Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HTF Tesla can charge me for sitting too long in a supercharger stall...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and not charge ICErs? I wonder if we can just not pay super charger idle fees if we don't feel like it. I mean if Tesla does't own the stall etc. This is crap. Tesla should make an example of the group ICE stall fiasco. Their license plates is all they would need. Geeze an hour or so of idle fees and a court appearance would truly be the way to stop this crap. Childish behavior stops when it costs them $. I'm sure many owners experiencing such an event would be willing to witness what ever time Tesla chose to base their charges on. If I'm on a trip I don't have time for this type of behavior.

And if Tesla does't do anything we should refuse to pay idle fees. I mean what right do they have to charge us? The argument they might use to ignore the ICErs would probably apply to us.

I think a Trump approach might be appealing to some Tesla owners. I think he'd suggest that snipping their valve stems on a couple of tires to address this. But that might start a war with them. Oh yea it's already started. Perhaps a champaign to install cameras at all Superchargers would help for security and enforcement. I'd participate in a Go Fund me for this. Perhaps hired "hit man" group that would punch these guys in the face when they return to their truck. My experience has me thinking that it would probably be a group of hit women. My wife gets really aggressive about parking and I'd probably have to hold her back anyway.

Ok I apologize for the childish tirade. I won't stoop to their level of immaturity but I have thought someone should do it every time.

Interesting that I've never been ICEd. YET

Tesla can charge you, because you should know better and you should understand the reasoning behind it.

They can't charge other cars, because there is really no mechanism to do so. Simple trespass is about all they would have, and in many situations, such as public lots, they don't even have that. They also can't charge a Tesla if it unplugs and sits in the spot.

They shouldn't charge if the site is less than 50% utilized. (Mistakes do occur, they are lenient in these cases).
It sounds as if, since you are bitching so loudly, that not only did you go over the limit, you went over it by a BIG number. And you probably even have free charging to begin with.

and not charge ICErs? I wonder if we can just not pay super charger idle fees if we don't feel like it. I mean if Tesla does't own the stall etc. This is crap. Tesla should make an example of the group ICE stall fiasco. Their license plates is all they would need. Geeze an hour or so of idle fees and a court appearance would truly be the way to stop this crap. Childish behavior stops when it costs them $. I'm sure many owners experiencing such an event would be willing to witness what ever time Tesla chose to base their charges on. If I'm on a trip I don't have time for this type of behavior.

And if Tesla does't do anything we should refuse to pay idle fees. I mean what right do they have to charge us? The argument they might use to ignore the ICErs would probably apply to us.

I think a Trump approach might be appealing to some Tesla owners. I think he'd suggest that snipping their valve stems on a couple of tires to address this. But that might start a war with them. Oh yea it's already started. Perhaps a champaign to install cameras at all Superchargers would help for security and enforcement. I'd participate in a Go Fund me for this. Perhaps hired "hit man" group that would punch these guys in the face when they return to their truck. My experience has me thinking that it would probably be a group of hit women. My wife gets really aggressive about parking and I'd probably have to hold her back anyway.

Ok I apologize for the childish tirade. I won't stoop to their level of immaturity but I have thought someone should do it every time.

Interesting that I've never been ICEd. YET
Tesla does not own the charging spots, the property owner does. The property owners do not want to have the cars towed and will not allow it. The people parked there are their customers. Often Tesla owners are not their customers. There is no "enforcement" possible, because no laws are being broken. In most cases, there are not even any rules being broken, since the property owner usually insists that at least some of the parking spots allow general parking for a limited time.

There isn't much to be done other than wait for the idiots to get bored. Or build more stalls at Superchargers.

Tesla can charge because they DO own the Superchargers that they installed at their substantial cost and ongoing payment to the utility companies per kWh (and likely also substantial kW demand charges in many states) so TESLA owners have the privilege of free fuel (for some) or at-cost (for the rest). Please understand the limitations TESLA has since the physical space is owned by some other business that has donated said space for free for the TESLA owners to use. Jerks ICE’ing in diesel trucks will be jerks; simply call the police if there’s a real problem.

I was charging at a normal chargepoints, in a car park, the other day. Only there for an hour, waiting for partner. In that time, 2 ICE vehicles tried to park in the adjacent EV bay. One did not get it at all. "I have paid for my ticket". But you are not parked in a legitimate space....it's for electric vehicles....you will get a ticket! "Where does it say I can't park here?" On this big sign by your car, which says, 'Parking for charging electric vehicles only'.

He left the spot!

The second car left without arguing.
What happens when I am not there???

WTF?

I'm obviously being sarcastic but the entire post was suppose to be that. No adult would do anything other than thinking "what an idiot" and move on. I was changed $3 for being about 5 minutes late to unplug (no message on my phone) and that was not a good thing. I totally understand the need to move after you're done and I honestly try to make sure I don't over stay. When you see an obviously organized multi truck ICE... well I think this is a Tesla problem not an individual owners issue. Seems like I'm mistaken. It's no one's problem. Just ignore them and they will eventually stop.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
I'm obviously being sarcastic but the entire post was suppose to be that. No adult would do anything other than thinking "what an idiot" and move on. I was changed $3 for being about 5 minutes late to unplug (no message on my phone) and that was not a good thing.
You have a five minute grace period, so if you were charged anything it means you were more than five minutes late.

While very expensive and highly unlikely, it would be cool to see automatic bollards or barrier plates set into the ground that lower automatically when a Tesla pulls up and raise as soon as someone pulls out of a stall. In fact it could be linked to the touchscreen when you pull into a SC location, tap the stall number to lower to bollard or barrier plate. That would all but eliminate ICEing and ahole pickup trucks or semis from blocking SCs.

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
While very expensive and highly unlikely, it would be cool to see automatic bollards or barrier plates set into the ground that lower automatically when a Tesla pulls up and raise as soon as someone pulls out of a stall. In fact it could be linked to the touchscreen when you pull into a SC location, tap the stall number to lower to bollard or barrier plate. That would all but eliminate ICEing and ahole pickup trucks or semis from blocking SCs.
That might work in some circumstances but still wouldn't prevent the problem entirely. They would just park their trucks/trailers along the front of the stalls. On more than one road trip, I've seen pickups hauling large horse trailers or similar that are parked directly in front of Supercharger spaces. Technically, they aren't in the Supercharging parking spots but they still prevent them from being used. :(

Sure, but usually the area in front of the supercharger stalls are active driving/parking lanes, and it would be much much easier to have the violators ticketed or towed for blocking an active roadway, even if it is inside a "private" parking area. Also, the ICErs would be much much less inclined to leave their trucks parked like that left unattended.

While very expensive and highly unlikely, it would be cool to see automatic bollards or barrier plates set into the ground that lower automatically when a Tesla pulls up and raise as soon as someone pulls out of a stall.

Ask and you shall receive: Tesla implements innovative way to avoid gas cars ‘Icing’ Superchargers

Well not exactly automatic, but simple enough. (I would think for AP HW cars that Tesla could read the QR code and handle it automatically, and you could use the Tesla app as a backup. Not sure why they went with the WeChat app unless it was just an off the self product.)

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

That's awesome! But I'd like to see something bigger for the US market. That little frame is nothing for a jacked up pickup truck to just roll over anyway, even tempts them to do it. I'd also like to see it much further forward.

Something like this will stop >90% of the intentional or unintentional ICEing in the US by cars... but it doesn't really solve the truck problem. It also looks like it's a bit fragile and could be broken or disabled by a truck and a tow cable. But that would be vandalism, so perhaps a minor deterrent.

That's awesome! But I'd like to see something bigger for the US market. That little frame is nothing for a jacked up pickup truck to just roll over anyway, even tempts them to do it. I'd also like to see it much further forward.

Something like this will stop >90% of the intentional or unintentional ICEing in the US by cars... but it doesn't really solve the truck problem. It also looks like it's a bit fragile and could be broken or disabled by a truck and a tow cable. But that would be vandalism, so perhaps a minor deterrent.
Exactly...and in the sue-happy US, people would be tripping over that all day long. They could just as easily make it 6 to 8 feet tall and put it at the front of the parking spot. That would make it more noticeable and harder for monster trucks to hover over it...unless they were REALLY big monster trucks. lol