Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S?

How would you rate the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my vote of "4" in. After the ride today, I figure I have the cred.

Why not a 5? It's a version 1.0, and it will have bugs. I fully expect this, and I'm ready to handle them. But, holy crap, this is a solid, solid, solid machine for a version 1.0 of a... uh.... anything.

If there were a few more features to go head-to-head with similar sized performance sedans (lane change warnings, auto-stop for safety, etc), then I'd give the 5. I get that Tesla had to make choices - reasoned compromises - to get the performance and price to balance, and that's perfect. Tesla is doing the job right. I'm giving honest feedback to further the development, further the advances, and keep the momentum going.

I'm so ready to be an owner now. So ready...

@Andy - Something about your post's closing reminded me of parents wanting to adopt a Tesla baby.

You mean this one? Literally speaking?! ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342936471.434001.jpg

When you say "beat most sports cars" are you talking about 0-60?

Listen my biggest problem is this.... In all the promotional videos leading up to the Model S release, Elon, George, Franz etc kept tabbing this car as the "best on the planet." I know there are different definitions of "best on the planet" but come on. ...

What Elon really means is that the Model S is the best car (sedan) in every dimension that matters, whether it's performance, safety, handling, technology, interface.... He did not mention luxury. Because that doesn't really matter, at least to me.

I would say we should cut them some slack on the early comments of 'best car in the world'. Have they repeated that line since the October event? I think the car speaks for itself now. Even if it had everything people wanted there still would be someone wanted ivory trim or something and not consider it the best car in the world. I agree they seem to have hit all the marks that matter to me at least. I like a nice interior as well but it doesn't have to be amazing. It's the driving and the tech toys that matter more for me. The interior is probably one of the easier things for them to improve down the road as well.

Last edited:
The link in medved's post (which he partially quoted) is from the "Founders 3-10" event in June...

Ok. Even then, maybe they should say 'one of the best cars in the world' but the reviews so far have really positive and largely backup up this claim. Is it the best car in the world? Probably not but that's subjective anyway and maybe it's the best car in the world to the people working on it at Tesla. Anyone who buys any product with this kind of claim without doing research themselves will probably be very disappointed with many of their purschases.

After yesterday's test drive I give it a solid "4". My 9-year old daughter noticed the lack of cupholders and pockets in the rear seats. Also, there were minor rear seat belt issues that were previously reported.

True Peter, but again still subjective...the Roadster is the first EV that was capable of meeting my requirements :wink:

Everyone in different, and for some neither vehicle meets their requirements. But my statement; "The Model S is the first Electric Vehicle that is capable of meeting OUR requirements."
That is a statement of fact, as it refers to us not anyone else.

Unless, of course, you can point out another production EV that can go 300miles (480km) on a charge with room for the dogs.

@dsm - I agree with your point. I was just observing that they're still saying it.

Thanks for pointing out they are still saying that. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with the point as well. They probably should tone it down but they're probably really proud of what they've done and can't contain their excitement. Hopefully people agree when they get their car.

When I hear Elon say things like "best car", I hear the voice of a proud parent. "My little Johnny is the best piano player!" Everyone smiles and nods. What's amazing is that the Model S is ready to play at Carnegie Hall (figuratively) -- maybe not "best," but certainly "world class." Not bad for the new kid on the block.

Came up with another signature star rating. :eek: Relax, NO animation this time. :)

To change the number of stars just change the last digit of the image to the number of stars you want. For example if you want 5 stars for the image rating_301.png, change it to rating_305.png

HTML:
[URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9105-How-would-you-rate-the-Model-S"][IMG]http://teslamotors.me/rating/images/rating_301.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
When I hear Elon say things like "best car", I hear the voice of a proud parent. "My little Johnny is the best piano player!" Everyone smiles and nods. What's amazing is that the Model S is ready to play at Carnegie Hall (figuratively) -- maybe not "best," but certainly "world class." Not bad for the new kid on the block.

They are not the new kid on the block; they came out with a car 4 years ago, that a lot of us bought.

I would say we should cut them some slack on the early comments of 'best car in the world'. Have they repeated that line since the October event? I think the car speaks for itself now. Even if it had everything people wanted there still would be someone wanted ivory trim or something and not consider it the best car in the world. I agree they seem to have hit all the marks that matter to me at least. I like a nice interior as well but it doesn't have to be amazing. It's the driving and the tech toys that matter more for me. The interior is probably one of the easier things for them to improve down the road as well.

So basically, you take them not repeating it as them admitting defeat that the Model S is not the best car in the world? When I hear "best" that immediately is a red flag that a company is using gimmicks to try to attract customers. I can understand best being used in a non specific sense, but no company will ever say best car in the world (except maybe Rolls-Royce who will remark "More then Adequate" when asked about the specs of their car).....

I guess they repeated it at the June event. Anyway, don't see much utility about arguing about the best car in the world comment. Some of the auto journalists have said they may have come close. Saying you're the best at something and coming close to delivering is probably better than saying 'Yeah, we're ok. Buy our car'.

Even if they stopped saying it, I would take it more as now that the car is here, we'll let it speak for itself.

Last edited: