Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD 11.3.6 out of Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is FSD v11.3.6 out of "Beta" status? In other words, if I turn off the "FSD Beta" button and let my car update to the latest firmware, will I get like firmware version 2023.20.8 with FSD v11.3.6. I ask because there seems to be a lot of cars on Teslafi on version 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 - far more than traditionally have been shown on versions of the firmware on folks with the Beta button enabled.

• Funny
Reactions: E90alex and KArnold
Is FSD v11.3.6 out of "Beta" status? In other words, if I turn off the "FSD Beta" button and let my car update to the latest firmware, will I get like firmware version 2023.20.8 with FSD v11.3.6. I ask because there seems to be a lot of cars on Teslafi on version 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 - far more than traditionally have been shown on versions of the firmware on folks with the Beta button enabled.

No, I do not think 11.3.6 is out of beta. I don't think any FSD is out of beta yet. If more people are getting it, it is simply because Tesla is expanding who gets FSD Beta. FSD beta is going wide now but it is still "beta".

...I ask because there seems to be a lot of cars on Teslafi on version 2023.20.7 and 2023.20.8 - far more than traditionally have been shown on versions of the firmware on folks with the Beta button enabled.
Likely FSD Beta will be included in (almost) ALL software going forward. This way if someone subscribes or buys they can have FSD Beta right away and not need to wait on a different software version to download.

11.4.4 certainly isn’t out of beta, so why would 11.3.6?
Hell Autosteer is still in Beta and in all likelihood the stack is legacy and will be replaced in a year or so. Also just about everything is still in Beta. So the FSD coming out of Beta was just Elon's disconnected mouth at work.

IMG_0113D.jpeg

FSD beta 11.3.6 is still considered "Early Access" and is not, technically, a released product. You can tell this is so by going to the data sharing configuration. If you have FSD beta enabled, you will NOT be able to turn off data sharing. This is because data a sharing is a condition of access to FSD beta. If you disable FSD beta and switch to Navigate on Autopilot, which is shown as beta, but not early access, you CAN turn off data sharing.

Another indication that FSD beta is still in Early Access is the strike policy is still in effect. If you get too many strikes for not paying attention, or using a cell phone while driving, Tesla will disable FSD beta for a week. If you do these things while on NOA, you only lose NOA for the rest of that drive.

Of course, despite it's ready access, FSD beta still has many faults, so using it still requires constant vigilance. I believe that there are still many warnings presented when the software is enabled that should be read carefully.

The thing is that TACC, Autosteer, Autopilot and everything else automated is still tagged as "beta" by Tesla.
Judging by the way that every new release is showing up with 11.3.6 included I would say the "early access" phase has long gone for this release.
I think Tesla have shifted so that FSD now shares the same "beta" level as Autopilot.

That doesn't seem to apply to 11.4.x though. That seems to be on its own branch deliberately (justifiably so)

Reactions: Goose66
The thing is that TACC, Autosteer, Autopilot and everything else automated is still tagged as "beta" by Tesla.
Judging by the way that every new release is showing up with 11.3.6 included I would say the "early access" phase has long gone for this release.
I think Tesla have shifted so that FSD now shares the same "beta" level as Autopilot.

That doesn't seem to apply to 11.4.x though. That seems to be on its own branch deliberately (justifiably so)
On 2023.20.7 (FSD 11.3.6), when you enable FSD beta, the very first sentence in the long warning message states that it is in 'limited early access beta'.

Reactions: TresLA
Evidently many didn’t read beyond “beta” (note the quotes). The specific question was will a firmware version with 11.3.6 run FSD on a car without the “Beta” firmware button turned on?
With software version 2023.20.7, to run FSD beta, you MUST tap on the FSD beta button in the Autopilot menu and consent to the screen full of dire warnings. If you do not do this, the car will NOT run the 11.3.6 Autosteer on City Streets (FSD beta) software.

So, if you do not wish to use FSD beta, you can still use the old basic AP or NOA, as you wish.

• Informative
With software version 2023.20.7, to run FSD beta, you MUST tap on the FSD beta button in the Autopilot menu and consent to the screen full of dire warnings. If you do not do this, the car will NOT run the 11.3.6 Autosteer on City Streets (FSD beta) software.

So, if you do not wish to use FSD beta, you can still use the old basic AP or NOA, as you wish.
Thats just the same as the dire warnings when you enable AP for the first time - which is also beta but available to anyone who wants it.
It's difficult to call it "limited access" when >65% of the fleet already has the software installed and just needs to pay the subscription to get access.
[edit]
Checking TeslaFi - the part of the fleet that isn't FSD capable amounts to <15%
All the rest have some version of FSD installed. That doesn't mean it's paid for, but the software is just there waiting.
Definitely not "limited access" :cool:

Last edited:
I wasn’t really interested in the status (technical or perceived) of FSDb 11.3.6. Just wanting to know if unclicking “Beta” button would allow the firmware 2023.20.8 to download to my car and I still had FSDb 11.3.6 available (as opposed to 20237.20 with 11.4.4 I have now). Sounds like if I did that I would have to reclick Beta to get FSDb back.

Thats just the same as the dire warnings when you enable AP for the first time - which is also beta but available to anyone who wants it.
It's difficult to call it "limited access" when >65% of the fleet already has the software installed and just needs to pay the subscription to get access.
[edit]
Checking TeslaFi - the part of the fleet that isn't FSD capable amounts to <15%
All the rest have some version of FSD installed. That doesn't mean it's paid for, but the software is just there waiting.
Definitely not "limited access" :cool:
Regardless of whether one person or another “feels” like it’s beta or “limited access”, Tesla (like any other software developer) has designated certain software features beta, others not, and others “limited early access”. The dire warnings are different. It’s the verbiage they’ve designated. For example, FSD beta is not alpha, even though some have argued they feel like it is.

I wasn’t really interested in the status (technical or perceived) of FSDb 11.3.6. Just wanting to know if unclicking “Beta” button would allow the firmware 2023.20.8 to download to my car and I still had FSDb 11.3.6 available (as opposed to 20237.20 with 11.4.4 I have now). Sounds like if I did that I would have to reclick Beta to get FSDb back.
OK, so if I understand, you want to know if you can move from the development software branch to the production branch by simply disabling FSD beta (unclicking the "Beta" button, whatever that is supposed to be)?

Nope.

But give it try, anyway and find out.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
No you will still remain on 2023.7.20 because that includes a newer FSD beta version. Even if you turn off FSD beta, it’s still built into the firmware and cannot be downgraded.

There are basically still two software “tracks”. The original FSD beta track which includes FSD beta 11.4.X currently, and the regular public release track that normally does not include any FSD beta software but Tesla has been including 11.3.X in it recently.

It can depend on how you purchased FSD.
If you're on the monthly subscription, others have reported being able to cancel the FSD subscription and being able to get the latest software release.
However, if you paid upfront then you're stuck where you are.

• Informative
Guys, I am a FSD subscriber and running 26.1/11.3.6. Today there is an upgrade waiting to 26.7/11.3.6. There have been some FSD issues, good and bad. How do I get to 11.4.x? When you talk FADb and a button on the screen, what do you mean?

Guys, I am a FSD subscriber and running 26.1/11.3.6. Today there is an upgrade waiting to 26.7/11.3.6. There have been some FSD issues, good and bad. How do I get to 11.4.x? When you talk FADb and a button on the screen, what do you mean?
You can't. It is purposely kept on an older software version since it is not a stable Beta version yet. We ae all hoping for 11.4.7 to be released and turn out to be stable. Then it can be moved to the main/newer branch software.

I stuck in the opposite. I'm on 11.4.4 and wish I could find a way to get moved to the new software branch and the MUCH more stable 11.3.6.