Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUH??? 250 miles isnt up to standard? wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just looked up the drag coefficient for model 3 vs Y. They are the same, which is pretty impressive.

But cross-sectional area is larger. So it will matter.

Maybe a tail wind is disproportionally helping the 3, because it's lighter ;)

Tests are done on a dyno of course. Of course, test results subject to the accuracy of their dyno resistance aero model coefficients. But they try to make them right for audit reasons I would imagine.

Anyway I think if they were using 2170L like they are on Model 3 SR+ that is probably why they aren’t making them right now. Why constrain Performance models?

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
But cross-sectional area is larger. So it will matter.

Tests are done on a dyno of course. Of course, test results subject to the accuracy of their dyno resistance aero model coefficients. But they try to make them right for audit reasons I would imagine.

Anyway I think if they were using 2170L like they are on Model 3 SR+ that is probably why they aren’t making them right now. Why constrain Performance models?

Perhaps if they have more demand for Performance than SR (or even as much) they would make more profit putting them in Performance. But my guess is the bulk of Y sales are LR's. Not to mention Model 3 LR's (AWD) and Performance.

And the Model 3 SR+ can cover most of the Low end EV Market.

We got our SR Y Friday. Love it, feels light and flickable compared to the LR and P. (Granted, I didn't drive them back to back, and my "fun car" bias may be heavily due to the astonishing price, but I didn't really like the ride of the big battery cars)

The SR is only .4 seconds slower than the LR, and both are a great deal slower than my DM3. So I had previously decided to get the P, and have not been really happy about writing a $78k check. Then Elon in quick succession dropped the price on the SR by 2k, then took them off menu. So I found one in stock and bought it.

I get that charging speed and taper are king.

When taking long trips we stay in the bottom half of the 3's battery, and if the car experiences taper we don't know as we are never in the car when it is charging, and because we prefer 2 hour legs, we never have to wait for it to finish. I don't want to travel in the 3, it's too small.

I love this Y, but it does look like the thing doesn't charge fast for long, it tapers pretty quickly, and I think we may end up waiting at the end of our breaks for it to get enough charge for even our preferred 2 hour leg. It'll be interesting to see if 700 mile days are simply impossible.

We did NOT get FSD which I really missed. I like stop lights, summon, and nav on autopilot, but I've really gotten really used to lane change and to lesser extent auto lane change (my gf doesn't really even like AP - so guess she'll drive this mostly)

It's an amazing amount of car for the price, and I suspect without FSD the car won't depreciate much. If the range issue turns into a bummer I may simply trade it in in 6 months. I don't think people are losing much on these cars, particularly the cheaper ones. So correcting a mistake isn't a huge catastrophe.

Kinda wish we had the 3rd row, would have made the car more fun, which pushes me back toward an LR with boost if this car doesn't travel well.

Put about 600 miles on this weekend and this is probably pretty accurate:

Just for reference, as I have put about 3000 miles on my SR Y at this point:

1. Using @AlanSubie4Life 's generalized method for calc'ing battery size (using the consumption graph), doing this weekly with both my SR Y and my wife's Model 3 SR+, the SR Y is consistently registering almost 4kwh more energy capacity than the model 3. I've been taking these measurements for the past five weeks. Shouldn't be degradation related because at this point the Y has more miles than the 3 (I drive a lot more than my wife does). I just did another entry in teh spreadsheet and the Y still comes up at around ~53.5kwh and the model 3 is ~49kwh. It seems like the Y does have a larger battery but could be only that my wife has the "250 mile" SR+ instead of the "newer" one that claims 263. Maybe the SR Y has the same battery as the 263 mile 3?

2. I have done three separate test runs examining consumption at freeway speed, and they were all pretty consistent. the freeway I use is relatively flat so that shouldn't be a factor, and it was during very nominal weather here in CA. Falling in line with your perspective above, my estimation is that you can only rely on 140 miles range in between superchargers with the SR Y, *in nominal weather*, driving 75mph .. basically running the 10-85% range between stops. Each stop would be about a 40 minute charge back up to 85%. Another thing of note was that once you start dropping below 10%, the car really starts bringing down teh acceleration limit .. I would run it down to 5% but at that point you would not be able to accelerate to freeway speed very quickly if you had to, you'd only have enough power to drive on city streets normally. Which IMO adds more stress to the range anxiety of being low on battery. Mostly makes it where you want to plan to arrive with 10% left instead of going lower. All that of course will be much worse once you add in teh weather items you mentioned...

Once you start charging, I think another thing shows up on why the LR is better for people that take a lot of trips: the charge curve isn't that great with the smaller battery. Not only would you charge quicker on an LR, but the range that you charged would get you farther. with the smaller battery you only get 100+ kw speeds until around 30%, and then it will start dropping quickly down to maybe 60kw or lower for the tail end of the charge. None of that bothers me because I don't really drive out of town, but I can see where that would be a huge negative for people unprepared for it or people who just don't want to deal with stopping every two hours for 40+ minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
That’s not correct at all. The problem was the SR was barely selling at all. Take a look at what is available in stock built on the Tesla website. In NC there are 13 SR’s you can have today. I never saw more than 4 Y’s available in NC prior. Someone posted the nationwide numbers in another thread. There is a giant glut of SR’s sitting in the US right now.
Not anymore. People have been desperate trying to get them but they’re all gone. Any that pops-up in inventory vanishes within minutes.

They got rid of it because for a couple thousand dollars more than a SR+, you get more room, premium audio, and fog lights.

Last edited:
Reactions: timeshifter
I've heard that it didn't sell well. I've heard they were selling like hotcakes. As the owner of a SR Model Y I believe the former. For me an extra $10,000 to get an LR Model Y is just not worth it. I don't care about all wheel drive. I don't think the range is a benefit for me, as my needs are well served by the SR. Why would I want to pay $10,000 more to carry around all the weight of those extra batteries that I don't need?

I've heard that it didn't sell well. I've heard they were selling like hotcakes. As the owner of a SR Model Y I believe the former.
I meant to say the latter! I believe they were selling well. I tried to go back and edit but can't now.

Anyway, there's probably a bias amongst people posting here - I'll say they sell well because I own one. LR owners may lean toward saying the SR isn't popular.

As I posted they had a huge number of unsold SR model Y’s around the country. At my service center you could walk in and pick almost any color combination you wanted. That has never happened with any Tesla in the past. 14 SR model Y’s lined up is a pretty sight but I don’t think Tesla liked it. Someone posted the nationwide unsold numbers. They numbered in the hundreds when Tesla shut off production.

I think for those of us that choose to live somewhere with mild climates .. cough socal, cough. The SR is THE car to get. For the rest of the country, maybe not so.

Also - why do you all live in places with snow and cold and ice ... winter tires ... awd ... ice scrapers ... jackets ... gloves ... pants ... why?

Reactions: designrs
I meant to say the latter! I believe they were selling well. I tried to go back and edit but can't now.

Anyway, there's probably a bias amongst people posting here - I'll say they sell well because I own one. LR owners may lean toward saying the SR isn't popular.

LR isn’t for everybody just like the SR. I thought the SR MY was a great buy. Some of us don’t do long road trips, I rent a car or fly. I still have a gas powered car as well. I live in a warm climate, I don’t need an AWD. So, this notion of “Range Anxiety” was a non-factor for the reasons I just mentioned.

I just feel the SR MY was going to hurt the Model 3 SR+. You get so much more for a little more. I still enjoy my SR+ I think it is much quicker than my SR MY but I do enjoy having the room.

LR isn’t for everybody just like the SR. I thought the SR MY was a great buy. Some of us don’t do long road trips, I rent a car or fly. I still have a gas powered car as well. I live in a warm climate, I don’t need an AWD. So, this notion of “Range Anxiety” was a non-factor for the reasons I just mentioned.

I just feel the SR MY was going to hurt the Model 3 SR+. You get so much more for a little more. I still enjoy my SR+ I think it is much quicker than my SR MY but I do enjoy having the room.
The SR+ M3 might handle, corner faster and not roll side to side as much in the turns as the SR MY. The published 0 - 60 times (5.3 sec) for the SR+ M3 and the SR MY are the same even though the SR MY is 400 lbs heavier than the SR+ M3.

The SR+ M3 might handle, corner faster and not roll side to side as much in the turns as the SR MY. The published 0 - 60 times (5.3 sec) for the SR+ M3 and the SR MY are the same even though the SR MY is 400 lbs heavier than the SR+ M3.
There is no way they are the same. I have both and the SR+ is much quicker from a stop-go. Either the SR+ is quicker than 5.3 or something isn’t right. I definitely feel a difference.

Roughly a week after MYSR was taken off the website I tried to order one "off menu" but was told I can search existing inventory only, and they got snatched up really quickly. All the ones in the Pacific Northwest area are high specs ones (added color, interior, or wheel cost). There are a few basic ones much farther away which will cost me $2k to ship here, so I gave up.