Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid a runaway condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my last point is if your wife or daughter was driving during an emergency condition, you all have instructed them on what they should do to avoid a catastrophe. If not, I guess this subject isn't really important to YOU.
Oh thank god there are men in this world to instruct women what to do. #eyeroll #Iguessyoudontcareaboutyourson

How about computer meltdown, I talking emergency. 100MPH and it goes in to neutral and slams on the brakes, what a ride that would be. Computer meltdown means all bets are off.
Computer meltdown probably means that nothing would work. Everything would stop.
Your hypothetical posits that the computer meltdown would leave the motor control circuits intact and functioning but disable everything else.
I think we've wasted enough time on this thread. If the car is "out of control", just press the brakes.
I talking sense.

homer_jump_the_shark1.gif

This is very much like a 20 year old debate that occurred when cars switched to PCMs and 'fly-by-wire' accelerators.

Truth is that prior to digital controls, runaway cars were a very real thing. Throttle plate could freeze, or be blocked from shutting, switches could fuse in the ON position, cables could seize or kink, etc.

Redundant sensors and 'dead man' powertrain control coding pretty much eliminated actual runaway in car. Bikes still can though.

Does anyone on here have a job or do they are they replying on company time? I own my own company and my family is important unlike yours obviously. Most of the replies so far have been from idiots that don't know much of anything so running their mouth is what they do. I'll get my question answered by someone with the authority to give an answer instead of asking the idiots on here. The Tesla forum sucks because of its members.

A little bit of critical thinking on your part might have led you to the conclusion that most Tesla owners are successful in their chosen field. Plenty of self-made wealth on this forum. I've found members to smart, funny, impassioned.

You show up and decide that only you are capable of thinking of the tough questions and only you care about your family. And you insult everyone. Shocker that you've received pushback.

Completely agree, the original person asked a reasonable question. We know that it was a reasonable question because there is an reasonable answer, which was given in post #2, which is where this thread should have ended, instead people decided to be rude / mean to the person who responded and then we got stuck in a cycle of garbage... Which basically included people with 1,000's of posts involved in name calling with a newish member. Wow, what a community.

I'd note that, reading through again, the first comment I can see that could be at all considered rude would be around #14, after the OP altered the original question to include the computer "melting down", losing the brakes and then being hacked. At that point, he was trying as hard as possible to posit a situation where the user has no possible controls of any kind(even though, given the mechanisms involved, the situation doesn't make sense).

Maybe that was an honest attempt to gather information on what the user can do. But it looks a heck of a lot like trying to set up a fatalist situation and then blame Tesla, specifically, for not being able to handle the impossible to handle event. I can't really blame people for coming to that conclusion, given the interaction involved.

I'm not up on all the latest vernacular, but I assume this what's meant by "mansplaining"? And also "Dadsplaining" in the context of the OP?
This isn't quite "mansplaining", just close to it. Thankfully Bonnie had a great response. Also I did not expect this thread to get so vitriolic and am glad the mods stepped in. The original post seemed genuinely worried and just in need of reassurance, so the wandering off that happened after was a surprise to me. I hope anyone reading this thread in the future takes away the key points: read the manual on any fly by wire car as this stuff isn't standard yet, and a Tesla can stop with ever more force than it can go. Seriously it's worth a try somewhere safe if you've never tried a full panic stop. It's crazy how fast modern cars can stop with a full application of the left pedal.