Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get your Model 3 on jack stands without any special tools

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do some searches on this forum about stress fractures in the M3's roof.

Talking about FUD.

I've been jacking my TM3P for 3+ years. No stress fractures of any kind to speak of. Anywhere.
If the roof cracks, it wasn't installed/glued correctly. In that case, avoiding jacking the car by lifting points wont save you. You will crack it by just driving around.

Look up RemmStands too and then you will understand how to get the car up on jack stands.

No thanks, again.
Solution to a problem that doesn't exist, for me.

Well, there are a number of other people on here that think the opposite about jacking the car up on just one jack point.

Really?
Anyone of authority, or just some FUD victims?

Call Tesla and see what they say about it. Tesla recommends jacking both jack points on one side at the same time or use a lift.

FALSE.

I've just 2x checked my TM3 manual, and there absolutely are no recommendation w.r.t. to lifting by 2 jacking points.

Cheers!

Do some searches on this forum about stress fractures in the M3's roof. Look up RemmStands too and then you will understand how to get the car up on jack stands. As for Dolemite, you refuse to explain how you managed to damage your jack points, so no picts. It seems like you like to bad mouth the RemmStands, but have nothing to back it up. Well, there are a number of other people on here that think the opposite about jacking the car up on just one jack point. Call Tesla and see what they say about it. Tesla recommends jacking both jack points on one side at the same time or use a lift.
Yep that just happens to be one of my favorite pastimes - randomly bad-mouthing shitty products on here for my own benefit. It sounds like you’re either not using them as intended, or are failing to notice the damage. If you’re arguing that lifting by one jack point is detrimental, then I’m guessing it could be the former and you’ve schemed up some nonsensical way of lifting your car that basically nullifies any “benefit” of paying for these overpriced turds.

I have no dog in this game, just flying by, but I'm not sure why you are asking people to post pictures instead of just saying how they damaged your car (and perhaps posting pics yourself to backup your statement).
The only “how” is simply using them exactly as intended - you have a hard steel point with a relatively small surface area supporting a 4,000+ pound car by its soft, hollow aluminum jack points.

I’ve spent enough time on this and have other posts on here documenting my experience. There are also YouTube videos out there inadvertently proving my point.

So feel free to give them a shot - I’m beyond caring about convincing anyone on here they’re *sugar*.

The only “how” is simply using them exactly as intended - you have a hard steel point with a relatively small surface area supporting a 4,000+ pound car by its soft, hollow aluminum jack points.
My old car was 3100 lbs, it came with a 1500 lb scissor jack that I used multiple times. If the jack had to lift the whole weight of the car at once (instead of only a fraction) it would have broken a long time ago. I imagine the Rennstand like most modern jacks and stands would be rated way higher than an old scissor jack, and follow similar principles when you use them (in that it's never holding the load of the whole car).
I’ve spent enough time on this and have other posts on here documenting my experience. There are also YouTube videos out there inadvertently proving my point.

So feel free to give them a shot - I’m beyond caring about convincing anyone on here they’re *sugar*.
I googled Rennstand and looked at the negative reviews and nothing stood out about Teslas being a problem (only saw good reviews when it involved a Tesla). The only ones where the car gets damaged seems to be from using a jack with a smaller diameter pad than the stand was intended for (other negative reviews were related to clearance under the car making the stands incompatible). If you say nothing to describe what's actually wrong with them (or at least link a previous post), people will simply not believe you, but I guess you are ok with that.

Last edited:
Great post! Thanks for the info! I think that these jack stands would be better for this car than the ones we have. I haven't tried to put our Model 3 on jack stands yet (only had it for a week), but sometimes I do maintenance on our zero turn lawnmower with jack stands. Always block the tires that are still on the ground, just in case.

The above approach absolutely will work.
One suggestion - when lifting the second side of the car, to reduce the instability, use a 2" 2x4 instead of the hockey puck. Serves the same role, but also doubles as a stabilizing "shelf" to reduce "balancing" effect.

One alternative that I switched to a few years ago: Quickjack Portable Car Lift
I realize that it may not be for everyone, but man, it sure makes it easy (and less exciting) to wrench on the underside of all of your cars, including the Tesla:
@afadeev I got the 5000TL because it was on sale but it seems too short for the Model 3. QuickJack recommends the 600TLX for the Model 3. Have you gotten the 5000TL to work? If so, it would be a HUGE help to me if you told me how so I don't have to return this massive thing. Thanks!

@afadeev I got the 5000TL because it was on sale but it seems too short for the Model 3. QuickJack recommends the 600TLX for the Model 3. Have you gotten the 5000TL to work? If so, it would be a HUGE help to me if you told me how so I don't have to return this massive thing. Thanks!
I'm not afadeev, but while you wait for an answer have you seen if the jacks will work sideways in a perpendicular direction to the normal way?

I'm not afadeev, but while you wait for an answer have you seen if the jacks will work sideways in a perpendicular direction to the normal way?
That’s an interesting thought. I don’t think you’d be able to get to the safety latches without going under the car though. Costco accepted the return already so I’m just going to wobble it up the old fashioned way. Thanks though!

I've just looked for the labels on my QuickJack, and based on the label, it looks like mine is 5000SLX.
That thing works great on all my cars, including the minivan.

I am not how SLX model relates to the current model designations on Costco's web site that are listed as either 5000TL or 7000TL.
Assuming that the 5K vs. 7K refers to the lifting capacity, 5K should be plenty for Model 3.
If you go to QuickJack's own web site (Portable Car Lift for your Garage or Shop - QuickJack), there is a much wider assortment of models (TL, TLX, ELX, SLX, etc.). There, it appears the "X" name in the model may refer to the "extend 66" lift point reach".

Hope this helps:

1687648941744.png