Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC with 3-Phase Fly Lead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm thinking about installing a 3ph lead and plug into my HPWC so it can be portable and not hardwired into my house. The installation manual shows 2 ways to wire in 3ph power, and I'm trying to figure out which configuration I'd prefer.

My question really boils down to this: How much power (kW) can you get from 20A when using the 4-wire configuration? (See pic). My 3ph ohm's law knowledge is not strong. Running L3 to neutral has confused me.

I understand the 5-wire config, but I think it would be advantageous to have a 4-pin plug on it, so it's compatible with 4 and 5-pin sockets.

If someone can please explain the calculation to me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• HPWC 4pin 3ph.PNG
    HPWC 4pin 3ph.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 95
Sorry; who in Tesla said that?

The "Inside Sales Supervisor" that I usually deal with. I don't think they like their names given out, but this is what he said over 2 emails:

"I double checked with our charging manager and he confirmed that the wall connector cannot be installed without a neutral."
"I double checked with the charging manager again and he said that they’ve requested it to be removed for our version as that set up is designed for European 3-phase installs and won’t work in Australia but head office want to keep it in there for some reason."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Techno-phile
The fundamental reason that the diagram posted by the OP doesn't work in Australia is that it requires a 230V Delta grid supply. AFAIK, all the 3-phase in Australia is 230Y400V, with some additional tolerance to 240Y415V. If you were to wire according to the diagram you would see 400-415V between the L1 / L2 / L3, not the 230V shown in the diagram. The Wye grid in Australia is 230-240V from Line to Neutral.

The fundamental reason that the diagram posted by the OP doesn't work in Australia is that it requires a 230V Delta grid supply. AFAIK, all the 3-phase in Australia is 230Y400V, with some additional tolerance to 240Y415V. If you were to wire according to the diagram you would see 400-415V between the L1 / L2 / L3, not the 230V shown in the diagram. The Wye grid in Australia is 230-240V from Line to Neutral.

Ah that makes sense! ..I assume.. haha I suspected the reason would be something like this, but I just don't know enough about it. It's hard to google something if you don't know what you're looking for. Thanks!

What are the benefits?

As @Hairyman says the cable hangs down at a more natural angle. Secondly the angled plug is more like a pistol grip that makes it easier to push in and remove from 3 phase outlets without putting stress on the equipment, especially some of the older outlets that are becoming fragile, and thirdly they line up instantly with the key way.

As @Hairyman says the cable hangs down at a more natural angle. Secondly the angled plug is more like a pistol grip that makes it easier to push in and remove from 3 phase outlets without putting stress on the equipment, especially some of the older outlets that are becoming fragile, and thirdly they line up instantly with the key way.
Thanks. Presumably the same benefits would apply if one was to install a heavy duty 3 pin, 32amp single phase tail?

Is 32amp singe phase common enough to bother with? I'm not sure I've ever seen one in real life. I figure I'll have most situations covered with the 10 & 15amp UMC + HPWC with 5-pin 20amp + 20 to 32amp adapter.
Wired mine up today, had already ordered a 32amp plug because that’s what we have and as I’d seen on most PlugShare outlets over this way. Rotary switch set for 20amp anyway (ran 75km/hr - noice). I might split the cable with 20amp p/s and hope I don’t get audited by the AS police.