Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much is electricity in your neck of the woods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In NY I am paying 21.5c/kwh. I am looking into adding solar as well as a time of use plan. However, the TOU plan is very dicey due to the steep penalty for peak usage.

Is that both for distribution and supply? I plan on moving to Orange County from NJ this summer and curious what the rates are in that area. When I googled electricity supply in that county around the highland mills area I came up with a few suppliers and the rates were between 7-10c/kwh.... are you overplaying? Are you using the same supplier as your distributor?

File:Electricity Price Map.jpg | Open Energy Information has a nice picture showing rates across the US. I found that with a google query of "electricity cost map"...

The map isn't perfect since it's a couple years old and shows the average cost. For example, in Kansas, it looks like I should be in the 5-7 cents/kWh range, where I pay more like 10 cents with all the delivery charges and taxes added on. Also, you frequently hear of people in California paying 30 cents or higher (at least for their top tier of usage), which is considerably higher than the 13-15 cents/kWh shown on the map. It does show you where the high and low costs for electricity are.

As an aside, this map has a close resemblence to USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com, which is a current map of gasoline prices across the country. That is, except for Texas. Texas seems to have some of the highest electric rates, but is in the bottom third for gas prices.

Unfortunately, that is only the provincial commodity charges and they do not include loss factor adjustments and delivery charges. In actual fact, it would be closer to:

Off Peak: 11.96 cents
Mid Peak: 16.17 cents
On Peak: 18.40 cents

These are my rates in the Toronto suburbs with a utility loss factor of 1.0349 and combined delivery charges of 4.07 cents then 13% HST added. If you are a rural Hydro One customer, I'm sorry to say it will even be higher.

I had to look at the rate schedule for Ottawa one I was in front of the computer again. I didn't even realize that we were tiered after a 1,000 KWh per month.

Seems that my adjusted rates are:
$0.063 off peak + $0.0321 delivery + $0.0063 regulatory + $0.00694 debt retirement + HST (11.5%) = 12.08c/KWh

I somehow managed to completely overlook that. Ratz

...and since I looked into it, I discovered my utility had a rate increase January 1st, and so my revised numbers now are:

Off Peak: 14.39 cents
Mid Peak: 18.60 cents
On Peak: 20.82 cents

- - - Updated - - -

I had to look at the rate schedule for Ottawa one I was in front of the computer again. I didn't even realize that we were tiered after a 1,000 KWh per month.

Seems that my adjusted rates are:
$0.063 off peak + $0.0321 delivery + $0.0063 regulatory + $0.00694 debt retirement + HST (11.5%) = 12.08c/KWh

For Ontario customers not on Time-of-Use, there is a 1,000 kWh tier jump in the summer and 600 kWh in the winter. Very few customers in Ontario are still on tiered rates as Smart Meters were legislated to be in place by December 2010 with TOU rate implementation following some time after.

You also have to factor your utility's Loss Factor into most (but not all) of the billing components, and HST is 13%. There are also some regulated charges, rate riders and so forth that not all utilities show on their web sites and are often not even in the OEB (regulator's) Rate Order.

EDIT: Sorry, got the tier jumps backwards. It's 600 kWh in summer and 1,000 kWh in winter (to give electric heat folks a bit of a break).

Last edited:
Possible?

Would it be possible to get a second meter and somehow have your house usage switch between the 2 to get the best rate for the given time?
For example:
Right now I'm not on a time of use plan and pay a flat rate of $0.13/kwh.
If I go to a time of use meter I will be paying $0.05/kwh from 8am-8am.

There is a $0.30 a day fee for the additional meter, but that should pay for itself quickly.

So ideally I would like all house usage to be on the static $0.13/kwh rate meter from 8am-8pm and the switch to the time of use meter from 8pm-8am.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Last edited:
I like your scheming! Electricity rate arbitrage...

Would it be possible to get a second meter and somehow have your house usage switch between the 2 to get the best rate for the given time?
For example:
Right now I'm not on a time of use plan and pay a flat rate of $0.13/kwh.
If I go to a time of use meter I will be paying $0.05/kwh from 8am-8am.

There is a $0.30 a day fee for the additional meter, but that should pay for itself quickly.

So ideally I would like all house usage to be on the static $0.13/kwh rate meter from 8am-8pm and the switch to the time of use meter from 8pm-8am.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

I'm now looking at my PG&E (Northern California) Residential Time-of-Use schedule. During Peak summer hours (from 1 PM to 7 PM) rates range from 27.8 to 48.7 cents per kWh. Lowest rates are off-peak which in the summer are from 9 PM to 10 AM and rates range from 9.8 cents to 30.6 cents per kWh depending on how much over baseline usage one has. Even in the lower cost winter hours the lowest cost is 10.2 cents per kWh to as much as 31.0 cents for off peak hours. PG&E probably has the highest rates in the country, I love living in the People's Republic of California. One's only defense is to put up solar panels but even then the average cost of electricity is about 22 cents per kWh. I would move to Washington where electricity is almost given away from low cost hydroelectric production but I don't want to live where the sun seldom shines. Oh, I forgot, PG&E also imposes as 25.3 cents per day meter charge.

That's cheap!

In SoCal Edison in Irvine, the basic tiered rate is as follows:

January (winter baseline) 285KW.

Tier 1 - up to 285 kWh = $0.12 kWh - 285 kWh total
Tier 2 - next 86 kWh = $0.15 kWh - 371 kWh total
Tier 3 - next 200 kWh = $0.29 kWh - 571 kWh total
Tier 4 - next 285 kWh = $0.32 kWh - 856 kWh total
Tier 5 - anything more = $0.36 kWh -> any excess over 856 kWh

Moving to TOU can save quite a bit of money since it doesn't take much electricity until you're in the $0.29 kw tier.

I'm in the same boat as all the other Southern California Edison customers. Time of use (TOU-D-TEV) seems like the best option since I'm already at the Tier 5 even without the Tesla. I spoke to the Southern California Edison rep today and he explained that adding a second meter is not as easy as you think and would cost about $3000 at least. that's in addition to any panel upgrade costs (125 amp to 200 amp). In his opinion, it would not be easy to make up the $3000 difference between the TOU with single meter versus dual meter. Or at least it would take a long while. I'm wondering whether that has been the same experience from any of you that may have switched to the TOU (single or dual meter) here in Southern California Edison territory. I imagine similar rates and factors apply in Northern California.

I'm in the same boat as all the other Southern California Edison customers. Time of use (TOU-D-TEV) seems like the best option since I'm already at the Tier 5 even without the Tesla. I spoke to the Southern California Edison rep today and he explained that adding a second meter is not as easy as you think and would cost about $3000 at least. that's in addition to any panel upgrade costs (125 amp to 200 amp). In his opinion, it would not be easy to make up the $3000 difference between the TOU with single meter versus dual meter. Or at least it would take a long while. I'm wondering whether that has been the same experience from any of you that may have switched to the TOU (single or dual meter) here in Southern California Edison territory. I imagine similar rates and factors apply in Northern California.

I'd like to know where the $3000 comes from. I was told that there is no additional cost from the electric company (WE Energies) and I would be in change of contracting the electrical from the new meter to the garage.
I figured I would have the electrician's do it when hooking up the charging unit in the garage.

I am in PG&E territory and just switched to the E-9A TOU electric vehicle rate. If I charge at night at the off peak rate, it is less than 4 cents/kwh in the summer months (May through October) and less than 5 cents/kwh in the winter months (Nov through April). I have 42 solar panels on my house, so my daytime load is quite light and it keeps my bills in the first and second tiers most of the time. It goes higher when we have a bunch of cloudy days in a row in the winter and lower (sometimes negative) in the summer. We'll see what the E-9A rate and Tesla charging (just got my car on Sunday) do to my bill.

I'd like to know where the $3000 comes from. I was told that there is no additional cost from the electric company (WE Energies) and I would be in change of contracting the electrical from the new meter to the garage.
I figured I would have the electrician's do it when hooking up the charging unit in the garage.

Well, my conversation with the Southern California Edison rep confirmed some of the information I had read in another thread.

See this: http://www.evelectricity.com/evmeters/index.php

which is from this thread.
Dedicated EV Charging Meter

In that person's experience, they ended up paying about $2000, but everyone's house/situation is a bit different.

We-Energies does not care. They sell kWh. How we in Wisconsin use the power is not their concern.

SCE rates are quite expensive in So CA, but the TOU-D-EV plan is a good option for those who don't want to install a second meter and an upgraded panel. The super off-peak rate (midnight to 6am, year-round) is "reasonable" at $0.11/$0.17 for Tier 1/2, but be careful in the summer (6/1-10/1) when the Tier 2 peak rate (10am-5pm on weekdays) jumps from $0.27 in the winter to an astronomical $0.60 in the summer!!