Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to turn on ambient interior lighting without the Premium Upgrades Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people with know-how, it would be a relatively easy thing to hardwire.
For most of the regular gas cars, you can hardwire some aftermarket led lighting just by hardwire to the headlight cables, which whenever you turn on the headlights, it will be on. I would think it will work this way. But, Tesla is a Tesla.

IMG_20161105_153246-01.jpeg
IMG_20161105_153232-01.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Rossy and timx
Someone brave enough to take the doors covers off! Do you have PUP and have you been able to isolate the LED strip wiring?

Thanks for sharing!
I do not have PUP, also have standard audio. There are multiple strips each with its own harness. One strip goes separately to the door module above the speaker and the rest are wired in parallel..This way one strip only lights up when the door is opened or maybe when the car is parked. Comparing it to the premium model doors which I also removed, wires are the same. It's all software controlled.
1st door is a 90D, PUP, ultra high fidelity sound
2nd door is a 69D, non-PUP, standard audio system

The harness on the doorcard that plugs into the door module is the same--shape and wire colors. I didn't have both cars at the same time to swap door cards to confirm if everything works the same (I.e. swapping a non-PUP door card onto a PUP car)

I ordered some DC DC converters to grab a 12v switched power so the LEDs can be on when the cat is on. Haven't installed it yet.

EDIT, 60D, not 69D huehuehue. Car, not cat.

Attachments

• IMG_20161104_121006-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20161104_121006-01-01.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_20161105_152431-01.jpeg
    IMG_20161105_152431-01.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 385
I do not have PUP, also have standard audio. There are multiple strips each with its own harness. One strip goes separately to the door module above the speaker and the rest are wired in parallel..This way one strip only lights up when the door is opened or maybe when the car is parked. Comparing it to the premium model doors which I also removed, wires are the same. It's all software controlled.

The harness on the doorcard that plugs into the door module is the same--shape and wire colors. I didn't have both cars at the same time to swap door cards to confirm if everything works the same (I.e. swapping a non-PUP door card onto a PUP car)

I ordered some DC DC converters to grab a 12v switched power so the LEDs can be on when the cat is on. Haven't installed it yet.

Awesome stuff! If you could put a step-by-step guide for this with a part list for the converters you are using, you'd be my personal hero!

Thank you, sir!

Reactions: Rossy

I have same situation. May I know if it works?

Have you able to get this working yet?

For builds July 2017 and after. Not sure they were going to retro it. Just like the tow package became standard, didn’t mean everyone before got a free tow package.
I inquired at a local Svc Ctr about the option to enable it and the cost last year. The respose was basically "you got what you paid for at the time and we can't change it"
I emailed the suggestion through the exec escalation to offer these types of software upgrades piecemeal for those that didn't buy them initially as part of a package. Things like ambient lighting, auto-presenting doors, bioweapon defence mode for AC. It would create a nice revenue stream for Tesla at minimal cost....