Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Tell if MS has Autopilot Hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for used 2014 MS and would like to know if there is a way to easily tell if the vehicle has AP hardware from the online listings? Is there a certain VIN# that delineates having or not having the AP hardware? TIA

It's usually around 55K, but I have seen them as low as 49K. It more matters when the car was built. Just ask for the little square in the front grill. However keep in mind that if you look on the CPO website and it's not listed but has it Tesla MIGHT charge you $3K to activate it. So if you find one make sure you ask if it's activated or and what the charge if it it's not.

e6afFwF.jpg

It's the middle "radar square". (all that other stuff is add on's)

I am looking for used 2014 MS and would like to know if there is a way to easily tell if the vehicle has AP hardware from the online listings? Is there a certain VIN# that delineates having or not having the AP hardware? TIA

Most folks listing cars take pictures of the wheels to show there's no curb rash. These pictures often show the wheel well as well as the wheel itself. An AP car has Ultrasound right in front of the front wheels and right behind the rear ones - the little circular sensors should be visible in the pictures on an AP car.

The front camera and radar are also visible, though they might not be in the typical set of pictures.

Autopilot (see the color matched circle in front of the wheel?):
24.jpg

No Autopilot:

353f17c5b393d982275c771aee6.jpg

Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: thegooch49
Use Hanks site to search for cars with AP, it's easier than Tesla's CPO site.

http://ev-cpo.com/

But if he is looking at pictures from the CPO website it isn't really a picture of the car, its just a CGI equivalent.

Only a non CPO might have real pictures.

And Hanks CPO consolidator won't tell you if the car has the hardware, it will only tell you if the prior owner paid for AP or the service center has already enabled AP, it won't show you cars marked in any way that "have AP hardware, but haven't had AP enabled". They'll just look like non AP cars on the list.