Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does phone key work compared to the old key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bringing this thread back. I'm considering getting a key fob for the convenience sake. Not sure how eeryone feels. Is it much more convenient? My beef is when I need to unlock the car, or open the trunk etc.. I pull out the phone, unlock, go to Tesla app... wait like 15-30 seconds for the app to connect, then click on unlock frunk/trunk, or wingdoor. I am hoping with the fob I can elimintate some steps and just grab the key and hit whatever I need to open before I get close to my car.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Smh2210
Very timely on a few fronts. I found the phone did exactly as your describe and become very inconvenient to use. I purchased a fob, and found it more convenient but with much less range and walk away lock not always working. Although, I love having the fob again, I do use the phone when I need to make a quick run and cannot bother putting it in my pocket. In terms of operation, my 2020 X fob was flawless walk away here the beep and all good. This 2023 X fob sometimes does not lock, so I press the fob rook to lock. Also, walking to the car the new fob has me me right on top of the car before lights on and unlocks. The fob is only 3 months old, and now getting dead fob battery warning, Stay tuned and thanks for resurrecting this discussion.

Reactions: RNHurt
Another point. I’ve had the model 3 key fob since it came out in 2018?.. My wife uses it more than I do. It IS nice to have easy access to frunk/trunk just with the key but I normally just have the phone with me so that’s all I need. Haven’t replaced the battery now in ~ 5+ years? So, YMMV.

Just curious…. Why do you need things opened from afar?
Wife & Kids. For example, I'm carrying the groceries and family is running towards the car so they can get a head start to get into the car while I'm putting the grocery away. I understand with the phone I can do it afar and still achieve the same result but my issue is getting the phone out, swipe my app, wait few seconds for the app to connect (sometimes it doesn't because it's underground), then open the door.

There are times I wish to go back to the traditional method to just get my key and open the doors, which I think the keyfob is beneficial.

Wife & Kids. For example, I'm carrying the groceries and family is running towards the car so they can get a head start to get into the car while I'm putting the grocery away. I understand with the phone I can do it afar and still achieve the same result but my issue is getting the phone out, swipe my app, wait few seconds for the app to connect (sometimes it doesn't because it's underground), then open the door.

There are times I wish to go back to the traditional method to just get my key and open the doors, which I think the keyfob is beneficial.
This is the part I don't understand. I don't have to go to the app. It's always on my notification bar. I just swipe down, pick open trunk and it's open. No fuss, no muss.

Bringing this thread back. I'm considering getting a key fob for the convenience sake. Not sure how eeryone feels. Is it much more convenient? My beef is when I need to unlock the car, or open the trunk etc.. I pull out the phone, unlock, go to Tesla app... wait like 15-30 seconds for the app to connect, then click on unlock frunk/trunk, or wingdoor. I am hoping with the fob I can elimintate some steps and just grab the key and hit whatever I need to open before I get close to my car.

Thoughts?

You don't need to wait for the app to connect before pressing a button. That loading is for the internet-based connection to get the car's status but if you are within Bluetooth range the commands will work over Bluetooth immediately.

If your app isn't connecting over Bluetooth and must send the commands over the internet, I think the fob isn't going to help much there.

Reactions: moojimmy

You know if one uses an iphone, setup a widget and even on the Lock Screen just swipe right, tap open FRUNK, unlock, battery door,, and some other options that can be set in the app. No need to unlock the phone and go into the app.

iPhone 15 Pro and Apple Watch Ultra also have programmable "action" physical buttons that you can just program to press and unlock the car

• Informative

Thoughts?
We have 2 Teslas and have fobs for each. Personally. sometimes I do not carry my phone with me but I always take my keys to get back in the house.

We have 2 Teslas and have fobs for each. Personally. sometimes I do not carry my phone with me but I always take my keys to get back in the house.
Same 2 Teslas, fobs. Also Apple Watch (which also serves as a key for the car). Phone (and watch) always works. Phone is also the key to our house (Apple HomeKey). We have not carried keys, including fobs, in years.

Since I always have my iPhone with me this simplifies my life (I don’t have any keys) and up to now with my ‘23 I have not had any issues. I keep my phone in my back pocket and when I am carrying something I just turn around for it to connect then the X presents the door. I wish they would get vision worked out for the door opening but it’s ok. Have not felt the need for a FOB, I use the card for valet but try to avoid doing that :).

Reactions: Smh2210
Since I always have my iPhone with me this simplifies my life (I don’t have any keys) and up to now with my ‘23 I have not had any issues. I keep my phone in my back pocket and when I am carrying something I just turn around for it to connect then the X presents the door. I wish they would get vision worked out for the door opening but it’s ok. Have not felt the need for a FOB, I use the card for valet but try to avoid doing that :).
Agree on the non-presenting doors. It feels like it fights me to open. lol