Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hummer EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wheeled my g500 pretty hard, rolled on its side in Moab, it was $120k. I off road my current LX570 pretty hard as well, it was $100k.

Most stock Jeep wrangler rubicon’s are $50k to over $60k, built out get up in the $70-80k easily.
If GM delivers on those specs at MSRP I’ll take delivery of my Edition 1 Hummer. I‘m a big fan of Tesla, like most here, but dissing GM on build quality while driving a Tesla is tantamount tossing rocks from the front lawn of your glass house. Let’s be honest, while we love Teslas, they aren’t exactly the finest manufacturer. GM while not the greatest tech auto company can actually mass produce cars with more quality. I know that’ll piss off everyone and we’ll hear all the GM horror stories rolling in but I don’t think you can compare manufacturing chops.

If GM delivers on those specs at MSRP I’ll take delivery of my Edition 1 Hummer. I‘m a big fan of Tesla, like most here, but dissing GM on build quality while driving a Tesla is tantamount tossing rocks from the front lawn of your glass house. Let’s be honest, while we love Teslas, they aren’t exactly the finest manufacturer. GM while not the greatest tech auto company can actually mass produce cars with more quality. I know that’ll piss off everyone and we’ll hear all the GM horror stories rolling in but I don’t think you can compare manufacturing chops.

Agree the new C8 Corvette is one of the best looking cars on the market. AMAZING bang 4 the buck and solid build quality.

Reactions: coleAK and Zer0t
GM has certain advantages:
(1) Their management doesn't announce with hype and miss their delivery schedules nearly as often
(2) They do know how to handle the manufacturing, sales, distribution, financing, etc...
(3) I prefer the Hummer styling, interior, and specs like HP, 0-60, crab mode, off-road chops, etc.

There are many reasons to like the truck.

I dropped my HummerEV reservation in favor the the Cybertruck for a few reasons:

(1) I didn't think their autopilot was as advances as Tesla -- and I don't like that it requires a user facing camera to operate
(2) their tech isn't as good (updating software, the UI, etc) -- GM has a habit of selling you the car and never updating it again. Tesla supports their cars after sale.
(3) Supercharger network matters -- and I think for a few years Tesla will be ahead
(4) CT has a better range (which it gets through aerodynamic and other efficiency)
(5) GM solved the range issue with brute force: they added a 200KWh battery pack to get ≈350 mile range. Tesla does it partly by efficiency (coefficient of drag). What this means is that the efficiency per mile is far worse for the Hummer. Practically, if it's 50% less effcient and the chargers are equally efficient, it means that if you go on a trip, you're going to need to charge more often (and/or for longer). I don't want charging times going from 30 minutes to 45 to get the same range.

Reactions: Big Earl
Yet this is the first foray into the quick manufacturing like Tesla has. All the Hummers driving around here in pre production have very little extra moulding. I asked. Told yeah this is us trying to get to market quick. The molds aren't even done yet for the trim. So we will see how it turns out for them. Panel gaps and such. So I would throw th emanufacturing prowess out the window when they are in uncharted territory. Could be great, could be a giant blunder. Either way it is a halo with no desire for profit in the current timeframe.

When I am in town I see one every morning. Hummer and the Corvette on the way to work. We are kind of like at detente. I always win.;)
PXL_20210324_194855450.MP.jpg

Reactions: DaveE
Yet this is the first foray into the quick manufacturing like Tesla has. All the Hummers driving around here in pre production have very little extra moulding. I asked. Told yeah this is us trying to get to market quick. The molds aren't even done yet for the trim. So we will see how it turns out for them. Panel gaps and such. So I would throw th emanufacturing prowess out the window when they are in uncharted territory. Could be great, could be a giant blunder. Either way it is a halo with no desire for profit in the current timeframe.

When I am in town I see one every morning. Hummer and the Corvette on the way to work. We are kind of like at detente. I always win.;)View attachment 654388
What quick manuscript like Tesla has? Let’s be honest Tesla finish near the bottom in initial quality and just well tolerated by us fans. It also appears the cyber truck will be delayed as well.

For me, the new Hummer is ugly. I think all of the trucks on the road today are ugly. They are functional... I have been looking for a futuristic looking truck and the Cybertruck ticks all of the boxes for me. Also, if you want a better interior, you will have plenty of money left over to do anything in your wildest dreams and it will still be cheaper than the Hummer monstrosity. I owned a Jaguar i-Pace and the Electrify America network was atrocious. I love the Tesla Supercharger network. My 2014 Tesla Model S has over 150K miles and is still doing great - original brakes, etc.

Brent

For me, the new Hummer is ugly. I think all of the trucks on the road today are ugly. They are functional... I have been looking for a futuristic looking truck and the Cybertruck ticks all of the boxes for me. Also, if you want a better interior, you will have plenty of money left over to do anything in your wildest dreams and it will still be cheaper than the Hummer monstrosity. I owned a Jaguar i-Pace and the Electrify America network was atrocious. I love the Tesla Supercharger network. My 2014 Tesla Model S has over 150K miles and is still doing great - original brakes, etc.

Brent
Was the charging network the primary reason you decided not to keep your Jaguar? I think it's great that all of these automakers are working on these EV first platforms but if charging is truly atrocious how can we expect adoption? I really enjoy my Tesla vehicles and have a Cyber Truck preorder--I'm pretty sure it will be a year or two before I can get mine. However, I like the potential of choice but do need to charge. :)

The Jaguar was very expensive and the charging was very much a huge reason why I did not keep it. One time, I was travelling home from California and I stopped at the ONLY fast charger in Blythe - it wasn't working, so I had to spend the night in a seedy hotel. Luckily, there was a free slow charger at the town hall, so I was able to get home the following day. Another time, I was travelling from Portland to Seattle and I stopped at an Electrify America. The fees were horrible as it was supposedly 100 kWh - however, my Jag would only charge around 50 kWh (I have no clue why) - this meant that it charged me more for the charge - it would have been cheaper for me to take a gas burning SUV in this case.

I have been to New York and back to California in an early Tesla. Just recently, I went from Phoenix to Vancouver, B.C. and across to Calgary, Alberta with the P100DL - it was a wonderful trip with no issues. I am so looking forward to getting the Cybertruck.

Brent

I mean, why are people dissing a manufacturer who knows how to build trucks and has a real good EV on the market? There's only 1 answer to this question.

I always wanted an H1. Still do.

Hummer EV isn't working for me (except for the lunar theme, LOVE that).

I do want it to succeed, though.
I restored a surplus military HMMWV. It was a blast to drive around town. 55mph - you felt like you were in an old Apollo capsule re-entering earth’s atmosphere. It was an absolute pig. Too light without the rocket launchers so it rode stiffer than the MY. Loved that rig. Kind of miss it.

I made those half doors out of 6061 T4 aluminum.

662DA3E0-231F-4997-A55C-67C5BA554223.jpeg

I restored a surplus military HMMWV. It was a blast to drive around town. 55mph - you felt like you were in an old Apollo capsule re-entering earth’s atmosphere. It was an absolute pig. Too light without the rocket launchers so it rode stiffer than the MY. Loved that rig. Kind of miss it.

I made those half doors out of 6061 T4 aluminum.

View attachment 655273
WOW WOW WOW. Good job, Doc!

A good friend of mine had a black metalflake civilian hummer (98 or 99, before GM took over and started messing with things) and it was a blast. No good on the freeway, to be sure, but an absolute joy for stomping around a farm or a small town.

Ehhh... I think one of these is on my bucket list.

Reactions: Doc Brown
WOW WOW WOW. Good job, Doc!

A good friend of mine had a black metalflake civilian hummer (98 or 99, before GM took over and started messing with things) and it was a blast. No good on the freeway, to be sure, but an absolute joy for stomping around a farm or a small town.

Ehhh... I think one of these is on my bucket list.

My aunt and uncle bought #1000 of #1000 of the limited edition civilian run from AM General back in 1992. Direct sale from the factory... gasp! They went on to start American Outfitters in San Diego, building custom components and outfitting Hummers for overlanding and desert exploring. They sold the shop recently but still have #1000 and another H1 that’s all kitted out.

My aunt and uncle bought #1000 of #1000 of the limited edition civilian run from AM General back in 1992. Direct sale from the factory... gasp! They went on to start American Outfitters in San Diego, building custom components and outfitting Hummers for overlanding and desert exploring. They sold the shop recently but still have #1000 and another H1 that’s all kitted out.

That's fun to watch.

Reactions: Big Earl
Put in a reservation for the Hummer EV just in case cyber truck is delayed further (2023 - ). Hummer looks great and sounds like they are actually starting to ship them.

I might be late to the party, but I think there will be more people dropping these expensive reservations than not. Always wanted a hummer back in the day. This seems like as good of a time as ever.

Side note: I’ll take the quad motor CT whenever they sell me one of those as well. Definitely not an either or situation. Both will be fun to own and drive.

Reactions: gavine