Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Guide driving by my FSD Beta Model Y (2023 LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ProtonopeSJ

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2023
Saint John NB
My car just got its first FSD Beta installed V11.3.6. I have NEVER driven with FSD Beta. I'm interested to know how I can guide the car without disabling my software's ability to otherwise be controlling the car. For example, can I use turn signals to cause a SAFE lane change - ie only if nothing threatening to make the change unsafe. I assume I can use the right thumbwheel to adjust speed. My main question is how driver initiated turn signals interact with FSD. My first question was about lane changes. Can you also force route changes? Thanks for any help you can offer. Anything else I should know?

Yes to all. But be aware that if you change lanes via the turn signal, FSDb may choose to change right back.

There is a "don't change lanes except those needed to navigate" bit it's not "sticky" - it needs to be set every time you engage FSD if you want to make maximum lane changing decisions.

Some have reported non-Nav related lane changes with this on but it's worked well for me.

Reactions: ProtonopeSJ
You can initiate lane changes while using FSD Beta, but you can’t initiate turns or deviate from the route unless you disengage FSD.
Kind of true.

I use waypoints to force routes at times (deleting the waypoint before I hit it) or just cancel my route and put it in again further down the route to select the path I want. I don't disengage Beta for either of those.

Last edited: