Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell whether used MX has unlimited supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone... I posted this on the Tesla subreddit, but figured I would ask here as well.

Long time lurker, close to first time buyer! A dealership in my area has a used MX (trade in I assume) with a recent-ish build (3/17) and I was wondering if there's a way to check whether this car has unlimited supercharging. I saw somewhere that Tesla extended the unlimited supercharging to orders placed after 1/15/17, but I'm unsure whether it would transfer to me as a second buyer.

Does anyone have any idea whether I would get unlimited supercharging as the second buyer? If I wouldn't, do you think that's something I could use to haggle the price down considering 1) It actually does lower the value of the vehicle, IMO and 2) This is a regular car dealership, they probably have less knowledge about Teslas and thus, could use it to my advantage in negotiating?

Thanks in advance!

I was planning on bringing up the tax credit as well, because even if the first owner didn't use it, I'm pretty sure the credit isn't good for subsequent buyers. I'm hoping to get the dealer to take a straight $7,500 off the price to cover that... I have an email out to Tesla with the VIN of the car, so if it doesn't have supercharging, that's another thing I'll ask to have the price reflected for.

Hoping it does have supercharging, though, as I routinely have to make a 300+ mile trip for work and eventually the free miles would get used up and I'd have to pay for charging.

I was planning on bringing up the tax credit as well, because even if the first owner didn't use it, I'm pretty sure the credit isn't good for subsequent buyers. I'm hoping to get the dealer to take a straight $7,500 off the price to cover that... I have an email out to Tesla with the VIN of the car, so if it doesn't have supercharging, that's another thing I'll ask to have the price reflected for.

Hoping it does have supercharging, though, as I routinely have to make a 300+ mile trip for work and eventually the free miles would get used up and I'd have to pay for charging.
Also, if the car was built 3/17, there's a chance it was ordered before 1/15/17, right?

Also, if the car was built 3/17, there's a chance it was ordered before 1/15/17, right?

There's so many combinations at this point it's tough to tell. Especially when taking into account cars in inventory that weren't yet sold, etc. A lot of the extended cars received unlimited free supercharging, but it didn't transfer to the 2nd owner. The original free unlimited supercharging cars do transfer to the new owner though.

Don't take the chance, just place a call to Tesla. They'll be able to confirm for you over the phone with the VIN. If you buy the car, you'll have to call them eventually to get your account created and the car transferred under your name.