Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully in 3-4 years they'll have figured out how to allow you to add a waypoint in the nav system.

Like those GPS units were already doing 15 years ago.

My Teslas inability to do so seems a lot more embarrassing a "simple thing it somehow still can't do" than the dancing cars thing.

It's not a failure- it's using the system someplace it is explicitly not intended to be used

The manual is pretty clear on that.

The fact it often does seem to work in places it's not at all meant to doesn't mean it's a failure when it suddenly doesn't work there.

Which is the primary place the system is actually meant to be used.
LOL! I knew when I was posting this that you'd come along with this response. I don't completely disagree with you either by the way.

So yes, my use of the term "failure" was likely unfair.

But I guess my concern/question is WHEN will we see Tesla pivoting towards attempting to enable Full Self Driving? The example that I've provided seems fairly basic and I'd think that they'd want to start ironing these sorts of issues out before attempting to tackle things like stop sign and traffic light recognition or navigating turns in intersections. This is a basic feature of using auto steer to drive the car down a road between the lane markers without worrying about anything else.

I'd love to actually test out another vehicle with auto steer features (like Volvo's Pilot Assist) to see how to handles these exact same scenarios. My wife is wanting an XC90 so maybe I'll get a chance to do this sooner rather than later.

just a lot of instances where I start to use autopilot and get a little disgusted with its lack of finesse or the heavy phantom braking slowing the car down 30 mph or more quickly or the unintended incomplete lane change attempts or the hugging of the center divider placed to close to the lane on so many freeways around here or the constant brake checks when no one is entering my lane or the (insert various problems here)
If that's "scaring" your passengers I'll suggest there is instead at the root of the issue a serious biological input error. :p

It isn't flawless but GD it is good. If you measure it up against anything out there it is years ahead. I guess expectations could colour that a different way, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: CarlK
If that's "scaring" your passengers I'll suggest there is instead at the root of the issue a serious biological input error. :p

It isn't flawless but GD it is good. If you measure it up against anything out there it is years ahead. I guess expectations could colour that a different way, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Absolutely. "Scaring" the passenger does not sound like a good metric. People can easily get scared because they are not in control. Many people have fear of flight but never pilots. My wife yells at me half dozen times for my dangerous driving every time she's in the car but I'm a good driver with an almost perfect driving record. She most certainly will be "scared" if she's in a self driving car, even if it's much safer than my driving, only because she does not know what it is doing. The only valid measurement is accident rate compares to other human or machine driven cars.

Last edited:
But I guess my concern/question is WHEN will we see Tesla pivoting towards attempting to enable Full Self Driving? The example that I've provided seems fairly basic and I'd think that they'd want to start ironing these sorts of issues out before attempting to tackle things like stop sign and traffic light recognition or navigating turns in intersections. This is a basic feature of using auto steer to drive the car down a road between the lane markers without worrying about anything else.

But in your previous post you indicated that you're driving it through intersections where there are no lane markers for part of the road.

Specifically you said

You said:
When it picks up the left hand lane marker on the other side of the intersection it assumes it's the right hand lane marker and wants to pull your sharply into the left lane

This is one of the reasons you're not supposed to use the system at all in places with intersections.

It's not meant to work there, so there's nothing they need to "fix"

You even noted on highways, where lane markers tend to be continuous, it works well.

FSD will be intended to handle local/city driving including intersections, stop lights, and stop signs, and currently Tesla has indicated those features will begin to roll out by the end of this year (for those who bought FSD... for those who only have AP or EAP those features aren't part of their packages)

I'd love to actually test out another vehicle with auto steer features (like Volvo's Pilot Assist) to see how to handles these exact same scenarios. My wife is wanting an XC90 so maybe I'll get a chance to do this sooner rather than later.

Most comparisons I've seen in magazines/articles consistently rate Teslas system better than anything else other than maybe Caddy Supercruise- and Supercruise won't even activate unless it's on not just a divided highway, but a divided highway that has been detail-lidar-mapped in their system.

Most comparisons I've seen in magazines/articles consistently rate Teslas system better than anything else other than maybe Caddy Supercruise- and Supercruise won't even activate unless it's on not just a divided highway, but a divided highway that has been detail-lidar-mapped in their system.

Caddy's approach is like a blind person who has the technique to negotiate simple and familiar areas. Tesla's is like a toddler learning how to walk. It does not matter who could do what now we know who will eventually walk perfectly everywhere or play basketball and who will not.

Jesus you guys are relentless aren't you, if one does not praise every aspect of the car then they are against it?, I love the car and will never buy anything but a Tesla!, the autopilot may be light years ahead of others but it has many flaws and my input is not one of them, in fact it seems that it was much smoother in previous software iterations and I cannot remember exactly what version that it started to take a step backward, when I first got my car in April of 18', certain software updates would keep making it better and smoother then one day it seemed to start going in the opposite direction, but of course it must be me and my inadequate driving/operation/understanding of the system/etc....

But in your previous post you indicated that you're driving it through intersections where there are no lane markers for part of the road.

Specifically you said

This is one of the reasons you're not supposed to use the system at all in places with intersections.

It's not meant to work there, so there's nothing they need to "fix"

You even noted on highways, where lane markers tend to be continuous, it works well.

FSD will be intended to handle local/city driving including intersections, stop lights, and stop signs, and currently Tesla has indicated those features will begin to roll out by the end of this year (for those who bought FSD... for those who only have AP or EAP those features aren't part of their packages)

I can already tell I'm dealing with a person who has to be right so... you win. You're right of course. I'm crazy.

I can already tell I'm dealing with a person who has to be right so... you win. You're right of course. I'm crazy.

You're not crazy, you're just refusing to accept what the owners manual pretty clearly explains as the existing and intentional limits of the systems operational domain.

You're welcome to engage the system in places it's not even intended to be used, but you can expect when you then complain it didn't work right that people might point out it's not even intended to do so in those places.

Once tesla rolls out the set of features (to HW3/FSD owners) that are intended to work in those conditions, if it THEN doesn't work correctly, that'd be a perfectly valid criticism of something that's supposed to work not working. Now though? Not so much.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have HW2.5 with original EAP.
Overall I'm happy with it. But it does give me phantom braking at times on freeway or wigs out if a parked car is too close to flowing traffic.

Will HW3 improve the system so these things don't happen anymore? Because if it can't, there's no way this car can go FSD on regular city streets.