Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! I will give @nwdiver credit to have even found this scam post, true to his claim.
@nwdiver was feeling all excited to have found proof that no one wants these cars in CA.

@nwdiver Did you just pick this from another H2 FUD article on some other pro-EV site? Another of the bogus posting by the author?
It looks like a scam for sure. First clue was already pointed out.
Second clue: 99% fo Mirais are leased. What is the chance some odd private owner buys it and posts a scam like ad?
Third clue: It is near Santa Monica. That doesn't have the fuel shortage.
The card also has name, and it comes in two chunks I believe. There are some doubts about teh card claim also. If ti was from a dealer, I could understand.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...NEMENT&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=55404

Well, I mean...it's not like there aren't quite a few really cheap Mirais for sale in CA. I couldn't weed out the multiple of the same vehicle listed through Carvana, unfortunately.

EDIT: I was able to remove the multi-post listing. There are around 37 Mirais, most quite a bit less than $20k:

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...NEMENT&sort=relevance&stkTypId=28881&zc=55404

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and ohmman
Current H2 availability in California.

603ADAA7-7439-41D2-901F-38A40B9B5016.png

4F8AEBA4-66B2-4C52-976A-E73F7DF489D1.png

I can’t imagine the misery of driving an H2 car right now. Based on the Facebook groups it’s just a never-ending dance of trying to find very expensive fuel and hoping the filling mechanism doesn’t freeze or go down if one is lucky enough to find any gas.

It’s an inherently foolish way to power private passenger cars.

• Love
Reactions: ohmman and miimura
Fuel card or not there is very little demand for Mirais on the used market.

There are many of them on cars dot com for less than $14,000, representing an abysmal 76% three-year depreciation rate.

The only reason Toyota moved any of them in the first place was insane incentives, carpool stickers, and employee lease specials. A friend of mine working for Toyota was offered a $249 lease special on a Mirai with the $15,000 fuel card. Basically a free car for three years after the state refund and it still wasn’t enticing enough.

I remember Toyota predicting 6k deliveries per year delivered with H2 below $5/kg by this point in time. Oops.

That is a curious advertisement.

If the car has 36,000 miles on it, and it costs about $70 to drive 300 miles...that card should have ~$7,000 left.

The owner getting free H2 from somewhere? Do not all stations take the free fuel cards?

What likely happened here is that some dealerships are using the $15k fuel card to clear out CPO Mirais. So this was a CPO that had ~36k miles on it. Maybe the H2 station near them is no longer dependable so they're selling their car with the remaining balance of the fuel card that came with the car.

I linked to this video earlier but you may not have seen it...

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
H2 presence is about lack of batteries, and therefore faster achievement of ZEV only cities plus sufficient storage for renewables.

When?

Lately it's been difficult to take HFCEV seriously because BEV growth has been strong. CARB targets 47k HFCEV vehicles on the road by 2024 — but Tesla put over 150k BEVs on California roads in 2018 alone. Today, ZEV growth is almost entirely due to BEV, which get greener with the grid. HFCEV are classified as ZEV, but they aren't really green because almost all H2 comes from natural gas. CARB targets 34% renewable by 2024, but many BEVs charge on high-renewable grids today (my own is 100%).

BEV is well ahead of HFCEV, and hasn't stopped growing. How and when will HFCEV catch up?

why are you still spinning around the thermodynamics?

H2 presence is about lack of batteries, and therefore faster achievement of ZEV only cities plus sufficient storage for renewables.

.... seems like the least insane solution would be to improve the battery supply... NOT use a technology that uses twice as much energy...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JRP3
What likely happened here is that some dealerships are using the $15k fuel card to clear out CPO Mirais. So this was a CPO that had ~36k miles on it. Maybe the H2 station near them is no longer dependable so they're selling their car with the remaining balance of the fuel card that came with the car.

I linked to this video earlier but you may not have seen it...

More misinformation? Do these pro-EV bloggers get an automatic membership in club #H2Q? ;) 23k viewers sucked it all up, no questions asked..

- Showed no proof or links of the claimed $15k fuel card on used Mirais 'selling in the teens'. Just goes by "hearsay" but feels obligated to spread the misinformation anyway.
- "entire SF bay area is out of hydrogen" - No, it isn't. Unless she doesn't understand what that area means.
- compares a $22k Mirai with a $100k+ Mode S P100D and declares the latter as a better deal! Duh, if everyone had that money lying in their bank account. What world does she live in?
- Doesn't understand how h2 refueling works. The stations don't need to be up 24 hours. Just the 3 minutes I one needs.

Anyone figured out yet what's happening to the 600+ kg of hydrogen in the area daily, if all fuel cell cars are parked in driveways? :confused:

Oh, haven't heard anything from that scam poster with $14k fuel credit yet. Go ahead, ping him for me. Get his (or her) number.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ohmman