Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai vs. Tesla | Why Hyundai Poses the Biggest EV Threat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weaning?

Definition of wean

transitive verb
1: to accustom (a young child or animal) to take food otherwise than by nursing
2: to detach from a source of dependence
3: to accustom to something from an early age —used in the passive especially with on

Doesn't even make sense. And then video 2 continued to misuse the term. I'm pretty sure they meant "wane"

Regardless, the Ioniq 5 looks pretty interesting but good luck getting one. > 12 month wait when we placed the order for our MYP (which ended up being a 3 month wait)

• Funny
Reactions: gavine and Casss
I can understand why the H/G/K cars are considered competitors. With the Fed tax credit, a MY with EAP as the only option is approx $25k more expensive than a Ioniq 5 Limited, $22k/$12k more than Genesis GV60 Advanced/Performance. Personally, I am moving ahead with my MY order and expect delivery in another month or so. But, it is really hard to pass on desirable features not available on my Tesla such as ventilated seats, front and rear cross traffic alert, HUD and a killer 360 view system. Features like this and lower price will drive many customers away from Tesla.

There's no doubt that competition is coming. They have a way to go to compete with Tesla's software and charging reliability, but competition will make the entire EV sector better including Tesla. Prices should also start to drop once there is more competition, so it will be a win for all consumers. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Reactions: cusetownusa
EVs come down to 3 factors: battery, software OTA & charging stations-Tesla killer is non existent now-am not a fanboy!
Think again, one of my friends own a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and recently I drove it which did not impress me as good as Tesla but boy the charging is whole another level.

It truly only takes 18 minutes from 0-80%, we can brag all day about Tesla Superchargers and superior network but there is no way you can beat that charging time.

Once you get used to that kind of charging only then you will understand and reluctantly will start appreciating it.

It is truly a game changer and honestly that is almost equivalent to gas car timing ( in terms of longer trips).

Now, we will definitely have people here who will say they rarely do long trips, they charge at home and owned tesla for x amount of years and never had a problem etc, etc but the thing is either they did not experience the fast charging and don't realize how it changes the EV experience or just don't want to accept that some other brand is good at it.

AND, THAT is the only thing I like in IONIQ 5 and that unfortunately is big deal( Charging time).

H/G/K are still pretty far in terms of initial sales and manufacturing. The rumor is, they are planning to open a new EV factory in the SE and pump out the I5, EV6, and GV60 based on the EV platform they have. The main issue right now is that their production happens in South Korea and then they ship the cars to the US. While they have a really strong feature set, they still lag behind Tesla for overall value in terms of the battery, the engine, and storage space. They are closer to the model 3 in terms of space but the performance lags a bit. Factor that and the current state of CCS chargers in the US, it makes them much less of a threat to Tesla. If the conditions change and more CCS L3 charging is available/reliable, and the production gets cheaper due to a SE plant, they can be a real contender.

Think again, one of my friends own a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and recently I drove it which did not impress me as good as Tesla but boy the charging is whole another level.

It truly only takes 18 minutes from 0-80%, we can brag all day about Tesla Superchargers and superior network but there is no way you can beat that charging time.

Once you get used to that kind of charging only then you will understand and reluctantly will start appreciating it.

It is truly a game changer and honestly that is almost equivalent to gas car timing ( in terms of longer trips).

Now, we will definitely have people here who will say they rarely do long trips, they charge at home and owned tesla for x amount of years and never had a problem etc, etc but the thing is either they did not experience the fast charging and don't realize how it changes the EV experience or just don't want to accept that some other brand is good at it.

AND, THAT is the only thing I like in IONIQ 5 and that unfortunately is big deal( Charging time).
No Denying the Ioniq 5 is charging beast, so long as all conditions are favorable. If the battery is cold, you're in for a long disappointing wait without the battery preconditioning.

Reactions: Anothergeek

I can only report on my charging time. Currently, H/K do not condition the battery. I didn't keep records, but charge time in many instances really sucked...not counting the number of times the charger didn't work or a VW ID4 was hogging the only available 350'Kw charger. And, native navigation just tells you that you will need to charge on your trip, it is up to you to figure out where and navigate to it. Their infotainment software is really outdated, driver screen is especially archaic. Don't get me going on their useless LKA system. Unfortunately, most buyers will not be aware of these very basic failings.

I think Tesla's battery preconditioning is one of those things you don't miss and/or don't think is usefull until you don't have it. I've seen so many threads about how people don't want to precondition the battery or it wastes energy. I personally wouldn't want to be without it. It's a game changer when temps are cold.

I also own Polestar 2, while I just love the driving experience, solidness and the build quality of polestar, charging time is what sucks on polestar and ruins the experience and that is the reason I mostly use that for city driving and take it for long drives only when it is absolutely necessary. I live in Texas and fortunately all my drives are four or less to any major city with in Texas and I rarely drive out of state.

with that said, Polestar did not had pre conditioning when they launched it but now, with constant OTA updates, feature has been implemented and also the charging curve improved tremendously 10 -70 % in 25 minutes which is in par with Tesla, the point is all the shortcomings pointed out are fixable apparently if they can send updates via OTA. 800 V charging is something you cant fix.

Personally I think government should have made it mandatory for EV manufacturers to implement 800V charging from 2023.

Most people driving ICE cars are scared of EV's mostly because of charging time ( Of course price as well), making 800V mandatory would have helped EV adoption quicker than anything else.

One of the Tesla's executive in recent interview pointed out that they could have implemented 800V charging and saved $100 per car but decided against it just because $100 is not big of deal for them and clearly they are selling everything they make.

For a company whose Mission/Vision is to accelerate sustainability and accelerate EV adoption, that is lame statement that savings are not big enough to justify change.

Reactions: Daekwan
I can understand why the H/G/K cars are considered competitors. With the Fed tax credit, a MY with EAP as the only option is approx $25k more expensive than a Ioniq 5 Limited, $22k/$12k more than Genesis GV60 Advanced/Performance. Personally, I am moving ahead with my MY order and expect delivery in another month or so. But, it is really hard to pass on desirable features not available on my Tesla such as ventilated seats, front and rear cross traffic alert, HUD and a killer 360 view system. Features like this and lower price will drive many customers away from Tesla.
Not if you've driven a Tesla. There are some things that "ventilated seats" can't compensate for, and them lowering their prices make it obvious they know what their cars are worth. You get what you pay for.

I agree that is a great feature and selling point for the Ioniq 5 and EV6. I also would like my Y to be able to charge that fast.

However, at least where I live (Central NY) and make long road trips, currently the public charging network is bad enough to completely eliminate that advantage. There are very few fast chargers and some locations only have 1 or 2 chargers. Not only do you need to hope they aren't being used but also need to hope they work as there wouldn't be any other options to charge. If a charging location even has a 350kW charger for the Ioniq 5 to take advantage of, there will only be 1.

When I tested out my CCS1 adapter last week at the nearby fast charger, there was an Ioniq 5 charging on the 350kw station, a bolt charging a 150kw station at only 30kw, and the other 150kw station wasn't working. Not very confident inspiring for long road trips.

I talked to the Ioniq 5 owner and did see that her car was charging very fast so I waited for her to finish. I used the same charger for my Model Y and it didn't charge nearly as fast as her Ioniq 5 but still worked very well. She did say on her trip from Buffalo that she experienced charging issues with the fast chargers being out of order and only 1-3 stations at each location. So a lot of waiting for a working station.

The public fast charging experience needs to improve a lot...I believe it will eventually, I hope.