Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC temperature - changes on it's own?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening, I have been finding over the past few days that the temperature in my car changes without me doing anything. My wife is the only other one who has access, and she's assured me she's not pranking me. I had my suspicions for the past couple of days, but today I actually caught it actually changing. I had it set to 21.5C by it set it down to 18C all of a sudden while I was parked for about 10 minutes. Nothing touched or prompted.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?

I have experienced, or at least suspected, something similar but have not been able to put my finger on exactly what/when. I will try to keep an eye out.
It seems to happen when getting in/out of car, as you said, or when changing profiles -- it seems to remember a temperature associated to a profile.

I noticed this is over last week or two as well. I thought it happened when I adjusted the temp from the app and then when I got in the car and started driving it reverted back to the earlier setting from before the change I made from the app. I haven’t recently used the app for temp changes and haven’t noticed a recurrence.

Question about the a/c. When your car is parked and the a/c is still cooling, does the fan blow out the same volume of air as it does when your car is moving, driving?

I've noticed that the actual fan speed will vary (presumably for temperature regulation to the target temperature), even if you manually set the target temperature, fan direction, and fan speed. It's one thing I dislike about the climate control in a Tesla and is different from all other vehicles I've owned/used.

• Informative
Reactions: CBPfromTN
I have experienced, or at least suspected, something similar but have not been able to put my finger on exactly what/when. I will try to keep an eye out.
It seems to happen when getting in/out of car, as you said, or when changing profiles -- it seems to remember a temperature associated to a profile.

Interesting point about the profile. I'll see if that might be it, but I doubt it as I unbuckled when I parked (ie. changed the profile), and the temperature remained constant for a time after that.

About the only possibility I can think of is that my arm brushed the right toggle wheel on the steering wheel but even that seems remote especially since it's in "Entry Mode" and therefore I've got the steering wheel pushed in and up all the way. It's far enough away at that point I doubt my arm would even come close to brushing it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I noticed this is over last week or two as well. I thought it happened when I adjusted the temp from the app and then when I got in the car and started driving it reverted back to the earlier setting from before the change I made from the app. I haven’t recently used the app for temp changes and haven’t noticed a recurrence.

I've experienced this on several occasions before as well. I would use the app to warm up the cabin before getting to the car. Some time after entering and beginning my drive, I would notice that the temperature setting had returned to its previous value. It seems intermittent. I'll try to keep an eye out next time to see if I can reproduce it consistently.

I've noticed that the actual fan speed will vary (presumably for temperature regulation to the target temperature), even if you manually set the target temperature, fan direction, and fan speed. It's one thing I dislike about the climate control in a Tesla and is different from all other vehicles I've owned/used.
I don't like that either. If I am hot and I want the A/C on, I want it blowing out of the vents at high speed if I turn the fan on high. That's weird. I could see the fan not running as high/fast if the car is just parked in a parking lot but once it starts driving, I feel if I set the fan on high it should come out on high....

Good Evening, I have been finding over the past few days that the temperature in my car changes without me doing anything. My wife is the only other one who has access, and she's assured me she's not pranking me. I had my suspicions for the past couple of days, but today I actually caught it actually changing. I had it set to 21.5C by it set it down to 18C all of a sudden while I was parked for about 10 minutes. Nothing touched or prompted.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?

So, I had this happen to me, but it would’ve the fan forever changing on me. Then I realized that my right scroll wheel was set to raise/lower fan speed and I was accidentally moving it. Duh! I changed the assignment and problem gone.

So, I had this happen to me, but it would’ve the fan forever changing on me. Then I realized that my right scroll wheel was set to raise/lower fan speed and I was accidentally moving it. Duh! I changed the assignment and problem gone.

Yeah, I thought about this, but I've several incidents happen without my hand touching the wheel at all. Oh, and by the way, it's still happening on 2018.4...

Maybe related, but for the past two days, the climate control seems to be turning itself on some time over night (and running down the battery). When I go to pre-heat the car in the morning, I find that the fan button on my iPhone app is on and the car is at 72 (also interesting is that the climate control in the car, and on the iPhone app is set to 68, so seems to be overshooting). Today I signed out of the app, closed it, restarted my iPhone, and signed back in. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Could it be Vehicle Preconditioning? After two years of ownership, I've never actually detected this function to be doing anything. All of a sudden, is it now working to try to pre-heat the car in the morning?

Maybe related, but for the past two days, the climate control seems to be turning itself on some time over night (and running down the battery). When I go to pre-heat the car in the morning, I find that the fan button on my iPhone app is on and the car is at 72 (also interesting is that the climate control in the car, and on the iPhone app is set to 68, so seems to be overshooting). Today I signed out of the app, closed it, restarted my iPhone, and signed back in. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Could it be Vehicle Preconditioning? After two years of ownership, I've never actually detected this function to be doing anything. All of a sudden, is it now working to try to pre-heat the car in the morning?

Possibly, but in my case, I've got pre-conditioning turned off. The temperature is still changing on it's own without any idea as to why it's happening.

I have something similar, and have also not been able to put my finger on it. I've had it for a while though (some months at least).

One common occurrence is stopping for Supercharge. Both wife and I get out, go and get a cuppa, and when we get back in the car the Climate is up on 26C or similar (having been left at say 21-22C). I have definitely not set Climate using APP in that situation. However, quite possible that Wife got to car first and her Fob change Profile from Me to Her (but she wouldn't have driven the car at 26C either, but it MIGHT have been set to her Profile when APP turned climate on,a nd since then car has been on my profile for the actual journey)

Also notice it when we are setting off. Maybe we already used APP to pre-heat the car. Get into car, adjust temperature (e.g. down to 21-22C) and then it jumps back up again. Not sure of circumstances but could definitely be that I get back out to do something - e.g. open trunk to rearrange bags or put something else in - and then when i get back into the drivers seat temperature is back up at 26C

I have wondered if it could be that setting Climate from APP is the cause ... i.e. that somehow causes the climate to be FORCED to a setting, again, a bit later on in the journey. I don't think it resets, by itself, whilst driving, only when Parked, but I wouldn't swear to it

Oh my goodness. I just got my 2022 model 3 and experienced this few times. The temp sometimes will be changed to 68F after work (going home) from current manual setting at 67F . This thread started 4 years ago??? I only have 1 profile and it is not tied to easy entry.
WTF? HVAC in "manual" mode means they can tweak it apparently. I have also experienced AC turned on by itself too.
Too "smart" for its own good.
Tesla's lack of quality control is not just on the HW. Or Tesla is fxxking with us just because they can.
Zuckerberg is laughing at people's willingness to hand out personal info to FB. Tesla is laughing at people believing intelligent artificially is superior.

I have something similar, and have also not been able to put my finger on it. I've had it for a while though (some months at least).

One common occurrence is stopping for Supercharge. Both wife and I get out, go and get a cuppa, and when we get back in the car the Climate is up on 26C or similar (having been left at say 21-22C). I have definitely not set Climate using APP in that situation. However, quite possible that Wife got to car first and her Fob change Profile from Me to Her (but she wouldn't have driven the car at 26C either, but it MIGHT have been set to her Profile when APP turned climate on,a nd since then car has been on my profile for the actual journey)

Also notice it when we are setting off. Maybe we already used APP to pre-heat the car. Get into car, adjust temperature (e.g. down to 21-22C) and then it jumps back up again. Not sure of circumstances but could definitely be that I get back out to do something - e.g. open trunk to rearrange bags or put something else in - and then when i get back into the drivers seat temperature is back up at 26C

I have wondered if it could be that setting Climate from APP is the cause ... i.e. that somehow causes the climate to be FORCED to a setting, again, a bit later on in the journey. I don't think it resets, by itself, whilst driving, only when Parked, but I wouldn't swear to it
I have two different profiles I use, depending upon how my back feels. It so happens that one has a higher temperature setting than the other. So, when I change profiles (which is not often), it momentarily surprises me that the temp setting has changed. (One profile also has "Sync'd" temps between the driver and passenger, the other does not.) The other circumstance that can appear to change the temp setting is when you remotely start the Defrost mode, and then open the car without getting in. That seems to shut off Defrost and may leave an odd setting -- not exactly clear on what happens there. But I don't recall the temperature setting changing on its own otherwise.

Oh my goodness. I just got my 2022 model 3 and experienced this few times. The temp sometimes will be changed to 68F after work (going home) from current manual setting at 67F . This thread started 4 years ago??? I only have 1 profile and it is not tied to easy entry.
WTF? HVAC in "manual" mode means they can tweak it apparently. I have also experienced AC turned on by itself too.
Too "smart" for its own good.
Tesla's lack of quality control is not just on the HW. Or Tesla is fxxking with us just because they can.
Zuckerberg is laughing at people's willingness to hand out personal info to FB. Tesla is laughing at people believing intelligent artificially is superior.
Same. My temp setting changes randomly from 69 to 70 A LOT. Dunno wtf is going on.

My temp setting also changes by itself. Sometimes seemingly randomly, and other times the change appears to be triggered when I pull into my driveway. Almost like there is a geo-tag function tied to the HVAC (which I don’t think is a feature).