Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Irma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then Savannah which is co-located inside an airport parking garage ... 2 other Teslas there ... Very confusing path of getting parking validated there inside the terminal. (The path to the terminal, if you pull in straight into the Supercharger stall, get out of your car, and walk towards the back of your car and keep on going, eventually you end up in the Terminal ... the Information desk is on the first floor directly behind the escalators)

This is one of those superchargers that if you don't head out before getting the notification about charging being complete, you could take longer to get to your car than the plugged-in/not-charging grace period and get hit with an idle fee. Not bad, but it can easily take more than 5 minutes for some people to make that walk.

No. The Florida Turnpike is a turnpike.

Well, I'm sorry that having people disagree with you on the internet is such an inconvenience for you.

Except that Texas accomplished it in less than half a day with Rita after witnessing the chaos that was going on on the interstates (I-45 to Dallas, I-10 to San Antonio, and State 290 to Austin). But let's not let a good fact get in the way of griping about people daring to disagree with you.

You're really tiresome.

Your half baked comment was also tied to i75. Don't you have better things to do in europe than act more knowlngly about Florida geography than the residents?

Reactions: MikeQ and kort677
This is one of those superchargers that if you don't head out before getting the notification about charging being complete, you could take longer to get to your car than the plugged-in/not-charging grace period and get hit with an idle fee. Not bad, but it can easily take more than 5 minutes for some people to make that walk.

Most I've ever paid is one dollar. Fwiw: grateful that airport is hosting SC and don't ever begrudge them the small fee

Reactions: Cyclone
IMG_5153.PNG
IMG_5154.PNG
This map shows danger (along with storm surge on both coasts)

Reactions: teddytoons
Your half baked comment was also tied to i75

Yes. So let's stop and think for a second. I say contraflow should be enabled for I-75 and the Florida Turnpike. I then say that contraflow is easier to implement on turnpikes because of the reduced number of entrances. Do you then:

A) Assume I was saying that in relationship to I-75, or
B) Assume that I was saying that in relation to the Florida Turnpike?

Apparently in your case, the answer is "A".

Don't you have better things to do in europe than act more knowlngly about Florida geography than the residents?

My apologies for having an opinion about contraflow after watching how the delays in deciding to allow it during Rita killed over a hundred people in the state I grew up in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
It is vastly different, one reason that they are not reversing roads is to have the ability to get emergency and supplies into the affected areas

Yeah. I am surprised how many of my friends' families are staying put. We stayed for Andrew with our shutters up, but I am still surprised. I'd be freaking out right now if my family was down there at the moment, though they are up here with me.

This is an update to posting #84 regarding determining the status of Supercharger Stations.

I have been in contact with Tesla to learn the best means of determining the status of Supercharger Stations during emergencies such as Hurricane Irma.
Go to your car's navigation system map and scroll into the particular Supercharger Station that you are interested in. Put your finger on the icon and the system will provide the status of how many stalls are available with a lag of 5 minutes. In the event of a power outage, the Supercharger station will display a “temporary closure” message to let you know the station is unavailable.

Additional information:

Tesla informs me that if you have any difficulties interpreting your navigation system, or if for some reason the Supercharger status isn't showing in your car, call Roadside Assistance at 877-79-TESLA.

Roadside Assistance has access to Supercharger vital signs. I am informed that they are keeping a very close eye on them and will communicate any concerns to us appropriately.

Please stay safe.

Larry

Might be nice for people to post supercharger statuses here, just so there's a record over time of how they fared. Or better, on Plugshare so that everyone can see.

18z GFS baseline track is coming in. Seems a touch further west, and stronger. Comes across Big Pine Key, ashore at Rookery Bay, aims at Lakeland. It'll be a while before the ensembles come in.

Last edited:
As Hurricane Irma Nears, Gasoline Is In Short Supply For Floridians — NPR

NPR: As Hurricane Irma Nears, Gasoline Is In Short Supply For Floridians

As Florida drivers hit the road to escape Hurricane Irma, the demand for gasoline has outpaced supply, leaving filling stations throughout the state short of fuel.
"It's horrible, man," said Aaron Izquierdo, who waited in a long line of cars at a Shell station in Doral on Friday. "Just yesterday I was in line for two hours to wait for gas, and by the time we got to the pump there was no gas."
In Gainesville, 60 percent of the gasoline stations were without fuel, according to Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst at the crowdsourcing website Gasbuddy.com. In Miami, it was 40 percent.
------------------------------------------------------------

Yet electricity is still readily available.