Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And calling around to a dozen service center is a colossal waste of resources.
No it's not, because I've never once had Tesla answer the phone. They've fixed that waste a long time ago and now only let you text in the app.

If your issue isn't the HW cost, but the "colossal" waste of resources from having to ask if it's now free as it should be, the then why isn't Tesla just making it free for everyone, which would make it really easy?

I notice you have 2019+ cars with HW3, so it's a fascinating bit of gatekeeping here for something that doesn't impact you except for your worry over $TSLA stock prices (which I think Elon is doing a fine job of tanking by himself, not sure a few texts to a service center are the cause of that).

No it's not, because I've never once had Tesla answer the phone. They've fixed that waste a long time ago and now only let you text in the app.

If your issue isn't the HW cost, but the "colossal" waste of resources from having to ask if it's now free as it should be, the then why isn't Tesla just making it free for everyone, which would make it really easy?

I notice you have 2019+ cars with HW3, so it's a fascinating bit of gatekeeping here for something that doesn't impact you except for your worry over $TSLA stock prices (which I think Elon is doing a fine job of tanking by himself, not sure a few texts to a service center are the cause of that).

Behind everyone one of those app requests, someone has to look up the VIN, check for FSD orders, work up a proposal/estimate and post it. Every time. That takes work, it’s not automated, and it’s wasteful. Especially for something of no present value without the software to go with it.

For the record, my Model 3 shipped with HW2.5. It was upgraded - once FSD software was available.

It absolutely impacts me, and all of us, when someone chews up service time. Feel the same way about using mobile service for tire rotations and the like — save those resources for where they’re useful, instead of things that can and should be done elsewhere. Same with “end of warranty” inspection silliness.

Especially for something of no present value without the software to go with it.
But it does have value without an FSD software license.
Traffic light chimes and FSD visualizations are included with all HW3 cars even without FSD. HW2.5 cannot read speed limit signs.
As described in this thread, only HW3 can run the new visualization stack, which is all Tesla is doing development on form this point out.
And finally, you can subscribe to FSD for $99 a month if you want to.

Given HW2/2.5 clearly cannot run FSD, and there ARE features due to the HW even if you don't buy FSD, they owe it for free to everyone, because there are both promises that are unmet and damages (loss of functionality) from that unmet promise.

Traffic light chimes and FSD visualizations are included with all HW3 cars even without FSD. HW2.5 cannot read speed limit signs.
As described in this thread, only HW3 can run the new visualization stack, which is all Tesla is doing development on form this point out.

Given HW2/2.5 clearly cannot run FSD, and there ARE features due to the HW even if you don't buy FSD, they owe it for free to everyone, because there are both promises that are unmet and damages (loss of functionality) from that unmet promise.
Traffic light chimes but not braking on AP right? And it's $199 right?

Traffic light chimes but not braking on AP right? And it's $199 right?
Correct, chimes.
I'm assuming basically everyone with HW2.5 has EAP, or else they have no AP functionality at all*. If you have EAP, subscribing to FSD is $99, not $199. This means that given right now "buying" FSD is $9,000 if you have EAP, and a subscription is $99, you're looking at a 8+ year break even to have buying make sense. Of course Tesla can change that sub price, but they haven't so far as EAP->FSD has gone from $3K to $9K.

*Yes, I am aware there was a narrow period in 2019 where Tesla switched to basic AP while HW 2.5 was still being used.

I had to have a passenger seat restraint alert taken care of, so I scheduled an appointment, AND, asked for a HW3 chip upgrade. It came back as an $1000+ upgrade at the Peabody, MA SC. I went ahead with the appt, because my SC is 3hrs away, and time is money, and wasting another 10+hrs driving there, waiting for service and driving home is not worth trying to save $1000 on a chip upgrade. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Correct, chimes.
I'm assuming basically everyone with HW2.5 has EAP, or else they have no AP functionality at all*. If you have EAP, subscribing to FSD is $99, not $199. This means that given right now "buying" FSD is $9,000 if you have EAP, and a subscription is $99, you're looking at a 8+ year break even to have buying make sense. Of course Tesla can change that sub price, but they haven't so far as EAP->FSD has gone from $3K to $9K.

*Yes, I am aware there was a narrow period in 2019 where Tesla switched to basic AP while HW 2.5 was still being used.

that's me narrow period in 2019 where Tesla switched to basic AP while HW 2.5 :(

I recently decided to keep my 2018 Model 3 RWD for the foreseeable future and as part of that decision decided to upgrade the HW 2.5 to 3.0. I only have basic AP on my car but wanted the visualizations and whatever improvements may come with future updates.

Fully expecting to pay $1,000 I setup a service appointment last week. To my surprise the estimate was $0. I even later added wiper and filters and the estimate was $122. Yesterday, I went in for service, computer was upgraded and lo and behold I only paid $122.

Thinking this was a one-off lucky situation, my friend in Nashville requested the same service and also received a $0 estimate. He goes in for the upgrade this Monday. I think Tesla may no longer be charging this $1,000 upgrade fee?
Using a simple tool, all the personal info you blocked out can easily be found, in fact I have already succeed in doing this. I have deleted it and have not shared it. Please note this. Next time take a .png instead of a .pdf.

Can you show me where when you bought the car you were promised traffic light chimes and special visualizations?

(spoiler: you can't, because you weren't)

On the other hand you were promised HW for actual FSD functionality.

Which you will have swapped into your car - for free - when you actually buy FSD. Because until then it's irrelevant compared to what you were promised at vehicle purchase time.

How about when Tesla said all cars are capable of FSD but then required a HW upgrade for said FSD? Is it not legitimate service to have my car upgraded to what Tesla said was initially possible?

See post directly above yours. You were promised your car was capable of doing FSD.

So as soon as you actually buy FSD tesla will, at no cost to you, upgrade your HW to do it.

Reactions: dmurphy
You're a shareholder in a company that sold cars with the explicit promise: "All cars have all hardware needed for full self driving capability"

If you're worried about a few people getting HW3 for "free" (when it should already be free due to the earlier promise), you should be terrified of the fact they are announcing HW4 and the exposure there on 2M HW3 cars instead of the 100K cars that have HW2.
That's a lot of e-waste.
2 million computers and 16 million cameras.
Yes, I'm fully aware 100% of the cars won't be upgraded - possibly not even 25%. But for a company that is supposed to be doing good for the environment by getting rid of ICE, ugh, those numbers just sound bad.

FSD turned out to be a much more difficult problem to solve than it was first thought to be in 2014, eight years ago.
(Or Tesla should have just let MobilEye handle it, but Elon nuked that bridge long ago.)

I had to have a passenger seat restraint alert taken care of, so I scheduled an appointment, AND, asked for a HW3 chip upgrade. It came back as an $1000+ upgrade at the Peabody, MA SC. I went ahead with the appt, because my SC is 3hrs away, and time is money, and wasting another 10+hrs driving there, waiting for service and driving home is not worth trying to save $1000 on a chip upgrade. That's the way it goes sometimes.
Dang. Peabody, MA SC is where I got my HW3 upgrade free, and I saw one other person in this thread get it done free there as well.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
FSD turned out to be a much more difficult problem to solve than it was first thought to be in 2014, eight years ago.
(Or Tesla should have just let MobilEye handle it, but Elon nuked that bridge long ago.)
But claiming it was coming any day now made Elon the richest human on the planet, and wasn't that the actual goal? Never would have happened if they had let someone else develop it. Seems like they succeeded at capitalism.

Remember, Elon didn't even get stock unless it crossed a threshold on a specific date. He's way ahead to pump it even if it crashes eventually. Anything is better than 0.

Reactions: vickh and MrFusion4
But claiming it was coming any day now made Elon the richest human on the planet, and wasn't that the actual goal? Never would have happened if they had let someone else develop it. Seems like they succeeded at capitalism.

Remember, Elon didn't even get stock unless it crossed a threshold on a specific date. He's way ahead to pump it even if it crashes eventually. Anything is better than 0.

I for one am grateful for his pump and dump schemes. it allowed TSLA to get terminal velocity and deliver on the SR 3. The car is worth much more than $35K (and was an appreciating asset for a while) Note: I didn't buy into the stock hype since I only buy and hold dividend type stocks (not a trader)

FSD hype, subscription pricing also helps subsidize the cost of the hardware too (not partaking there either, although I did bite for the $2K AP)