Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One problem to solve is the temporary storage of the green energy produced from the sun and the wind.

There are different solutions, like using batteries, pumping water to an elevated lake, moving weights to the top of a tower....

Generating Hydrogen is another alternative.

However the whole process of converting electricity into gas, compressing the gas, and converting back the gas into electricity is not very efficient.

One argument to justify the use of Hydrogen, from Trevor Milton, Nikola CEO,
is that the Hydrogen will be generated from "Free" left over electricity from Green energy, Nuclear energy, burning trash... which would have been lost.

What do you think about this argument, considering that, well, the sun energy, wind energy, hydro energy from lakes or oceans... I believe are free.

Note: Methane is currently the principal way to produce the Hydrogen used for cars and trucks.

As you correctly note, producing H2 from electricity, and then electricity from the H2 is extremely inefficient. Meanwhile, as we all know, electric motors are very efficient. So storing energy by pumping water or by raising weights is vastly more efficient than using H2. And even batteries are far more efficient than e->H2->e.

As nwdiver points out, we should be using electrolysis to produce the H2 that we need for industrial uses, not as storage of excess solar. There is absolutely no excuse for burning any fossil fuel to produce electricity in sunny regions.

Here's a solution:
Something's Up With Floating Solar Panels And Hydropower

Energy developers have begun to pepper hydropower dams with solar panels, and some interesting twists are already beginning to bubble up in that area. In Germany, the company Vattenfall is adding pumped hydro energy storage to the mix. And, if a team of US researchers has their way, rafts of floating solar panels will enable Brazil to avoid building new hydropower dams.

Not "all."

San Francisco has both electric cable cars and electric street cars.
They also have electric "trolley buses" that run from overhead lines.

1920px-Muni_5_Fulton_trolleybus_at_Temporary_Transbay_Terminal%2C_December_2017.JPG

Trolleybuses in San Francisco - Wikipedia

I remember when there were trolley cars in L.A. But I don't remember what it was like riding in them. I was too young to remember at this remove. However, I lived for a semester in Guadalajara, Mexico, circa 1997, and there were (IIRC) two electric trolley or trolleybus lines. It was so wonderful. I get motion sick easily and one of the things that makes it worse is the low-frequency vibration of a diesel bus (or even a car) when idling at a stop. An electric trolley, like any other EV, is completely quiet and vibration-free when stopped. And there's no exhaust and virtually no noise.

It was all the more remarkable because of how filthy and polluting most of the busses in Mexico are. In Oaxaca it was so bad when I was there that it seemed as though they had a reverse-pollution law requiring all busses to spew out thick black smoke constantly.

"This only serves to underscore the absurd state of the hydrogen distribution network, which is dependent on trucking liquid hydrogen across the country so that drivers there can run their vehicles without tailpipe emissions. Outlets in California appear to be buying the hydrogen from Air Products, which produces it in Louisiana and Texas, primarily for use by petroleum refineries."

Wow, just wow.

This always reminds me of George Carlin. "The planet is fine, the people are f$$$ed".

• Funny
Reactions: Johan
That's because battery factories make economic sense and get built for commercial reasons.
Most hydrogen projects on the other hand are heavily dependent on subsidy and won't be built without it.

Musk and friends pointed out during the recent battery day that the materials used in pack production are shipped around the world a couple of times before all is said and done. That was one of the main reasons for now localizing the supply chain. At small scale the supply chain is inefficient and haphazardly located around the world.

So it is not subsidy per se, but scale.

More hype: Powerpaste Stores Hydrogen Energy | State of Clean Hydrogen

Scientists from the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Materials IFAM in Dresden made the sludgy gray paste, which heats hydrogen with magnesium and stabilizers so the hydrogen can be stored in cartridges even at room temperature. That's it in the photo above.

What results is a stable medium that its makers say is 10 times more energy-dense than lithium-ion batteries

Sounds good, except for this part:
“When it comes time to release the energy, a plunger mechanism extrudes the paste into a chamber where it reacts with water to release hydrogen at a dynamically controlled rate, which then feeds a fuel cell to create electrical power with which to run an EV powertrain or other device. Part of the paste's impressive energy density comes from the fact that half of the hydrogen released comes from the water it reacts with.”

Yeah, impressive that part of the "energy density" is not contained in the paste :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: miimura