Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DOE announces $41.9 million investment into fuel cell technology

The Feds aren't done with hydrogen just yet. In an effort to "[lay] the foundation for a green energy economy," the Department of Energy has just announced a $41.9 million dollar investment in fuel cell technology using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (a.k.a. the Stimulus Bill). The first industries expected to benefit from this funding will be emergency backup power systems and material handling applications, better known as forklifts. The DOE forecasts nearly 1,000 new fuel cell systems will be deployed immediately.

It looks as if I need to start actively fighting this madness since I live in NY.
GM wants New York state to lead in fuel cell cars | cell, fuel, new - Local News - WRGB CBS 6 Albany
Daniel O'Connell of the auto maker's fuel cell lab in Honeoye Falls, near Rochester, says Friday that GM is working with state energy officials on developing a series of filling stations across the state, with the hope they will be in place before widespread production of fuel-cell vehicles in the next five or six years.

Honda May Develop Plug-In Autos as Obama Alters U.S. Policy - Bloomberg.com

Honda finally relents and say they are looking at plug-in hybrids rather than stubbornly staying only with hydrogen. So at least there is some progress.

Greg Blencoe of "For Hydrogen Advocates Only" blog (seems like he changed the name to "Hydrogen Car Revolution" now) has always argued Honda's reluctance to approach plug-ins and to stick with hydrogen is the strongest argument for hydrogen. This kind of news puts a big dent in that argument.

Former President George W. Bush in 2003 committed $1.2 billion in federal funds to a 5-year program aimed at speeding development of hydrogen as a vehicle fuel as part of efforts to wean the U.S. from its reliance on imported oil.
So far, President Barack Obama has announced no new federal effort to promote the fuel, and federal funding for hydrogen for transportation use in the 2009 budget dropped to $177.7 million this year from $211.9 million, according to the Department of Energy Web site.
This is the sort of change I was hoping for.