Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-44 Superchargers in Missouri-maybe talked to the right person finally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a welcome addition for New York City to Los Angeles.

Two additional places to add SC to the route would be Mt. Vernon, IL (I 64 & I 55) and near Evansville IN (intersection of I 64 and US 41 or I 69) This would link to new SC in Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH as well as accommodating many north and south connections.

Reactions: jvonbokel
As a note of nostalgia, supercharging I-44 will complete the virtual supercharging of historic route 66!

From Historic Route 66:
View attachment 109954

It's amazing how many of the cities and towns shown on that graphic, that define Historic Route 66, have or will have a Supercharger!

I just turned (age) 66 and in a couple months my wife does, too, and we're currently planning on driving Route 66 to the extent feasible around September. The I-44 SpC construction is timed perfectly! With our starting and ending point in Tucson, the road trip will be a bit wacky, but what's new?

I like the Rolla, SGF, Joplin, Tulsa plan better than FLW. I wonder where they would install the SC around 65/44 exchange. Cracker Barrel seems like a good place to start. It would be nice to top off in SGF before heading out to KC or STL.

108 days - what could be taking so long? Is the process timeline in Missouri mandated by the state or is it governed by local ordinance requiring readings at several hearings before approval?

It's not the state with the mandates. The local town governments are usually heavily influenced by local businesses and such so the process can drag on for a while. Like... only as an example... maybe the College wants the supercharger closer or further away for whatever reason. They could slow the process down to a stop but Tesla may never actually be given the reason why so Tesla has to just try different sites until the right one is picked. Kind of like Columbia MO witch finally has a SC after a long selection and cancellation process.

There are also different local ordinances that can slow things down and personal preferences of the board. Like if the submitted plans don't show XYZ green space or ZYX fencing it has to be redrawn up and resubmitted and the council/board may meet only once a month. Then in the next meeting they point out one other thing like signage is too large. That can go on for months rather than just pointing out all the issues at once.

I am just thrilled it is happening. If the process would have started a year ago we might actually have them done some time this year. With local politics it could be a week or next year. I think Tesla was previously putting chargers in places that were friendly to the idea. Then they moved on to places that were indifferent and now they are on places that are resistant.

• Helpful
It's not the state with the mandates. The local town governments are usually heavily influenced by local businesses and such so the process can drag on for a while. Like... only as an example... maybe the College wants the supercharger closer or further away for whatever reason. They could slow the process down to a stop but Tesla may never actually be given the reason why so Tesla has to just try different sites until the right one is picked. Kind of like Columbia MO witch finally has a SC after a long selection and cancellation process.

There are also different local ordinances that can slow things down and personal preferences of the board. Like if the submitted plans don't show XYZ green space or ZYX fencing it has to be redrawn up and resubmitted and the council/board may meet only once a month. Then in the next meeting they point out one other thing like signage is too large. That can go on for months rather than just pointing out all the issues at once.

I am just thrilled it is happening. If the process would have started a year ago we might actually have them done some time this year. With local politics it could be a week or next year. I think Tesla was previously putting chargers in places that were friendly to the idea. Then they moved on to places that were indifferent and now they are on places that are resistant.

Well certainly that is possible. I would be surprised if localities do not have to follow some state guidelines, although different localities have additional ordinances / practices etc which must be followed unless a variance is requested and granted. That would be why I would think Tesla (and any other non local corporation) would be represented by someone familiar with the specifics of the local permit / zoning authority. Outside of Cook county (Chicago) where graft is a tradition, things should move a bit more quickly.

Sudre's post is extremely accurate. I heard (off the record) that one location (Miner, perhaps?) required a special convening of a local board that hadn't met in 8yrs. I guess some of these towns just don't have a lot of construction/electrical permits coming in on a regular basis.

I just called the Rolla, MO building permit department and they said the permit has been paid for and approved for months. Whoever was working on it at Tesla Corporate was on a medical leave and no one has following up on it. I just called the St Louis Tesla office to follow up with Tesla Corporate. We drive to Branson, MO 2-3 times a year and it is a major hassle charging at Green Stay hotels along the way. It adds an extra 2 hours to our trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: efusco
EVtripplanner.com suggests Columbia -> Topeka -> Wichita. If you replace Topeka with Independence, it says you'll use 242 rated miles to cover the 209.5mi distance from Independence to Wichita driving at around 70mph.
We did Topeka -> Wichita last month on the tollway, and were really feeling some range anxiety there at the end despite slowing to 60 mph. 2014 P85 and we left with a predicted 20% on the range calculation, ending with 11% at Wichita.

• Informative
Thank you all..we leave friday and was debating if needed to hit topeka or not..our car is a 90d and this will be our first real road trip..
Aha, I generally assume S85 (probably because that's what I own), but for a 90D, EVtripplanner actually recommends Columbia -> Independence -> Wichita.

Whichever route you take, best of luck and please do come back and let us know how it went.