Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't bet on a hydrogen car anytime soon - washingtonpost.com

PH2009111602675.jpg

... None of that is impossible. It's just stupendously difficult and probably pointless. That's why, for the foreseeable future, the hydrogen car will remain a tailpipe dream.

My reading of this is that it's a coal fired plant. They use some process to extract H2 from coal, use the H2 to power a gas turbine, which runs the generators. Then, they sequester the CO2 from the coal and, um, do something with it.

Maybe it's interesting because it's more efficient than a standard coal fired plant, or because it's easier to sequester the CO2 then when you directly burn the coal, but fundamentally the process is coal+ O2 -> CO2 + H2O + energy, same as when you burn it. They just have an intermediate step where they have free H2 and then burn that to make H2O.

First Drive: Mercedes B-Class F-Cell - Autoblog UK

But there are considerable downsides, not the least of them being the lack of a refuelling network. Building a matrix of hydrogen pumps is vastly more expensive than installing charging stations for EVs, which is why Mercedes and several infrastructure providers have committed to build a network in Germany that it's hoped will spread at a decent pace across Europe - though it's looking less good for isolated Britain.

Presumably, it's still a leasing exercise.

Mercedes-Benz launches B-Class F-Cell, leases to begin in early 2010 — Autoblog Green

BMW rumored to quit hydrogen but just dropping Hydrogen 7 — Autoblog Green

We hadn't heard much about BMW's Hydrogen 7 for a while. Some people thought this signaled the end of the Bavarian marque's interest in hydrogen technology. The rumor was so widespread that the Germany newspaper Handlesblatt even recently reported that BMW was giving up on developing hydrogen cars altogether. In response, the company quickly denied the report. In fact, in the press release found at Germany's Clean Energy Partnership (PDF in German), BMW states that work on vehicles that burn hydrogen in an ICE, as is done in the Hydrogen 7, has now run its course, although the existing models will be still serviced. BMW says that it is now focusing its hydrogen efforts on fuel cells and on improving the hydrogen storage devices, such as cryogenic reservoirs.

For about as long as I have been reading about alternative fuelled cars (which is a long time), I've read that BMW would launch a hydrogen version of the 7 series in "this generation". I think 3 or 4 generations have passed since I first read that.

However they try to spin it, this is huge news. One of hydrogen's biggest supporters gives up on its intent to build a production model. By retreating to the position of just carrying out component research, they are going from H2 being "5 years away" to it being at some unspecified point over the horizon.

I think AC Propulsion must take a little credit for that :smile: