Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUH??? 250 miles isnt up to standard? wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see the Model Y being more sensitive to range concerns than a similar Model 3. The Model Y is going to be heavier and larger. More weight and probably more wind drag. The Model Y uses 270 Wh/mi vs the Model 3's 251. (This take from a chart of EVs I found on Inside EVs. It compares the LR AWD of each as they didn't have the Wh/mi ratings for the SRs.)

People in California will never understand what it’s like to drive an EV at -30C....
Jokes aside, that would only be relevant if people were calling to make the SR model the only model in the lineup. However, that's not the case. They are only asking to be given a choice of buying a shorter range vehicle for less money, given they don't need the extra range, just like people who need more range can get the LR model.

And California is not a small car market (especially not for EVs). 38,580 Model 3s and 20,124 Model Ys were sold here last year.
California: Plug-Ins Capture Over 8% Of The Market In 2020
That's way more than what was sold in Canada (6,151 Model 3, and 676 Model Y, although I should note the Model Y) and I'm sure many other states in the USA.
Tesla Model 3 Sales Figures
2020 Canada Vehicle Sales Figures By Model

This is how I rationalized the SR purchase. There is an 82 mile EPA range difference between the LR and the SR. Real world is around 60 miles. Will 60 miles make me feel any better when I drive about 45 miles daily with the occasional 180 mile at most trip out of town? With home charging, it was an easy decision for me. If it was only a $2000 difference, it would have been maybe a little tougher decision.

exactly.

So I live in NC (not CA).
I have 90k on my lowly 70D. At the time, I think I saved $15k vs an 85D. Might have been $10K.
There are several times the extra range would have been nice. As in, less than 10 over 6 years. And that was with fewer superchargers.
Most people on this forum do not live in areas that get to -30C. We get to -7C here once a year for a few hours. Generally when that happens, we are in bed and not on a long drive.
I certainly would not buy a SR in Montreal. I have a friend getting a Y in Indianapolis and totally understand why he would not get a SR.
But living with a SR in the coastal areas of the US outside of New England is totally fine. Now - Texas with high speeds and big distances - probably not either.
But I am here to tell you that 240 EPA range down to 216 after 6 years and 90K miles is perfectly fine in most of the coastal US - where majority of the higher income people live.
Personally, our other family car is a M3LR. Thinking of replacing my S and we have zero need for two 300 mile+ cars. There is a market for 244 miles cars. Heck, there is a market for 150 mile cars. Not every car needs to be able to road trip. At 244, you can absolutely do it in a pinch (as in once every few years when a couple wants to drive separately).

(Full disclosure - we had a Leaf for 6 years and 60k miles. Not every car needs to road trip...)

I wouldn't own a Tesla if not for the pricing of the Model 3 SR/SR+. It's not that I couldn't afford a more expensive car, but I had never spent that much, never mind $10,000 more than that, on any car and I just didn't want to spend $50,000 on a car. My wife and I are both semi-retired and our daily routines don't require us to drive long distances. We've always owned inexpensive and practical cars, never anything approaching luxury. But we are EV fans, having progressed through a Prius (hybrid), a Chevy Volt (EV 90% of the time), and a Chevy Spark EV.

Having owned the Spark which had 81 miles rated range, we knew that there was only one trip that my wife made about once a week where she couldn't take that car, and that was only in the winter when the range dropped below 60 miles. In the summer we never needed our second car to have more than 81 miles range.

However now that we own a Tesla we're not only looking to add a Model Y LR this year (not sure if I'd go RWD of AWD if given the choice) but we've even discussed that if we like the Y enough we might sell/trade the 3 SR for a Y SR in a year or so. Again based on value and not a affordability I just have a harder time spending the extra $10,000 on the 2nd EV. The number of times that we would both need to drive beyond the range of a SR on the same day is very very close to zero. That very rare event could easily be handled with an extra 20 minutes at a supercharger. Is that 20 minutes in 5 or 7 years of ownership worth $10,000 to me? No. I might as well just stick $10,000 in the frunk of my Model 3 and let that sit in the driveway for all the return I'd get on the investment.

So the lower priced entry-point to Tesla ownership might, as it did in our case, bring someone in as a Tesla owner and result in the sale of more cars later. If the Model 3 SR had been deemed to not have enough range to meet Tesla standards and hadn't been available when we bought it we'd probably be looking at a Bolt EUV or a Mustang Mach E due to their lower prices after tax rebates. While the Model 3 SR+ is still out there in that role, a lot of people aren't really interested in a sedan, and having a crossover in that price range would be a good thing if Tesla wants to bring in more buyers like me.

I wouldn't own a Tesla if not for the pricing of the Model 3 SR/SR+. It's not that I couldn't afford a more expensive car, but I had never spent that much, never mind $10,000 more than that, on any car and I just didn't want to spend $50,000 on a car. My wife and I are both semi-retired and our daily routines don't require us to drive long distances. We've always owned inexpensive and practical cars, never anything approaching luxury. But we are EV fans, having progressed through a Prius (hybrid), a Chevy Volt (EV 90% of the time), and a Chevy Spark EV.

Having owned the Spark which had 81 miles rated range, we knew that there was only one trip that my wife made about once a week where she couldn't take that car, and that was only in the winter when the range dropped below 60 miles. In the summer we never needed our second car to have more than 81 miles range.

However now that we own a Tesla we're not only looking to add a Model Y LR this year (not sure if I'd go RWD of AWD if given the choice) but we've even discussed that if we like the Y enough we might sell/trade the 3 SR for a Y SR in a year or so. Again based on value and not a affordability I just have a harder time spending the extra $10,000 on the 2nd EV. The number of times that we would both need to drive beyond the range of a SR on the same day is very very close to zero. That very rare event could easily be handled with an extra 20 minutes at a supercharger. Is that 20 minutes in 5 or 7 years of ownership worth $10,000 to me? No. I might as well just stick $10,000 in the frunk of my Model 3 and let that sit in the driveway for all the return I'd get on the investment.

So the lower priced entry-point to Tesla ownership might, as it did in our case, bring someone in as a Tesla owner and result in the sale of more cars later. If the Model 3 SR had been deemed to not have enough range to meet Tesla standards and hadn't been available when we bought it we'd probably be looking at a Bolt EUV or a Mustang Mach E due to their lower prices after tax rebates. While the Model 3 SR+ is still out there in that role, a lot of people aren't really interested in a sedan, and having a crossover in that price range would be a good thing if Tesla wants to bring in more buyers like me.
I drove a 2017 Volt prior to purchase my Long Range Model Y. I don't need the additional range, even the Volt's EV range of 53 miles was adequate for almost all of my driving needs. The only trip I regularly would make in the Volt was when I drove from Rockville to the BWI Airport. For that trip I needed to use 0.25 gallon to 0.33 gallons of gas when driving the Volt to complete the round trip.

I switched to the Model Y because I found the Volt too small, not comfortable for longer than about a 1 hour drive. Also, I could not easily take passengers in the Volt as the entry and egress for the Volt's rear seats was difficult for older people to manage.

Soon there will be alternatives to the Model Y from other auto makes including GM, Ford and VW. Also, if you are still interested in a Model Y these will be available as CPO vehicles from Tesla. You will be able to buy a Long Range Model Y with the AWD for less if you buy used.

Also another thought, how is 263 miles acceptable for the Model 3 SR+, but 19 less miles for the Model Y is unacceptable? We are talking around maybe 15 real world miles. I feel like there is some other issue here for Tesla with cannibalizing Model 3 sales, low margins, or something related to the possible upcoming tax credit. To say it is unacceptable when they knew how many miles it is rated for is not a great excuse. It is not like the EPA rated it after it was released. A better reason could have been we wanted to test the market to see how it would impact the business, and we have decided to go in a different direction. Remember, no real PR team to bounce ideas off each other!
You have a good point...15 real world miles in the overall scheme of things isn't much. The Model Y SR RWD is a great value after the price drop. "only" $3K more than Model 3 SR Plus. Still get the premium interior and more cargo space. So certainly can cannibalize the Model 3. The margins are certainly lower; but I am unsure if they dropped it b/c not enough sales or too much sales that it also cannibalize the AWD LR b/c the delta price was $8K before and after the price drop it was $10K.

if they dropped it b/c not enough sales or too much sales that it also cannibalize the AWD LR b/c the delta price was $8K before and after the price drop it was $10K.
You make a good point. Before the SR was removed the SR was $39,990 and the LR AWD was $49,990. When they removed the SR they also lowered the price of the LR AWD by $1,000 to $48,990. That supports the theory that the SR was cannibalizing the LR AWD. Remove the SR and drop the price on the LR AWD to make it a little more attractive.

Talked to my sales rep today and he said they have plenty of inventory on the SR’s because they just weren’t selling that well. Others have reported someone at Tesla told them the opposite.

But low demand is the only thing that makes sense with the price drop days beforehand - they were obviously testing if they could stimulate demand.

I got a DM reservation at launch. Then I test drove the car and added a P reservation. They shortened my P delivery a month, to the middle of the arctic blast snow storm. Definitely not driving the car 350 miles through a blizzard. So I decoupled from that vin (Kisco is 350 miles from me, and the snow DID happen). I decided on the P because the DMY is so much slower than my 3.

Then they dropped SR by $2k, and with all this talk of air suspension possible on the horizon, and they have the colors I want in stock, so I grabbed the car and picking it up Friday. It's not going to have FSD, but it'll probably be my gf car and she doesn't even like cruise control.

I'm a huge EV advocate (I also have a Bolt, gf drives it), so I know lots of people with cars and I asked one friend how he's getting along with his sr3, his observations were really interesting:

Good to hear from you Ted. I’ve thought about you from time to time while I continue to experience my Model 3. It’s hard to believe I’ll have had the car for 2 years in April. There is no question that the car is the best I’ve ever owned but more importantly fits my personality perfectly. People actually tell me that. I’m happy with all the decisions I made for options. I didn’t get Autopilot originally but last summer they had a special and reduced the price from $3k to $2k which was equal to the price if ordering it with the car. So I went for it and do find it very handy on road trips.

My original range was bumped up from 220 to 225 in an update which is nice but not significant. Around town this is plenty of range. On long road trips it would be nice to have more but not so much. Until they added chargers in Williamsport I was forced to stop in Erwin which sucked but now I can bypass it. I go to NC and I can do it in about 4 stops but my back and legs feel much better when I stop 6 times for 20-25 minutes each. It’s an all day trip no matter how thinly you slice it. And as you know it’s very dependent on terrain and temperature.

The day trip kind of travel is the one you have to think about. If one decides to go wine tasting on the spur of the moment you need to plan. I used to let my charge go down to about 20% and then re-charge to 90%. But to be prepared for such day trips I now just plug in just about every day this way I’m always ready. This is better in the winter too because the cold just decreases battery power just sitting there.

I see that the range for the Model Y standard is 244. I think that will serve you well. With the long range at 326 that would maybe translate to one less stop on a trip to say NC so I don’t think it’s worth thousands of dollars more for that small improvement. Recently I find that I pick where to stop based on what’s offered rather than on distance. So on my trip to NC I stop at Williamsport, then there is another new one at Gettysburg that is quick and easy. If I stop there I can avoid the crowded ones going into DC. I catch one of many on the other side of DC and then I like stopping at the one just north of Richmond that has several nice stores. Then on to Rocky Mount which is the worst but I have to stop there because I can’t make it to Fayetteville from Richmond.

Good luck with the Model Y. It’s a very nice car, I’m sure you’ll be pleased. Thanks for getting in touch.
My 3 would save him a few minutes supercharging that he doesn't miss, and would allow him to skip Rocky Mount. That's about it.
If you are doing long trips like that a lot, the flexibility is nice, is it a catastrophic deal breaker? I guess I'll see soon.

I think these cheapest of Tesla's lose very little value.

Frankly, for $76,000, I'm ok waiting to see if the Austin cars have air suspension....

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
Talked to my sales rep today and he said they have plenty of inventory on the SR’s because they just weren’t selling that well. Others have reported someone at Tesla told them the opposite.

But low demand is the only thing that makes sense with the price drop days beforehand - they were obviously testing if they could stimulate demand.

BS
So they decide to sell cheaper car and there is no demand now? Really?

Range to low?

So Audi sells 75k car with 230 miles range to who ?
Tesla sells used 6 year old MS for 50k with 250 miles range (now 210 with degradation) and nobody complains about that.
Tesla sells 4 years old MX with 210 miles range and its perfect car for families .Nobody is complaining about range.

But now when Tesla decide to sell 39.999 brand NEW car with premium features all of a sudden there is no demand ?

Just to be honest, if SR was available since beginning many LR owners would buy it and save 11k including tax. Rural areas are perfect for its range and 80% of people are using it for daily driving.

LR owners please don`t try to talk bad about SR, we know if it was available back then you would get one and invest your 11k in Tesla stocks ! :)

BS
So they decide to sell cheaper car and there is no demand now? Really?

Range to low?

So Audi sells 75k car with 230 miles range to who ?
Tesla sells used 6 year old MS for 50k with 250 miles range (now 210 with degradation) and nobody complains about that.
Tesla sells 4 years old MX with 210 miles range and its perfect car for families .Nobody is complaining about range.

But now when Tesla decide to sell 39.999 brand NEW car with premium features all of a sudden there is no demand ?

Just to be honest, if SR was available since beginning many LR owners would buy it and save 11k including tax. Rural areas are perfect for its range and 80% of people are using it for daily driving.

LR owners please don`t try to talk bad about SR, we know if it was available back then you would get one and invest your 11k in Tesla stocks ! :)

Audi sells a 85k E-Tron to people who want the badge. That 250 isn't 250 once the battery degrades and the weather cools down. You're looking at about a 30% to 40% loss in range.