Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 in Model 3 since ~4/12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Right under the pricing it tells you:

Which is the official name of the HW3 computer.

it's included in the price of FSD
(which Elon has been telling us since mid-late last year, but Tesla finally officially stated on the order page as of a few weeks ago)

OK, I see it on the new order page. It is not referenced anywhere on my Autopilot Upgrade page. Not an issue, I know it’s included. Just curious.

Reactions: willow_hiller
OK, I see it on the new order page. It is not referenced anywhere on my Autopilot Upgrade page. Not an issue, I know it’s included. Just curious.

We never got a definitive answer from @MakeUSGreat on the veracity, but on a previous thread there was a claim made that a blue connector instead of a white one at a certain spot underneath the trim indicated HW3. Model 3 with autopilot HW3 option APH4

I haven't personally tested it because I'm still afraid of breaking something on my brand new car...

I placed my order 2 days ago and matched with a car that was produced on 4/16. I asked 3 different rep, 1 told me it has new chip and 2 told me no (and that model 3 only started to install with HW3 on 4/22). I requested to wait for one with HW3 but was told that there is no guarantee, even I wait for a customer order (deliver within 2 weeks); if I want a guarantee, best to wait 6 months.

Not sure how accurate that is, but thought I would share with everyone.

I placed my order 2 days ago and matched with a car that was produced on 4/16. I asked 3 different rep, 1 told me it has new chip and 2 told me no (and that model 3 only started to install with HW3 on 4/22). I requested to wait for one with HW3 but was told that there is no guarantee, even I wait for a customer order (deliver within 2 weeks); if I want a guarantee, best to wait 6 months.

They announced HW3 now called FSD computer 4/22, but started installing 4/12. You should have it.

Why do you want to wait for a car with HW3? If you are buying full self driving, you will get it for free (eventually). If you are not, then there is supposed to be no benefit, I keep maintaining that it might be better to be retrofitted into HW3 than actually have it in the car now, given how Tesla iterates on both design and software.

Its likely that by the time that HW 3 is being actively retrofitted into cars (vs being installed at the factory right now), that there will either be a slightly upgraded board (with no fanfare ) or at the very least features that actually take advantage of it (or both).

So... what is the reason for waiting (just curious)?

The only answer I can see is, "I want HW 3 for resale value but I dont intend to ever purchase FSD"

Go ahead with the car, it should have HW3.

One downside of having HW3 is that there is no "no confirmation NOA", no sentry mode and I'm guessing the power increase update isn't there either. I think the general consensus is because of HW3 and they're still trying to catch it up with the latest firmware. Mine is on 7.105, some are on 102.

My vin is 210xxx. My car came off the production line on 4/15 at 9am. My firmware is 2019.7.105. The service center contacted me today and told me the next update I will get will be 2019.12. It should come in the next week. They also said they are skipping all the 8.5 and all the other ones because it won’t work well with my car and there were too many bugs in 8.5 and 8.6

• Informative
Reactions: thewait and Kmartyn
Ordered on 4/25, thinking I would get a custom built one with HW3 (I ordered FSD). Scheduled to pick up on 5/4, and rep told me today that it was built the second week of April, but has HW2.5. After considering cancelling my order and starting over (to also get the 5k supercharger miles), I decided to just accept this one, knowing it will eventually get HW3, and preferably once the software is ready for primetime with the new chip. I would prefer to use all the new features (Sentrymode, etc...) while they are working it all out...

I didn’t order FSD, but the salesperson said that since they would have to order my car from the factory (due to unavailability of config/color), my car would come with the HW3 computer. However, I just got my serial number, and it’s 317XXX, so it sounds like I won’t have HW3. Yes, I want to future-proof my car. But I also think that HW3 might offer improved Autopilot performance. (I asked the salespeople about that, and they didn’t know. Honestly, they didn’t seem to know much.) I can ask the Delivery Advisor if it has HW3, but I’m not confident that what I’m told will be factual.

I didn’t order FSD, but the salesperson said that since they would have to order my car from the factory (due to unavailability of config/color), my car would come with the HW3 computer. However, I just got my serial number, and it’s 317XXX, so it sounds like I won’t have HW3. Yes, I want to future-proof my car. But I also think that HW3 might offer improved Autopilot performance. (I asked the salespeople about that, and they didn’t know. Honestly, they didn’t seem to know much.) I can ask the Delivery Advisor if it has HW3, but I’m not confident that what I’m told will be factual.
I was told the same due to my color combo, MSM/white seats. My VIN is 195XXX

I had the same question, no one could confirm for me, even though I started with 7.105. I just went to the Tesla.com site, opened up a chat (new support function), the guy took my phone no. and looked up my car and confirmed I have HW3, also gave me specific date of build: Birthday: Tue Apr 2 16:56:33 2019. Piece of cake!

Even though my car was built April 2, it had HW3

Why do you want to wait for a car with HW3? If you are buying full self driving, you will get it for free (eventually). If you are not, then there is supposed to be no benefit

Where is this information coming from that HW3 will not provide any future benefits to non-FSD vehicles? Has Tesla come out and stated this or is this speculation? I can’t see any reason to buy a car at this point with HW2.5 if you are not ordering FSD. Why assume that Tesla will never improve any non-FSD functions for HW3 users? You get no discount for taking a HW2.5 car so why take the chance?

Reactions: Nrazar
4/19 build VIN 361447

Verified with my SC that my car has HW3. Initial software version was 10.7.2 but was updated to 12.1.2 last night. I've been reading that HW3 cars are running different software than 2.5 cars. Not sure which to believe.

While the MCU runs the same firmware now, there is a separate AP2/AP2.5/HW3 firmware that's pulled down from the mothership and applied to the AP unit depending on which of the 3 you have.

Anyone know or can tell me if my model 3 has hw3? My vin ends in the following 6KF332535. It's an LR RWD and the sticker on door says 4/2019 I wasn't that bothered but recently saw that traffic cones will only be displayed for 3.0 hardware cars :/

Looks like yours was made the month they started to change. There was a mix of HW2.5 & HW3 shipped for a couple of months after that.

You would need to check with Tesla, or inspect the computer under the dash on the passenger side, or install the latest software, and see if you have cone visualization.

Looks like yours was made the month they started to change. There was a mix of HW2.5 & HW3 shipped for a couple of months after that.

You would need to check with Tesla, or inspect the computer under the dash on the passenger side, or install the latest software, and see if you have cone visualization.
If u have standard AP (not FSD) will it still render cones if I have 3.0?

I still have yet to receive the latest 5% power increase update I'm on version 2019.32.12.2 58f3b76

That isn't the latest version is it?