Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you pay for your new model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm shocked so many are financing. I assumed many would be leasing since battery tech is still new. I'm still undecided myself but i will drop probably close to $20,000 down. I'll get a rebate cheque for $14,000 from the Ontario gov't for getting an EV which is pretty awesome and generous.

If that credit is still around 3 years after the Model 3 is out i may opt to get a newer Model 3 or Y in that time. (hence why i may opt to lease first and then buy/finance another Model 3 or Y then.

Reactions: mistermonty705
i'm shocked so many are financing. I assumed many would be leasing since battery tech is still new. I'm still undecided myself but i will drop probably close to $20,000 down. I'll get a rebate cheque for $14,000 from the Ontario gov't for getting an EV which is pretty awesome and generous.

If that credit is still around 3 years after the Model 3 is out i may opt to get a newer Model 3 or Y in that time. (hence why i may opt to lease first and then buy/finance another Model 3 or Y then.

ditto

im definitely leasing and then purchasing a newer tesla once my lease is over.

I will be leasing. I have a Model S now that I lease. The reason for the lease is not business but technology. The technology is changing so fast in three years more hardware might be required for software updates. I am concerned that the hardware could not be retrofitted. So for me this is why I will lease

Lithium ion tech is pretty new, and specifically how Tesla uses lithium ion batteries has been well-proven from the Model S.

I don't think a single EV has battery issues, outside of Leafs having capacity loss issues due to no liquid temperature cooling system. It's certainly more reliable than ICEs.

Me personally, I'll be financing. I'm sure the tech will improve substantially in three years, but I want to own a piece of history. Only thing that may make me reconsider is if the autopilot tech won't be up to Elon's promises and may require an additional refresh for full autonomy in the future.

I expect that if the Base is reasonable, I'll purchase:
Base: I'm not intending to buy extra range. If I feel that it needs it, I'll look at long-range alternatives anyway.
+ Subzero: it gets cold here
+ Enable Supercharging: because I want to be able to use it
+ Enable Autopilot: the last is a "toy" that will come from my "pocket money", rather than my car money.
The exception would be if the base is $35k, but spending more would be paid for by the tax credit, and not spending more would miss out on the tax credit.

(We've lived without AWD so far. Snow tires should be good enough.)

Reactions: EcoHeliGuy
OK, so I was think how everyone will pay for the car. Cash? lease? Loan?
I was always in the frame of mind I would never buy a new car due to initial cost and depreciation. However with the model 3 things are different (for me at least) I do around 70k miles a year so the car will almost pay for its self in a year or so (fuel is around $7 dollars a gallon here in the UK) leasing is out of the question for me due to the high mileage.
Cash

h
Well shut my mouth... I think I just became a Kathleen Wynne supporter, and isn't that a concerning thought lol. Seriously though that's wonderful news!! It's great to see a real push being made for the adoption of sustainable transport and renewable energy
ahaha I'm so glad we made your day. Now you can even highly option your car. Aim for the sky :).

It will all depend on what the banks are offering when I "build" my car and have to make the decision. I like the idea of leasing with the thought of upgrading in 3 years. However, my 8 year old daughter is already trying to convince to buy it because she wants me to give it to her when she turns 16...