Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bought a 6 digit car...not a video game.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no setting to disable rain sensing and have regular intermittent for those two wiper stalk settings and I'm MCU1. He stated specifically that his MCU2 was capable of this adjustment. What other conclusion am I supposed to draw?

I have MCU 1 with HW 2.0 (2017) and can disable auto wipers in control panel/vehicle. Perhaps you have AP1. I thought all AP1 cars had a dedicated rain sensor.

On my 2017 MS HW 2.0, if I turn off the “auto-wipers beta” in the control panel/vehicle (last option), it reverts back to using “intermittent”. I have two intermittent speeds displayed as 3 dots on the stall and then also four dots. Then also shows constant on low (single line) and constant on hi (double line). The slowest is still a bit too fast for my tastes but if it truly is a very light mist, I just leave the wipers turned off all the way and just push the side button once in a while. But typically the slow intermittent settings works well for me.

When auto wipers is turned on, the 3 dots represent low sensitivity and the 4 represent high I believe. I’d have to refer to the user manual to double check that. But intermittent low, high and constant low are what I use.

(Just realized that ucmndd replied as well. So....what he said.)

Thanks. Was not aware of that. My owner's manual says it is an option in my AP1 car, as well*, which I did not know! And yes, my car is an AP1 car with a dedicated sensor. I will have a look at the screen the next time I am in the car (if I remember), to verify the option is there. But generally, I am happy (enough) with the rain sensing function. It works well enough. The function was mediocre in my Mercedes cars that had a similar function, too. I imagine it is not easy to get it to work well under all conditions -- rain, snow, daytime, nighttime, etc.

*CORRECTION -- The Owner's Manual in my car makes no mention of any option to turn off the Beta function, and i could not find it on the car's control screens. So, apparently the version of the manual that I downloaded from my Tesla account page is either incorrect or out of date....

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
It seems that every other recent update has to do with some enhancement to games or other entertainment distractions.

I'd really like Tesla to prioritize updates to vehicle operability...better navigation, autopilot, internet browser, or user interface (how about a trunk release button on the main menu, a favorite phone numbers list, or better stereo usability and configurability?).

I just got an update this weekend. My scratchpad and Chinese typewriter is supposed to work better now. Life is good again.

I am familiar with V8 and V9 and I have MCU 1. Sure, you don’t have quite as much control over the screen layout and maybe turning off climate control takes an extra 2 seconds (if you don’t use the steering wheel for it), but it isn’t “that” bad. At least now you can have 3 things up at once depending on the app. Maps, rear camera and music which is exactly what I use. Would I like the ability of to pick exactly the apps running I want and where I want them placed on the screen, sure. But not to the point of OMG, ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!! Some people just are too overly dramatic.

As far as the drop in sales of the S/X in Q2, why is anyone surprised? Lots of people were holding out for a “refresh” and it didn’t become really available until the later part of Q2. If you are going to buy a really expensive car, wouldn’t you wait a supposed few months until the latest version is about to come out based on some speculation by the media? It will be interesting to see how sales do for Q3 since the Raven will have been out the entire quarter. If sales are still way down, then “maybe” you have something. But it’s also not apples to apples comparison compared to a year ago. The shorter range S is no longer available which may price some people out and the performance 3 is very reasonably priced.

"Would I like the ability of to pick exactly the apps running I want and where I want them placed on the screen, sure."

And why shouldn't you be able to, that's what you bought, isn't it. We were sold a car that was suppose to "IMPROVE" over time, that's a whole lot different than, we may trash your car OTA for our convenience, if we change hardware, so that we can run only one software, and that may not be compatible with yours. :( Bummer Tuff S for you.

I don't consider the Raven some big refresh, but we will see. I can tell you why some didn't get sold, including one to me, and some other known members of this forum, is that they showed us, with V9, that moving, what they think is forward, is all the counts. and if their early supporters are collateral damage, oh well. That doesn't work for me. When they offered ludicrous, free to existing, I would have been in, except that they showed me, that I can't trust them with OTA and I can't opt out, and I would have v9 on a new car= unacceptable to me.
I'm still on V8, and X out of their BS downgrade screen every time I get in the car.

I’m not sure what conclusion you’re supposed to draw, nor am I sure who “he” is, but you’re confused.

What is the build month/year of your car?

Edit: Sorry, just looked at your sig. Both of your cars are AP1. That’s the differentiator - not the MCU.
This makes zero sense. So anyone with an AP1 MCU1 car just gets hosed in the rain and nothing can be done about it?

It seems that every other recent update has to do with some enhancement to games or other entertainment distractions.

I'd really like Tesla to prioritize updates to vehicle operability...better navigation, autopilot, internet browser, or user interface (how about a trunk release button on the main menu, a favorite phone numbers list, or better stereo usability and configurability?).

Just got the most recent update and sadly though I can now play chess in the car they have not fixed the long standing bugs with the media player and USB audio :(

I'd like to think being able to reliably listen to music in the car while driving is more important than playing a game while parked...

Reactions: David29 and RayW
This makes zero sense. So anyone with an AP1 MCU1 car just gets hosed in the rain and nothing can be done about it?

I just traded in my 2016 p90dl, and it had ap1 hardware and thus a dedicated rain sensor. It worked as well as any rain sensor I've had on mercedes and bwm cars I've owned. Sensitivity setting one was useless, but setting two was ok. None of them, on any car, was ever stellar.

I was under the impression that it was ap2 and later that had real issues. They didn't even have rain sensors for the longest time. Perhaps your sensor needs to be serviced.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16