Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get people so street race you...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly you need to be at the right place and time. Evening/night hours, roads that are flat near popular hangout spots with lots of lights but not too much traffic etc. Look at the other guy, have music blaring, make your car jump a little while at the red. They will understand.

Street racing is dangerous and illegal of course so do be careful. Going to a track really is the best option. When I was young and dumb I played around with that game, but screw up and kill somebody, and you are looking at serious jail time. Plus living with your actions. If you do "race" then I highly recommend just little pulls up to 60 or so.

Mostly you need to be at the right place and time. Evening/night hours, roads that are flat near popular hangout spots with lots of lights but not too much traffic etc. Look at the other guy, have music blaring, make your car jump a little while at the red. They will understand.

Street racing is dangerous and illegal of course so do be careful. Going to a track really is the best option. When I was young and dumb I played around with that game, but screw up and kill somebody, and you are looking at serious jail time. Plus living with your actions. If you do "race" then I highly recommend just little pulls up to 60 or so.

This... YMMV :cool:

So how can I get people to street race me in the Tesla? In a normal car you could rev up the engine at a stoplight. But in the Tesla that obviously isn't an option. Combined with the fact that anyone who knows a lot about cars won't stoplight race against the Tesla because they know they will lose...

Any ideas?

Play some engine noise over the speakers?
Hand signals?
Roll down the windows and ask nicely?

Also before anyone gets angry I am talking about doing this in a different country to the USA so it's perfectly legal here. Obviously I don't want to condone anything illegal...

I got jumped by a BMW 3 Series today. He was trying to pass me on a highway on ramp and was already going 5 -10 mph faster than I was before I realized what he was doing but for some reason I stepped on it. By the time we reached the end of the ramp I was doing 85 mph and he had to be doing a 100+ mph. He had to brake hard though because the was a semi just ahead of us.

I got jumped by a BMW 3 Series today. He was trying to pass me on a highway on ramp and was already going 5 -10 mph faster than I was before I realized what he was doing but for some reason I stepped on it. By the time we reached the end of the ramp I was doing 85 mph and he had to be doing a 100+ mph. He had to brake hard though because the was a semi just ahead of us.

Yes, I know it was wrong but it was fun.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

What model was the BMW? M3? What trim is your Tesla?

M3 is the only one that would have a chance... how did you get smoked so badly?

I was making a right turn and was not expecting the guy to pull out around me. He was going quite a bit faster than I was before I realized what he was doing so a delayed response on my part. I will see the car again some day we live in the same area and I will find out what it was. It was probably an M3. I am not going to race him down the ramp again though as it was a bit dangerous.

Reactions: andrewxc
I was making a right turn and was not expecting the guy to pull out around me. He was going quite a bit faster than I was before I realized what he was doing so a delayed response on my part. I will see the car again some day we live in the same area and I will find out what it was. It was probably an M3. I am not going to race him down the ramp again though as it was a bit dangerous.

you might be able to take him from a standstill if he doesn't go through his whole launch mode/ power brake sequence since the Tesla just needs a stomp on the accelerator...
let us know if you get the chance!

Reactions: javadanno
I only have the basic of the basic package, so racing performance cars is out.
I will stomp occasionally and get the car up to my usual cruising speed, around town, though (5-10 over, depending on where), which is fun, even in Chill mode, because it takes most people by surprise.
And having near-zero reaction-loss on drive power is a plus.

Nothing can really keep up with an M3P until about 1/8 mile. Once you get about 70mph or so powerful ICE cars with gearing will start playing catch up.

I mean, there's certainly ICE cars that'll beat an M3P in the 1/8th mile (or 0-60) it's just that most of them cost a ton more money.

The 2020 C8 will be the only thing that's both (relatively) cost competitive and potentially faster (though it'll require a very good launch while the Tesla just goes)

I mean, there's certainly ICE cars that'll beat an M3P in the 1/8th mile (or 0-60) it's just that most of them cost a ton more money.

The 2020 C8 will be the only thing that's both (relatively) cost competitive and potentially faster (though it'll require a very good launch while the Tesla just goes)

It will also look and sound better doing it. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: focher and TyH2009
UPDATE - I finally found someone who kept trying to street race me in a Charger SRT8. Unfortunately I was literally on my way back from the race track with less than 10% battery left so I had to pretend I didn't see him... Bummer...

Then today I saw this CTS-V behind me and thought "Hey maybe that guy will street race me at this red light coming up" then totally unprompted this happened:

UPDATE - I finally found someone who kept trying to street race me in a Charger SRT8. Unfortunately I was literally on my way back from the race track with less than 10% battery left so I had to pretend I didn't see him... Bummer...

Then today I saw this CTS-V behind me and thought "Hey maybe that guy will street race me at this red light coming up" then totally unprompted this happened:

He must have really want to make that light. :confused: Too bad he over corrected and lost it. I wonder if he had stability control turned off.

:eek:
The perils of lifting. Looks like he unweighted the rear end to me. He was countersteering (after initially overcorrecting), but appeared to have no traction in the rear at all.

Guessing his wheels (and suspension, hubs, and bearings) are not in the best of condition.

It's good that he didn't hit the school bus. Or anyone else. Really lucky. :eek:

Last edited:
:eek:
The perils of lifting. Looks like he unweighted the rear end to me. He was countersteering (after initially overcorrecting), but appeared to have no traction in the rear at all.

Guessing his wheels (and suspension, hubs, and bearings) are not in the best of condition.

It's good that he didn't hit the school bus. Or anyone else. Really lucky. :eek:

Agreed. Those CTS-Vs are supercharged V8s with RWD only so if you don't respect the power the rear will get away from you real quick. The Stability Control in these cars is usually pretty good once the yaw sensor detects the rear slip angle it cuts power and individually applies brakes to the wheels that need it to keep it pointed straight. Looks like he may have been going too fast though for the system to save him.