Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery failure! 2014 S85 with 43,000 miles, single owner car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As Tesla sales have grown, so grows their exposure. We are just now seeing the beginning of the wave of Teslas coming out of warranty. And people will spread the word quickly if Tesla batteries routinely die shortly after the 8 yr period. And if that happens, it will definitely cause Tesla problems. I'm driving a 2015 model S, and dreading the day my battery dies. Haven't decided what I'll do when it does. Thanks for posting about your problem - an informed community is a better prepared community.

My battery died the morning of my service appointment for an unrelated problem; a few days after an update, I drove it to the service center with BMS errors appearing that morning. This was three weeks out of warranty, and once the SC had the car, it would not charge... It makes you think.

• Helpful
Reactions: ddb1001
I suggested spending less than half the price and getting a replacement battery from ReCell. That is an economic decision and what I would make - but it seems economics is not a concern for your MIL, so I agree with your decision to get the new battery from Tesla.

My battery died the morning of my service appointment for an unrelated problem; a few days after an update, I drove it to the service center with BMS errors appearing that morning. This was three weeks out of warranty, and once the SC had the car, it would not charge... It makes you think.

If Tesla were flagging perfectly good batteries as bad @wk057 would have already started a thread about it.

They are just old and flawed.

I suggested spending less than half the price and getting a replacement battery from ReCell. That is an economic decision and what I would make - but it seems economics is not a concern for your MIL, so I agree with your decision to get the new battery from Tesla.
Warranty is an issue, especially with a battery, which will eventually stop working. Although ReCell seems to be a good company, they are small, so we don't know if they'll be around for the whole warranty period. And, I believe they only give a one year warranty, if I'm correct.

Reactions: Dawave
I don’t buy that the newer packs would last “indefinitely” and with your awareness of FSD, I can’t understand why you would believe that BS either. The chemistry of these batteries dies with both cycles and time.

Remember when FSD did the big rewrite and that would fix everything? Or getting rid of radar would fix phantom braking (or breaking for all the people that don’t know the difference🤣)?

Now it’s, “oh, our new batteries will solve everything magically. Of course we glue it all together with goop that needs to be dry ice blasted to get to the batteries for any repairs, but trust us, these batteries are made of pixie dust and unicorn piss.”
057Tech knows a whole lot about Tesla batteries than I do. As a 3rd party expert in batteries and someone who is well known to call out Tesla for shenanigans, if he says the new batteries are solid, I believe him.

Also, you can't compare an Avalon to a Model S. I'd even downgrade to a Model 3 or Y before paying money for an Avalon. That's like going from an iPhone to a flip phone. C'mon mane

I'm at 168k miles on the original 85 battery of my 2014 car. and according to recurrent its in better condition than other cars of the same model. But I'm getting the 100 upgrade done at 057 tech for $23k anyway just for the more range and charging speed that a 100 provides.
I'm fairly confident that people that don't use the car often have the most issues
A couple of questions:

1) When was your car built?

2) Does it have free, unlimited super charging?

The HC battery failed (a message was displayed that maximum battery charge level reduced. It won't charge to more than 100 miles.

I wonder if there is any possibily of running a diagnostic tool to localise the problem? I imagine that the Tesla SC might have such capability.

Did you try running the Scan My Tesla app, I believe that you could get the voltage, temperature, and other information, for each Cell.

If Tesla were flagging perfectly good batteries as bad @wk057 would have already started a thread about it.

They are just old and flawed.
Nobody outside Tesla engineering can make an authoritative statement regarding what criteria Tesla has put in their code to limit maximum charge limit and effectively brick a car.

There are far too many reports of the BMS_u029 errors being reported within days of an OTA software update for them to be a coincidence. As to what parameters Tesla Engineers used to generate this error message, nobody but Tesla engineering knows. That said as an engineer myself I know how ridiculously easy it would be to take advantage of some battery packs unique configuration to identify and generate a bms_u029 message and effectively brick the car so that the pack has to be changed.

What are the motivations for this? I'm sure their financial. Almost all the cars Tesla sold between 2012 and 2014 had unlimited supercharging. I'm sure there's a positive benefit for removing several of them from the fleet as I would expect that not all of them are going to get a new battery. Even if they all got new batteries, Tesla is making a ton of money on every battery pack they sell so they are in effect being reimbursed for the power usage of those vehicles and then some.

Bottom line is Tesla has decided that regardless of mileage they need to be paid a 'subscription fee' in order for these cars to continue to operate. They have found a very creative way to make that happen. And nobody can possibly prove in court that this is their intention. Too complex to present to a jury of mere mortals. And the proof of that is the number of people who disagree with this idea on this forum alone.

For some peculiar reason people seem to think that companies like Tesla are altruistic wonderful places whose only concern is the benefit of mankind.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Tesla like all publicly owned companies is motivated by one thing and one thing only - making their share price go up! Nothing else matters! If you believe that something else matters I have some swamp land in Florida that you're just going to love.

Consider asking Tesla for a refurbished battery. Saves a lot of bucks, and still has a 4 year warranty. Do some searching on this site to find out the many variables, and the possibility of "winning the lottery".

Also Tesla often is able to supply a loaner during repair. So there's that.
Thank you for the advice. I will try asking for a refurbished battery. The first quote they presented was for a new battery. The loaner car would be a bonus but I don't expect that they will provide one. In this area they typically provide Uber credits so that you can get around by Uber. I doubt that for an out of warranty repair that they're going to be generous and offer a free loaner car. But I will ask.

Wow. If Gruber Motors has an 8 months waitlist, it's probably about 240 cars they have lined up I'm guessing that needs service.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have contacted several 3rd parties that offer HV Battery replacement.

Gruber Motors said that they have an 8 month wait list!!

Others have several weeks of wait list. All have prices in the $11-15K range that require out of area shipping (the car is in Los Angeles). Frankly I'm amazed that there aren't any alternative Tesla service companies in Los Angeles or reasonably nearby.

Re-Cell has the more attractive offering - their 240+ pack however, it is inly a 74kWh pack at $10,895 + shipping which would add another $2000 or more for a lesser pack.

No matter how I figure it - the better bet for her car is to bend over and pay Tesla for their replacement pack. :mad:

This will ensure that she will face no future service hurdles should they arise. The replacement pack is supposed to be warrantied (many have reported 4 years/50K miles) although it isn't stated on the quote and I have yet to get an answer or documentation from Tesla Service that shows the specific warranty in writing.

Overall after reading other threads on this site, there is little doubt that Tesla has covertly decided to remove all older packs (2012-2014Q1 Model S vehicles) from service by setting up the BMS software to flag the battery pack as bad. I'm certain that they are using a 'legit' measuring parameter so that if it were every challenged in court they could support their decision. No doubt the 'legit' parameter is some value based on the design of the battery pack that they can exploit. I'm an engineer and I certainly know how easy it is to conceal and manipulate technical data - especially from mere mortals that would be on any jury.

Turns out many Model S cars around the world have more recently reported the dreaded BMS_u029 - Maximum battery charge level reduced. 9 years of age seems to be the magic number regardless of mileage. Tesla controls ~65% of the EV market and this is life with a technologically astute monopoly when there are no other service alternatives. Tesla has a stranglehold on the service of their cars that 3rd parties can barely make a dent into. Tesla can and will do whatever it wants. They can and will get away with almost every underhanded thing that they do because the cost and complexity to investigate them is very steep. Class action lawsuits will yield lots of $$$$ for lawyers and a pittance for owners as has already been proven time and time again which has only emboldened them to be even more aggressive at soaking the current owners. You can bet that they will do this with all of their vehicles down the road. I suspect that 10 years will be the typical limit before a new battery pack will be required - for any of their cars - a guaranteed revenue stream with minimal effort and maximum profit. The euphemism I would use is - a 'subscription fee' for the continued operation of the vehicle. The result for Tesla is (a) they make about the same margin on an older car by replacing a battery or, (b) that older vehicle is taken off the road and the resale market - opening the door for the sale of a new replacement. Either way the company wins and they actually maintain similar margins whether selling a new car or replacing the battery in the older one.

There are simply no ethics in any major business anywhere, anymore. Tesla is not an exception in that regard, it is the rule. It is no doubt following the exact same business model as Apple and others. Customers should feel privileged to get to use their product. The customer will never really 'own' the product in spite of the appearance of ownership. The company will then decide how long the product will last and use it to continue to milk a revenue stream from. When the company decides that the product life has ended - it will simply shut down the products in the wild - no doubt making some claim that it is in the interest of public 'safety' - that wonderful Orwellian watchword and those affected will simply have to deal with it. Sure there will be a lot of screaming but in the end nothing of substance will be done. Those affected will be forced to purchase replacements which will result in a turnover of vehicles - even if they purchase from competitors and this will open the market to the sale of new vehicles. Even if the government decides to fine or prosecute - it would take years and the cost will have been factored into the sales margins that we all pay. The corporation and its shareholders will lose nothing!! The customers will subsidize any fine or punishment that may come down the line and by that time 100's of thousands of new vehicles and/or batteries will be sold making any fine or punishment nothing more than a cruel joke.

Tesla has completely walled itself from the outside world. They don't need to talk or communicate with anyone. The basic middle finger to all is much the same as all of the other major corporations that control our lives. There is nothing that anyone can do to compel better corporate ethics or customer service and we are collectively stuck with having to rely on all of this 'tech' in our lives whether we like it or not since you cannot realistically live as a Luddite in today's world.

This is the price we pay and nothing and nobody will effect any substantial change. Humans are by nature selfish and greedy creatures who will take everything they can when given the opportunity. Elon is no different in spite of his apparent altruism.

Cost the quoted is:

View attachment 927187

---
Bob Atkins
Bob - your quote is $1000 higher for the new pack than other similar I've seen. Is it 90 kWh? And looks like "D" version. Please give me call at 775.476.2912 to discuss.

Nobody outside Tesla engineering can make an authoritative statement regarding what criteria Tesla has put in their code to limit maximum charge limit and effectively brick a car.

There are far too many reports of the BMS_u029 errors being reported within days of an OTA software update for them to be a coincidence. As to what parameters Tesla Engineers used to generate this error message, nobody but Tesla engineering knows. That said as an engineer myself I know how ridiculously easy it would be to take advantage of some battery packs unique configuration to identify and generate a bms_u029 message and effectively brick the car so that the pack has to be changed.

What are the motivations for this? I'm sure their financial. Almost all the cars Tesla sold between 2012 and 2014 had unlimited supercharging. I'm sure there's a positive benefit for removing several of them from the fleet as I would expect that not all of them are going to get a new battery. Even if they all got new batteries, Tesla is making a ton of money on every battery pack they sell so they are in effect being reimbursed for the power usage of those vehicles and then some.

Bottom line is Tesla has decided that regardless of mileage they need to be paid a 'subscription fee' in order for these cars to continue to operate. They have found a very creative way to make that happen. And nobody can possibly prove in court that this is their intention. Too complex to present to a jury of mere mortals. And the proof of that is the number of people who disagree with this idea on this forum alone.

For some peculiar reason people seem to think that companies like Tesla are altruistic wonderful places whose only concern is the benefit of mankind.

Nothing could be further from the truth! Tesla like all publicly owned companies is motivated by one thing and one thing only - making their share price go up! Nothing else matters! If you believe that something else matters I have some swamp land in Florida that you're just going to love.
If u still have MCU1, u can root n downgrade software, then lock out Tesla/OTAs.
U can also reset BMS codes. Then u can use the car till it gets the same/diff codes to prove/disprove the theory about OTAs...
General consensus here is that new software just has more detection abilities for HV battery issues n locks it down as a failsafe..

Another point that nobody brings up a lot is all 3rd parties n Tesla reman just re-use old modules that haven't failed.
This has pros n cons... Modules could fail eventually but many reman packs n original packs still run just fine...
So, failures are not that often on the big scale i guess.

Moreover, after further research it looks like we have fell victim to Early Adopter issues. While the Gen 1 Model S is a great car, it had several engineering issues that were fixed on 2018 and later versions, including the battery. These Teslas are much more reliable with a battery pack that's highly likely to last over 300k miles.
The twitter post from Jason u referenced is kinda contradicting his other post here:
Unless this one is only about a pack n not the cells...

The battery pack price and type quoted in @Bob Atkins invoice is the same as what was quoted in this thread:

See my comment:
The 1014114 is an old 85kWh/400v pack and we have even seen it with revision E and F. What's interesting is that the invoice does not mention anything if it's a reman or not and what the kWh/voltage of the pack is. The 1014114-00-D is not a new battery and is already on some older cars, like 2014 models. Also, the price is a bit off. The $18,000 can't be a reman ...

I would say the $18k is for a new 10114116 350v/90kWh and the 1014114 is just a place holder.

The twitter post from Jason u referenced is kinda contradicting his other post here
No contradictions anywhere, and everything I noted in both cases still appears to be true.

Pack design changes around Q2'14 solved most of the discovered early issues, but not all of them.

Design change around Q2'15 solved pretty much every issue known at the time. This was effectively a redesign. Tesla internally labeled these 2.0 packs. The design went mostly unchanged on S/X until the Plaid packs. (They even some improved hardware component repairability with this redesign, a pleasant surprise coming from Tesla.)

Late 2017 saw the last known changes to the 100-type cells, and these are currently still in production.

No contradictions anywhere, and everything I noted in both cases still appears to be true.

Pack design changes around Q2'14 solved most of the discovered early issues, but not all of them.

Design change around Q2'15 solved pretty much every issue known at the time. This was effectively a redesign. Tesla internally labeled these 2.0 packs. The design went mostly unchanged on S/X until the Plaid packs. (They even some improved hardware component repairability with this redesign, a pleasant surprise coming from Tesla.)

Late 2017 saw the last known changes to the 100-type cells, and these are currently still in production.
Thanks for the clarification. Hence based on your synopsis I'm replacing my 2013 Model S with a 2018 or later. Prices keep dropping I may go brand new MSLR. Plaid would be fun but I'm not sure I see the value in the extra money for what amounts to a party trick(acceleration).

Reactions: GSP
057Tech knows a whole lot about Tesla batteries than I do. As a 3rd party expert in batteries and someone who is well known to call out Tesla for shenanigans, if he says the new batteries are solid, I believe him.

Also, you can't compare an Avalon to a Model S. I'd even downgrade to a Model 3 or Y before paying money for an Avalon. That's like going from an iPhone to a flip phone. C'mon mane

C'mon man, you can tell me an early S is up to the standards of new cars? It's honestly like a kit car, and with 9 years of aging, it's definitely not up to the standards of a newer car.

Now the later S is a lot better, which is why I own one, but no one in the whole world is going to pretend that the interior of a new Model S is up to the standards of it's late model luxury competition. You're just coming off as a fanboy to deny that fact.

And just because someone calls out shenanigans of others doesn't automatically mean they are innocent of shenanigans. That reminds of grade school when whichever kid got to the teacher first to complain about another kid automatically meant they weren't guilty even though they probably did the same thing. Time to grow up, Victor. We're not in grade school anymore.

Thanks for clarifying
So when u say "super solid beyond Q2'15", does it mean they gonna last as good as "late 2017" or not?..

Thanks for clarifying
So when u say "super solid beyond Q2'15", does it mean they gonna last as good as "late 2017" or not?..
Late 2017 packs are better by a hair, but not by enough to matter significantly. The number of failures definitely trends downwards with newer versions, but the reduction in failures between 2018 and 2016 is pretty negligible.

Hope that makes sense.