Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that the prototype's non-integrated panel is overly intrusive and kludgy, not that it blocks road vision. It's reminiscent of the ubiquitous desktop computer display which is fine for an office, but for a car it screams quick-and-dirty "afterthought". The Model 3 desperately needs a clean source of dashboard instrumentation rather than that rude, cheap looking, entity. Bad industrial design work.

My thoughts exactly. If the center display stays, I expect it to be much more refined and integrated in the production model. I also expect that it may be available as a screen to mirror your laptop when working in full autonomy mode, with basic info either overlayed or in some HUD.

If you look carefully at the video that Elon tweeted of the "near production" 3, it looks like the center display has already been modified, although hard to tell, even when going frame by frame. It is also obvious in the video that the passenger has some form of laptop or test device open as well (in addition to the center display).

Elon Musk on Twitter

If the center display stays, I expect it to be much more refined and integrated in the production model. I also expect that it may be available as a screen to mirror your laptop when working in full autonomy mode, with basic info either overlayed or in some HUD.
I think that when you first see a production Model 3 interior you are going to be even more disappointed than you appear to be right now.

As for the vehicle center display being able to mirror a laptop, I think that is a fantasy.
If you look carefully at the video that Elon tweeted of the "near production" 3, it looks like the center display has already been modified, although hard to tell, even when going frame by frame. It is also obvious in the video that the passenger has some form of laptop or test device open as well (in addition to the center display).
In that disappointingly low quality video I see nothing different about the center display compared to the prototypes shown last year.

Yes, the passenger is using a laptop. Nothing to do with the car's interior design.

Reactions: Ken7 and WarpedOne
As most of you should know, one of the greatest benefits of Teslas is their "connectability." There are various 3rd party apps that are able to connect to your Tesla and display many different aspects of your car, one of which being the speedo and "tachometer."

Therefore, one possible solution (and money making idea) is that someone develop an app with a layout connected to the vehicle that displays your relevant information. Then you could get a 7 inch tablet with a data plan and find a creative way to mount it in front of the driver

Thoughts?

I think that when you first see a production Model 3 interior you are going to be even more disappointed than you appear to be right now.

As for the vehicle center display being able to mirror a laptop, I think that is a fantasy.
In that disappointingly low quality video I see nothing different about the center display compared to the prototypes shown last year.

Yes, the passenger is using a laptop. Nothing to do with the car's interior design.

Where did I ever express being disappointed? I'm just brainstorming what *may* happen. To my eye, the center screen looks lower and tilted differently in the video **but I could be wrong**

a 2010 Yaris with a center instrument cluster.
Have a 2004 Toyota Echo with center instruments, never been a problem
When I think "quality entry-level luxury car interior", the Yaris and Echo (and someone mentioned Mini) aren't exactly what comes to mind...

Instrumentation clusters are a pretty significant part of the overall driving experience. Tesla is making a sacrifice to keep down costs. Sacrifices in that area aren't going to compare well with competitors like the BMW mid-size cars. It'll make the initial impression of the car come off like a weird-mobile, that sacrifice to cost being almost the very first thing you'll see when you sit down.

Obviously, I'm highly skeptical of the one center screen approach.

However, that said, pretty much nothing is known about the interior aside from this one fact so I'm keeping my mind open and I'll see how it feels when I actually test drive the car.

Don't get me wrong, I won't give up my reservation. If the Model 3 only has a center console screen for all data, I won't be buying it without being able to test drive it.

This is an important point for me. I waited in line in Chicago to get my reservation, so I'd expect my order timing to be on/around the bubble for getting the full $7500 tax credit, and I'm not optimistic about Tesla making it possible to get a Model 3 test drive before I place an order.

If there's no display in front of the driver, I don't think I'd feet comfortable placing an order without trying it out first behind the wheel. But since any delay in ordering could cost me thousands of dollars, this could put me and others in a pickle.

(Plus, even if I were to find that I can get used to no display in front of me, I'd never be happy about it.)

People (those that have been driving for a year or more) still need to look at their speedometer to know how fast they are going? Really? Don't any of you just instinctually know by feel how fast you're going? I do. My Model 3 can have the speed displayed on the seat under my butt and I'll be fine. *shrug*

After yesterdays twitter storm I think the real question here isn't "do I need to see my speed in front of me or to the left" there's a bigger issue here. What other things are we going to have to do without as part of the simplification?

No Binnacle (likely no HUD) - Sure other cars are missing it, but for the most part they're crapitalistic econbox cars (sorry if I've offended the numerous Yaris owners here).

Interior - We haven't seen it but so far Tesla hasn't won any awards for interior design. The flagship model S didn't have any storage pockets in the doors and all of 2 cupholders...."Who cares, I just drive myself I only need 1 cupholder" or "You shouldn't keep crap in your car anyway so pocket holders are unnecessary" are are arguments that miss the point completely, other manufacturers have put these creature comforts in cars of all price levels.

Sure they're not NESSISARY but neither are rear windows that roll down, AC, or lumbar supported chairs, heck neither is power steering. My first car was an '84 honda civic that was missing ALL those things. It was just fine at the time. However I've moved on since then and if I can find those features in 30+ cars on the market all competing for my dollars I should also be able to find it on a Tesla that is marketed as the BEST car I can get for 35k.

I've still got my reservation in, I won't be making any rash decisions until I see the final car. But I sure hope it's compelling.. I"m hoping it's compelling ALMOST as much as I hope Elon would stop one line twitter comments that the entire Tesla community will go bonkers over and analyze to death for weeks. How about a full reveal with full details!

Last edited:
After yesterdays twitter storm I think the real question here isn't "do I need to see my speed in front of me or to the left" there's a bigger issue here. What other things are we going to have to do without as part of the simplification?

No Binnacle (likely no HUD) - Sure other cars are missing it, but for the most part they're crapitalistic econbox cars (sorry if I've offended the numerous Yaris owners here).

Interior - We haven't seen it but so far Tesla hasn't won any awards for interior design. The flagship model S didn't have any storage pockets in the doors and all of 2 cupholders...."Who cars, I just drive myself I only need 1 cupholder" or "You shouldn't keep crap in your car anyway so pocket holders are unnecessary" are are arguments that miss the point completely, other manufacturers have put these creature comforts in cars of all price levels.

Sure they're not NESSISARY but neither are rear windows that roll down, AC, or lumbar supported chairs, heck neither is power steering. My first car was an '84 honda civic that was missing ALL those things. It was just fine at the time. However I've moved on since then and if I can find those features in 30+ cars on the market all competing for my dollars I should also be able to find it on a Tesla.

AP2 - if it's not performing better than it is now I won't get it. Fortunately I can always upgrade after the fact but not everyone will shell out 8k for it, and certainly not today after some of the videos I've seen. I can have TACC for free and it's being mandated into all new cars in the next couple years most manufacturers include TACC now at the 35k price range so it's not an advantage compared to other cars at the moment.

I've still got my reservation in, I won't be making any rash decisions until I see the final car. But I sure hope it's compelling.. I"m hoping it's compelling ALMOST as much as I hope Elon would stop one line twitter comments that the entire Tesla community will go bonkers over and analyze to death for weeks. How about a full reveal with full details!

Well said! All of it! For the first time I am having doubts as well regarding the possible loss of the $7500, no AWD, no speed indicator in front of me, possible cheap feeling interior. Also I have zero interest in AP. I predict there will come a time when a critical mass of autos in AP mode is reached, they will seize-up the lanes and corridors of traffic with the whole mess just twitching in tiny movements front-back-side-front-back-side ad infinatum until the batteries run down... (There I said it)

I predict there will come a time when a critical mass of autos in AP mode is reached, they will seize-up the lanes and corridors of traffic with the whole mess just twitching in tiny movements front-back-side-front-back-side ad infinatum until the batteries run down... (There I said it)
For 95% of highway driving, I don't see an effective difference between a relatively sophisticated AP and the common dynamic/adaptive cruise control. That feature make the average commute faster, if anything, because failure to maintain a consistent speed is a huge factor in congestion related slow downs.

Reactions: Big-T

This is probably similar to what we will see on part of the big screen, with almost 2 more years of refinement (this vid was early 2016 nvidia demo). I can live with this if it's this clean looking. Also allows other passengers to see what car is doing/thinking, which would be helpful for (much) later experiences with Tesla Network. HUD is useless for anyone not in drivers seat.

More likely it is the way to say that the Model 3 will not have any feature that is not available on the MS or MX. They made it clear the MS with the least options will still be more loaded than the most loaded M3. Otherwise no one is spending $90K+ for a Tesla now.

They are going to have to cut as much fat out of the car to actually start at $35K, if that is still the plan.

This is probably similar to what we will see on part of the big screen, with almost 2 more years of refinement (this vid was early 2016 nvidia demo). I can live with this if it's this clean looking. Also allows other passengers to see what car is doing/thinking, which would be helpful for (much) later experiences with Tesla Network. HUD is useless for anyone not in drivers seat.

Correction: that is what everyone that purchased FSD will see (once the software is ready). I think it is a bad assumption that everyone who buys a M3 will pay for this add on.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
I posed this in another thread but meant to post it here:

My guess is no HUD for model 3 until you first see them in S/X. S/X will probably get the HUD with the next refresh along with 2170 based packs.

There is definitely only one screen and Elon is being very coy as he could clearly shoot down a HUD if he wanted to. He has said enough about the car to date that are bigger issues then a HUD. For example, no P or D for the first cars built. No battery over 75 kWh will fit yet. Those are very large ticket items that have more real world impact on the car and he is very open about talking about them. Why not shoot down the HUD in the same way he has shot down a batter larger then 100 kWh in S/X and 75 kWh in the 3? My only guess is that a HUD is in the works, but will not be in the base Model 3 that comes out this year.

I had a very dumb idea and wanted to bounce it off this forum. What if the instrument panel was replaced by a cell phone docking station? You dock your cell when you get into the car and it acts like a 3D accelerated, 4G instrument panel. They could then do away with the 4G modem in the car to keep costs down (though I think they will still have 4G to gather autopilot data). Even in S/X the data is only covered for 3-4 years? In 3-4 years, with 5G coming, unlimited 4G plans will be as common as free text messaging.

I know it sounds dumb, but it will save a ton of money on the base model. As an option, they could have a 7" Samsung tablet that could be detached and used by passengers for entertainment or for the driver during fully autonomous driving. Tesla did just contract with Samsung for some mystery process, everyone thought it was a future replacement for nVidia Drive PX2, but maybe its just a basic tablet? Integrating this into the car would be drastically more simplistic then adding another fully integrated screen, because all you would need is USB and a cell phone app.

Thoughts?

Reactions: SteveG3