Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV replacement/towing damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two issues and wanted to see what the hive minds think.

1)my HV on my p85D died 6 weeks ago. Tesla replaced it with a 90kw pack but has software limited it to 85kw. I KNOW I bought an 85. But good lord it’s 5kw. Anyone else had a P85 replaced to become a p90d? I asked service and he said that they can’t because it requires a new fuse box but could die $5k if I wanted the new box. I’m like but the battery is working. And it was a 90 when they energized it for the first day.

2)when the car was towed out of my garage there was zero body damage to the car. When I arrived at tesla the following day to pick up my loaner the drivers fender and bumper has been side swiped likely
Against a sig s or X (the color that was on my car which is silver) the tow company refuses to take responsibility and neither does tesla and said “oh just submit as hit and run” I have TWO teens on my insurance policy I can only imagine what that would cost me in premiums.

On #1 - doubtful that Tesla will budge, but really not a big deal. As a bonus, you can charge at a 5% higher rate with similar longevity. For example, if you normally charge to 90%, you can now charge to 95% every day, and it will still only be 90% of the 90 kWh pack. So for everyday use, you get more range.

On #2 that sucks. Without visual proof, I don't see much that can be done. Any chance you have a dashcam and recorded the event? Even with Tesla's dashcam in newer cars, I have secondary front and rear dashcams that records all the time.

I have two issues and wanted to see what the hive minds think.

1)my HV on my p85D died 6 weeks ago. Tesla replaced it with a 90kw pack but has software limited it to 85kw. I KNOW I bought an 85. But good lord it’s 5kw. Anyone else had a P85 replaced to become a p90d? I asked service and he said that they can’t because it requires a new fuse box but could die $5k if I wanted the new box. I’m like but the battery is working. And it was a 90 when they energized it for the first day.

2)when the car was towed out of my garage there was zero body damage to the car. When I arrived at tesla the following day to pick up my loaner the drivers fender and bumper has been side swiped likely
Against a sig s or X (the color that was on my car which is silver) the tow company refuses to take responsibility and neither does tesla and said “oh just submit as hit and run” I have TWO teens on my insurance policy I can only imagine what that would cost me in premiums.
Re: #1) Tesla is absolutely correct. The HV wiring and fuse are different for the 85/90 packs. It’s not a simple software unlock.

s-l1600.jpg

OP has a P85D, so that’s what I assume we’re talking about.

You cannot go P85D to P90D on the same wiring/fuse.
Can you further explain? My car originally was a P85D. The 85 pack died and they replaced it with a 90kw pack. It’s basically a P90D that’s software limited to P85D. I know this because when they finally energized her after being dead for 5 weeks I got a notification and the app itself said P90D. They charged it using UMC for about an hour and then tossed it onto their supercharger for about 20 minutes until it was up to 90% soc. Then they drove it around Seattle for about 20 minutes and parked it. It said P90D until they did a software update. Then it now says p85D. If it was in fact the fuse wouldn’t the car have not even been driveable? From what I was told 3 years ago when my cars top speed was limited to 130 was because the fuse box was the first gen p85D and it wouldn’t go 155. Well guess what. Car goes 155 (and before anyone gets all worried it was on a closed track so I could test everything to make sure it all felt the same pre hv pack going down)

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus