Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you charge to 100%?

How often do you charge to 100%?

• Daily

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • 4x/year (on average)

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • 2x/year (on average)

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Once per year (on average)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Less than once per year or never

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if your daily driving needs can be met with that level of charge that's great but be aware that maintaining a very low SOC is detrimental to the battery as well.

Well that depends on what "very" low means. 20% isn't "very" low. I think tnt1971 is a little conservative if he only charges to 40%, the advantages of keeping it below 75% dwindle quickly. However, it certainly doesn't hurt and probably helps a smidge.

Now, if the suggestion was to only cycle between 25->5%, that's a different matter and would definitely not be recommended.

It all depends on your daily usage. My average daily usage is 20 miles. 40% battery is way more than I usually need. However, since "stuff happens" and I occasionally need to drive many more miles, I don't worry in at all about charging to 80% and holding it there. It's charging past 80 to 100% and holding that matters most.

-Jim

Several people have written that the size of the charge/discharge (i.e. 90-10 versus 90-70) is a very important, if not the most important factor in battery life. The chart does not bear that out because the smaller swings do not lead to more mileage out of the battery. As Dahl says in his talk, the SOC seems to be the most important factor (he also says temperature, which the chart kept constant). I will continue my practice of keeping the battery between 20% and 40% most of the time, with higher charges for trips.
Sounds like a huge pain to manage since you can't even set the charge level below 50%. Do you have to remember to check the app to stop charging at 40%?

Anyway sounds like a stressful way to own an EV...

Reactions: TexasEV
Sounds like a huge pain to manage since you can't even set the charge level below 50%. Do you have to remember to check the app to stop charging at 40%?

Anyway sounds like a stressful way to own an EV...

No, it is very simple. I charge at work, and I generally know the time I am going to leave. The charge rate is about 10% per hour, so I set the timer in the morning to start charging an hour before I intend on leaving. When I leave, I interrupt the charging usually between 35-40%. Worst case, I have the slider set to stop it at 50%. It is not normally plugged in overnight at home, and I rinse and repeat the next day. If I do more than 70 miles on the weekend, I give it a little boost at home.