my point regarding aerodynamics is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have a brick-looking truck and get the best range. That's why the tri-motor Cybertruck will have much more range than the Lightning, because it's much more aerodynamic. From the point of view of a contractor, they will want trucks with much more range, putting the CT above the Lightning in that regard.
Who are these contractors that need to drive hundreds of miles while towing 14,000 pounds? I have had a great deal of work done to my house from a pool to HVAC to a kitchen remodel. None of these people drove more than 50 miles to get to my house. The Lightning could easily drive 100 miles roundtrip, towing a trailer w/ a bobcat or something, and have plenty of power for a day of power tools with power to spare. But of course, if you are really doing a ton of driving, then get a CT.

Further, the bed setup of the CT is terrible for many contractors. There is a huge aftermarket of products that go in the beds of pickup trucks. Things like Toolboxes, and racks so you can carry lumber, pipe, ladders, etc over the top of the cab. Many of these things will not fit in a CT in their current form. They will need to be redesigned and I can promise you where will be an immense Tesla Tax on those things because the market is tiny. Ford has committed that the Lightning bed will be the same as the ICE bed so you can use your existing accessories. Also, the toolbox is usually up near the cab so you still have room in the back to haul supplies. With the high sides on the CT you cannot walk up to the truck and grab a tool over the side. You have to climb up in to the bed every time you need to get something. That is a PITA. So yes, the brick design sacrifices range, but it increases utility. Like you said, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You need to figure out what is most important for you and purchase accordingly.

I still don't understand why you are trying so hard to crown the CT as the BEST pickup truck. Heck, Elon doesn't even believe that and he is his own biggest fan. The whole reason we have hundreds of different vehicles for sale today is because people have different needs and desires. The entire production of BOTH of these vehicles is sold out for a couple years.

The list of features that Elon has failed to deliver over the years is long and distinguished. You are new here....

How do you know this? Tesla will start with whatever model they can produce the quickest. That may be the dual motor since they have tons of dual motor vehicles running around rt now. It would also help if they are production-constrained on motors (which could even mean they roll out the Single first?). I have watched every Telsa rollout, there's no telling what components will be constrained and cuase those builds to be delayed. We have seen certain interior colors delayed, certain interior configurations, certain wheels, you name it. Only Tesla will know the production order and they likely won't know until a few weeks out based on what components are in stock.

Who are these contractors that need to drive hundreds of miles while towing 14,000 pounds? I have had a great deal of work done to my house from a pool to HVAC to a kitchen remodel. None of these people drove more than 50 miles to get to my house. The Lightning could easily drive 100 miles roundtrip, towing a trailer w/ a bobcat or something, and have plenty of power for a day of power tools with power to spare. But of course, if you are really doing a ton of driving, then get a CT.

Further, the bed setup of the CT is terrible for many contractors. There is a huge aftermarket of products that go in the beds of pickup trucks. Things like Toolboxes, and racks so you can carry lumber, pipe, ladders, etc over the top of the cab. Many of these things will not fit in a CT in their current form. They will need to be redesigned and I can promise you where will be an immense Tesla Tax on those things because the market is tiny. Ford has committed that the Lightning bed will be the same as the ICE bed so you can use your existing accessories. Also, the toolbox is usually up near the cab so you still have room in the back to haul supplies. With the high sides on the CT you cannot walk up to the truck and grab a tool over the side. You have to climb up in to the bed every time you need to get something. That is a PITA. So yes, the brick design sacrifices range, but it increases utility. Like you said, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You need to figure out what is most important for you and purchase accordingly.

I still don't understand why you are trying so hard to crown the CT as the BEST pickup truck. Heck, Elon doesn't even believe that and he is his own biggest fan. The whole reason we have hundreds of different vehicles for sale today is because people have different needs and desires. The entire production of BOTH of these vehicles is sold out for a couple years.
exactly.

Even so, he’s still done more than most of us here.
I would argue that he’s done more than everyone of us here. Not a single one of us speaks from experience when we discuss the difficulties of starting an automobile company from scratch — much less with an unproven technology — or when we discuss trying to bring a new model to market.

My uncle spent his career at GM and he loved seeing these posts. His response to me was always, “If these armchair engineers think starting car company is so easy they should try it sometime”.

There is a huge aftermarket of products that go in the beds of pickup trucks. Things like Toolboxes, and racks so you can carry lumber, pipe, ladders, etc over the top of the cab. Many of these things will not fit in a CT in their current form.
Emphasis on “current form”. They will certainly show up in time.

With the high sides on the CT you cannot walk up to the truck and grab a tool over the side. You have to climb up in to the bed every time you need to get something. That is a PITA.
I’m 5’10” and I can’t reach over the side to grab tools in the bed of my 2021 Ram 1500 now. I have to climb up into the bed every time anyway.

I was hoping to be blown away. Some of the features I thought were really interesting like the power back up that can power your house up to 3 days. Sounds great. I was a little underwhelmed with the range and even the towing specs. The high end models are 300 miles or range which is nothing crazy. I do think it looks great because I have always loved the F-150 look and the power frunk looked great also. However right now I don't see me dropping my Cybertruck reservation for the F-150 with those specs. But I do love the fact that the market is getting a little more crowded.
You are a smarter man than most. Don't trust what Ford says about specs or prices they take reservations with no money down..

• Disagree
Reactions: strider
Nope that is normal. Note that Tesla has been raising prices on it's models. It would be dumb not to when you are always sold out a quarter ahead.
Are you joining, right? Raising price over sticker price by 7k of sitting at the dealer parking lot Mach E’s is not same as raising prices on new order (plus teslas 3 and Y didn’t go up by that much over the year either).