Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is the 3 key app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you feel confident frequently talking the car out without the key card as a backup?

Without key card I would have been locked out on regular occasions and not been able to start car on another 2 or 3. I am sure former would have sorted itself if I had waited a minute or so, but not convinced that not starting car would have sorted itself - not being able to start the car occurred after supercharging - I believe that there is some timeout going on if you return to car and sit in it too long waiting for charge complete.

Mine was totally reliable for 2+ months up to 2019.36.2.4 then it went to pot. So it can change with a software update.

Last edited:
It depends on your phone. When I had a LG G4, it works maybe 80% of the time. But even if it does not work, I just have to open the app and it would connect. Once I switched to Pixel 3XL, it works about 99% of the time. But if It didn't work, just open the app. I have the key card in my wallet though just in case and for the valet.

Reactions: Adopado
I would certainly try it for a month or so with your phone in your situation, but should it prove reliable, of course you can leave your key card at home if you like that. It's not a big risk. Worst comes to worse...simply call your significant other to remotely unlock and start the car or find a mate that is willing to install the app on their phone, login as you, and do the same.

Another who doesn’t bother to carry the keycard and have never had any problems. As a backup I have the Tesla Remote app on my Apple Watch that can unlock and start the car. I think very worst case scenario you can ring Tesla roadside assistance and they can remotely do it too. If I used a wallet I’d probably keep it in there but stopped carrying one of them around many years ago

I -always- have a key card with me. Otherwise, would have been screwed several times for sure and some other times maybe. (Using an iPhone.) Don't get me wrong, it does mostly work when you include the times I have to start the app, as opposed to just having it in my pocket, but definitely not 100% even with that proviso. Several times the phone card programming was lost completely and I had to re-initialize the app with the card.