Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened to the Early Access Program...? ;)

Well if you read my post in the other thread ;)
Just a heads up:

Per Elon on Twitter regarding EAP/ FSD pricing:

Invite to Early Access Program still valid for early adopters

FSD gets you free HW3 upgrade

EAP_still_on.PNG

Reactions: scottf200
The conventional wisdom is EAP/AP doesn't detect signaling cars as potentially changing lanes, so you won't get braking until the lane changing car starts to change lanes (or at least scoots closer to your lane). I'm not sure that's still the case. I've felt on a few occasions the car started to slow in response to only signaling, and no obvious lateral movement from the car about to change lanes.

I've uploaded a clip from yesterday under 2019.5.15. Unfortunately, the clip starts only 1 or 2 seconds before my car starts to brake, and there's about a 1 second gap from the previous clip, so it's less obvious the car is braking. If you watch carefully, you can see my car is slowing by 0:01, prior to the Prius starting to scoot over at around 0:02.

Does this seem convincing, or am I just convincing myself?

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but HW2.0 is currently getting left behind on FW updates as per Teslafi. Are they already deeming 2.0 not worthy?
I think only mcu2 cars got it, no mcu1 cars? That's why it looks like hw2.5 only on tteslafi

Well if you read my post in the other thread ;)
View attachment 385682
It's just wishful thinking because nothing of the sort is even remotely promised. You are just misreading it because it was designed to be misread. The only think Elon is confirming here is that hte matter was discussed in the quarterly webcast.

I just got 2019.5.15 last night and noticed this morning that it's quicker to speed-match an adjacent vehicle as soon as that vehicle moves with a vector toward the lane-line and touches that line. Not sure if that's what happened in your case @Soda Popinski .
This is mcu2 car, right?

It's just wishful thinking because nothing of the sort is even remotely promised. You are just misreading it because it was designed to be misread. The only think Elon is confirming here is that hte matter was discussed in the quarterly webcast.

And here is what was stated in the Q3 2018 conference call Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Q3 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript -- The Motley Fool
Great. And that will be roughly a 1000% increase in processing capability compared to the current hardware and so sounds good, a giant of crew despite being a bump, it costs about the same costs volume and car consumption are approximately the same as the current hardware, but it is a tenfold increment in frames per second and improved redundancy as well. But very importantly, very important to emphasize is that, the only thing that needs to change between the cars used today and cars produced in the second quarter of next year is swapping up the autopilot computer. And this is a simple change that takes less than half an hour and service to upgrade the computer. And one will be able to upgrade their computer to full-self driving capability or upgrade their car to full-self driving capability with a simple service visit. So, we expect all cars with the hardware to sensor suite, basically anything made in the last roughly two years will be upgradeable to full-self driving.

• Helpful

You guys are bamboozled citing Tweets and Earnings Calls. Remember AP1?

Maybe most weren't here then and don't know how little Tweets / public statements / Earnings calls actually mean to reality.

Have you ever cited the first words out of earnings call when using them as promises from Tesla / Elon?

"During this call, we will discuss our business outlook and make forward-looking statements. These comments are based on our predictions and expectations as of today. Actual events or results could differ materially due to a number of risks and uncertainties, including those mentioned in our most recent filings with the SEC. [Operator Instructions]

You guys are bamboozled citing Tweets and Earnings Calls. Remember AP1?

Maybe most weren't here then and don't know how little Tweets / public statements / Earnings calls actually mean to reality.

Have you ever cited the first words out of earnings call when using them as promises from Tesla / Elon?

"During this call, we will discuss our business outlook and make forward-looking statements. These comments are based on our predictions and expectations as of today. Actual events or results could differ materially due to a number of risks and uncertainties, including those mentioned in our most recent filings with the SEC. [Operator Instructions]

Financial safe harbor does not mean they makes stuff up...

And from the same transcript (forgot to post the first time)

Right. So, it's very important to emphasize that people shouldn't (inaudible) if you want to wait until that comes out, but there's no need to wait till it comes out because it's just a very simple plug-and-play change to get the full-self driving. And anyone who is patron for self-driving option, we'll just get it done for free.

• Helpful
@mongo Sure but have not heard of anyone getting invites based on that...

Elon says many things that somehow never just happen. Not saying this one won’t but Elon saying it is not the same as it happening yet.
The only difference is that this is actually now posted on the Tesla website. Of course that still doesn't mean it will happen, and I'm waiting for my invite too. I even emailed to ask about it but struggled to figure out just who or what to email and haven't received any response (unsurprisingly) from whom I did end up emailing.

The only difference is that this is actually now posted on the Tesla website. Of course that still doesn't mean it will happen, and I'm waiting for my invite too. I even emailed to ask about it but struggled to figure out just who or what to email and haven't received any response (unsurprisingly) from whom I did end up emailing.

Was it posted right next to Tesla Network details next year? ;)

So, is your prediction that no HW2 cars will get a free upgrade to the HW3 computer even if the owner purchased Full Self-Driving? Or that only HW2.5 cars will get it, not HW2.0?

And anyone who is patron for self-driving option, we'll just get it done for free.

This is mis-transcribed. These call transcripts are always littered with errors. What Elon actually said (around 14:55) was:

“And anyone who’s paid for the full self-driving option will just get it done for free.”​

Here’s another example of Elon saying the same thing (from October 16):

“~6 months before it is in all new production cars. No change to sensors. This is simple replacement of the Autopilot computer. Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving.”
It’s an interesting problem that the cameras on HW2.0 cars (allegedly) have different colour filters than those on HW2.5 cars, but so far that hasn’t prevented them from running the same driver assistance features, e.g. Navigate on Autopilot. When they haven’t been able to run the same features, e.g. Sentry Mode, I believe the constraint on HW2.0 is compute, not the colour filter on the cameras.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mongo and Joerg
It’s an interesting problem that the cameras on HW2.0 cars (allegedly) have different colour filters than those on HW2.5 cars, but so far that hasn’t prevented them from running the same driver assistance features, e.g. Navigate on Autopilot. When they haven’t been able to run the same features, e.g. Sentry Mode, I believe the constraint on HW2.0 is compute, not the colour filter on the cameras.
It really isn’t believable Sentry Mode couldn’t run on AP2. Dashcam, maybe if it relied on the secondary processor, but there is no such reason for Sentry Mode which operates while parked.

Also there is nothing alleged about AP2 cameras and AP2.5 cameras having different color filters. It is plain as day and well known.

Personally I don’t see @verygreen ’s specific concern about AP2 HW3 retrofits (to me they are as likely as AP2.5 retrofits) but the risk certainly is there Tesla considers the AP2 cameras/sensors inferior for some particular software features (no matter how much again Tesla tried to downplay the difference with their ”AP 2.1” talk back then when they had inventory to move...).

They don't include dashcam/sentry mode because AP2.0 would generate black and white video. @verygreen has posted about this already.

Black and white. ~$100k car. Think about how that looks.

As a side note, people whining about not having dashcam and/or sentry mode need a reality check.

They don't include dashcam/sentry mode because AP2.0 would generate black and white video. @verygreen has posted about this already.

Black and white. ~$100k car. Think about how that looks.

As a side note, people whining about not having dashcam and/or sentry mode need a reality check.

I'm not sure I understand your implication. By "black and white" you mean RCCC with high dynamic range. Which is a fairly common choice for colorspace used by a lot of automotive sensors and even license plate readers / red light cameras. It's not great in a dashcam because the best we've been able to resolve it to human colors is a strange alien world where you get accurate shades of brown and red and everything else is just suspiciously blue.

But still, it's not like Tesla's primary motivation for AP2.0's colorspace was cheaping out on dashcams. Those are driving cameras first and foremost, and they probably believed back then they needed an extra clear channel to deal with sunlight and night time driving conditions, where 3 clear channels gets you a lot more dynamic range.