Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much charge do you lose when the Model S sits idle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
new Tesla Model S owner here. Just picked up my P85+ on Saturday. Only been doing a few drives here and there.

When I got home and parked last night, I had 106 miles left as my rated range. I drove my SUV to work today and checked out the status of the Model S via my app. It now has a 92 mile rated range.

Is that normal? It was rather cold here in Austin, TX last night (in the low 40's) but it's now crept back up in the high 60's.

Just curious if this is to be expected.

yes its normal loss. 'vampire loss'. electronic equipment does not stay idle. battery temps kept to safe conditions. other things always run (eg so you can connect with your phone app, or detect your key fob, etc). so the little things do eat some power. such is life. you should try to always have you car plugged in at all times if possible (as opposed to sitting at home unplugged). Its ok and completely normal to go somewhere and not plug it in when doing 'normal life stuff' (out to dinner, over a friends house, etc), but recommended practice is just to plug it in whenever possible for various reasons. so if you could plug it in at work, do so. when your home, plug it in, etc. when my car is at home, its *ALWAYS* plugged in. Every when I'm out running chores in and out in and out of the house repeatedly, I still always have it plugged-in in between all those. there is no reason to have it sit at home unplugged. if you have cheaper rates at night or something that may be different but you could always used the scheduled charging and still being in that habit of plugging it in whenever possible. I guess in the end what you're really trying to do is make sure that your battery never gets to low levels and by being plugged in all the time the battery can keep itself in check. BTW I charge to 80% daily, no more. And I always try to keep it above 20%. so I try to never stray outside of the 20-80% range unless I really need to go distance without charging in between, only then will I max range it.